U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM

7,376 posts, read 15,536,323 times

Advertisements

I need a winter coat down here for about two weeks of the year when I'm at home and for some travel situations. If I want a new one, I but it on sale at the end of the season for next year- my clothing taste is generally classic rather than trendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 02:19 PM

10,977 posts, read 19,385,994 times
We don't get much cold weather here. I have a couple of thin knit hoodies and two very thin quilted reversible jackets, and that's all I need. I have one long black wool coat that I bought only because it was 6.50 at goodwill, with the store tags still on, but I haven't had an occasion to wear it.

My daughter gets cold more often than I do, and she's got a lovely collection of leather coats from thrift stores that she wears often.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM

6,326 posts, read 3,408,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
If you walk around my cold weather city (an i wonder if yours is the same as well) you'll notice people's choice of winter coats seems to run the table of those who don't bother buying one, and are still wearing their light spring and fall jacket -- to people who spend 700 dollars on a logo'ed parka-type thing built to go on an antarctica ice fishing trip.

I bought a nice shearling coat I found at a thrift store new, for like 60 bucks a few years ago now. Which I would say is my nicest one. I still have a pea coat and ski shell thing I bought like 15 years ago. It works good to layer with for cold days which ido with a leather jacket it under it. I also have a couple of army jackets which i usually wear to the gym or casual. I work in an office and it would look weird otherwise.

I was thinking of getting a new one. Macy's has a 50% off sale; plus i got a 30 dollar gift card.

Altho it sounds like i got a lot of jackets...
I have several great coats for different purposes, and several jackets from light to hooded & heavy.

My great coats - I got a full length Ann Klein coat w/hood that I had drooled over at Macy's...found it by accident at Burlington's on a great sale. I got my red car coat at Sam's Club (London Fog, nice wool blend) for a great price.

My heavy jackets for walking the dog were on sale @ J C Penney. One is hooded. Navy pea coat type coats.

Lightweight jackets: One from Target (my favorite jacket) & is casual barn coat type jacket. Navy cord jacket from a high-end consignment shop.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:24 PM

19,823 posts, read 13,057,123 times
I don’t think much of Macy’s coats. I think they are not quality garments, although Macy’s in a major metro area might have a better selection than what I found here.

I think it is best to buy one new coat or jacket every year. So, yeah, I have a few.

LL Bean makes good coats. There should be some sales. That’s where I would look, frankly.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 28 days ago)

13,492 posts, read 19,236,352 times
The smart frugal person would determine where the lowest cost of living location, for their particular situation, was and move there.
This would most likely mean: not needing a Winter coat.
For example: Roanoke, Alabama.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:52 PM

6,326 posts, read 3,408,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t think much of Macy’s coats. I think they are not quality garments, although Macy’s in a major metro area might have a better selection than what I found here.

I think it is best to buy one new coat or jacket every year. So, yeah, I have a few.

LL Bean makes good coats. There should be some sales. That’s where I would look, frankly.
It's not the store. It's the brand of coat. Macy's, Dillard's, & other stores would carry both quality and not so high quality garments, depending on the brand. Those stores carry some of the same brands that Nordstrum's carries.

LL Bean is very expensive. The only thing I've had an interest in there is an adirondack barn coat, but after looking for several years, I gave up. The only time they go on sale is when there are almost no sizes or good colors left. I'm an avg size, so have not been able to get it on sale.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 2,165,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
A few years ago, I was visiting my son in San Diego, in November. He and I were walking on the pier of one of the beaches, and I noticed 2 ladies walking side by side, all bundled up. Winter coats, hats, gloves, etc.

I, having come from VERY cold weather in St. Louis, was walking around in a long sleeved top, and I was very comfortable. I would say the temp was somewhere between 50 and 60.

I think it all depends on what you're acclimated to. I'm sure those ladies thought it was cold. I was thinking I was getting nice break from winter. lol
Yes, you acclimate to the extremes of your area.

Im usualoy a warm person, my oh is usually cold.

I know people who were born/raised/live in Florida, for instance who cant stand temps down by 60°f and below. They have no idea how we can stand bitter cold NY winters.

Beibg born in the northern territories of the midwest and raised in NY, i can withstand the cold. ( i dont like it anymore but i can stand it).

Tonight temps will be single farenheit digits. Wind chills lower. Ambient temp tonight is 6°f. Tomorrow night 8°f. It will be that until it starts to warm up around 9 am...to a whole 15°f.

I have a couple of " winter " jackets and a parka. I dont like long voats or bulky coats. I wear: a tshirt, a long sleeve heavy or flannel shirt, a sweater and my jacket.
Layering like that i think helps keep you toasty warm on the bitter cold days.
If i need to, i wear boxer briefs, long johns and wear merino wool socks over my polyester socks.

I have a light weight winter shell puffy jacket. A heavier jacket and the parka.

If i were in 60° temps now, I'd be in shorts and tshirt!!!

Its all in what you are used to.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM

211 posts, read 66,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's not the store. It's the brand of coat. Macy's, Dillard's, & other stores would carry both quality and not so high quality garments, depending on the brand. Those stores carry some of the same brands that Nordstrum's carries.

LL Bean is very expensive. The only thing I've had an interest in there is an adirondack barn coat, but after looking for several years, I gave up. The only time they go on sale is when there are almost no sizes or good colors left. I'm an avg size, so have not been able to get it on sale.
Agree been looking at ll bean ... it is super expensive. Not to mention some of the reviews that read: "it's not really waterproof" or "the inside of the jacket started flaking off".

Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM

24,440 posts, read 31,666,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Macy's carries lots of quality coats. They carry brand names - they don't make them.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM

24,440 posts, read 31,666,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
Agree been looking at ll bean ... it is super expensive. Not to mention some of the reviews that read: "it's not really waterproof" or "the inside of the jacket started flaking off".
LL Bean makes quality clothing. You can return an item up to a year after purchase if you are not satisfied. And they have many things on sale. Also REI - same deal. Excellent return policy, quality outerwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living