U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 PM

17,332 posts, read 21,352,403 times

Advertisements

I shop for stuff like this at Ross Dress for Less, as much as possible. I bought a down white parka around 2012 at one. My daughter talked me into buying it, even though I thought buying a white winter coat was crazy. I was going to Canada for a visit with some friends.

It hasn't seen a ton of use since that trip, but it's my warmest winter coat for coldest days, and it does get used every winter here in CA for part of our winter.

It finally got too dirty and yellowish around the sleeve cuffs and around the neck that it was getting embarrassing and I didn't want to spend money on dry cleaning it, figuring it would never really get clean enough to look new. So, even though it was down and it said dry clean only, I decided to try just soaking it in bleach overnight and washing it in a washing machine and drying it, figuring I had nothing left to lose.

It came out fantastic! Looks brand new! I just removed the hood, which can just be unzipped from the jacket, before bleaching and washing it. The hood didn't need to be cleaned.

So, the moral of the story is - before you just toss a "dry clean only" item, go ahead and try washing and drying it. You might get lucky.

It is a good quality jacket, though not a name brand. It also needed a little mending where one seam had started to split open on one sleeve, which I was able to mend quickly with needle and thread.

So, I just spent $1.00 for bleach at the Dollar Tree, and used my little portable washer in my apartment to soak and wash it, and spent $1.75 to dry it in the apartment building laundromat. And I should get at least a few more years use out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 AM

211 posts, read 66,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LL Bean makes quality clothing. You can return an item up to a year after purchase if you are not satisfied. And they have many things on sale. Also REI - same deal. Excellent return policy, quality outerwear.
I've been looking at the same ski shell thing for months now. It is the same 200 dollars. Maybe if i looked at XS and in purple and pink I could get it on sale. Otherwise I cannot get my head around the ridiculous price. I can go to macy's and get a water repellent, parka for less money than that. Far less.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:40 AM

12,100 posts, read 14,665,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've never been a fan of heavy winter coats. Layering works so much better and most layering pieces (unless you are a clothes horse who has to be in style) are less expensive and more versatile that that massive bulky coat anyway.
My philosophy as well. I do have a winter coat, but only wear it when it gets very cold. Hey, doesn't this belong on the Fashion forum?

Old 01-12-2019, 07:16 AM

211 posts, read 66,844 times
^

No this is not fashion as those discussions in that forum aren't centered around price and quality but well...fashion. This discussion has more to with utility of clothing: keeping warm at a reasonable expense etc.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 AM

831 posts, read 239,237 times
I haven't bought a winter coat in decades. My 3 coats:

1. Dressy camel hair coat I bought at Brooks Brothers in 1983. It has a union label, Still looks great and keeps me warm. It cost $450 but I'm still wearing it 30+ years later so I say it's frugal.

2. Big, heavy down coat that DS (now age 33) didn't want. It's big on me but who cares?

3. Lighter Columbia jacket that belonged to my late mother. I got it 2 years ago.

My general philosophy: pay up front for good stuff and use it till it wears out.

BTW- I accidentally left the down coat in a locker at the gym. If it had disappeared I probably would have looked for something similar at a thrift store. I was happy to find it still there the next day.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM

12,157 posts, read 16,876,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The smart frugal person would determine where the lowest cost of living location, for their particular situation, was and move there.
This would most likely mean: not needing a Winter coat.
For example: Roanoke, Alabama.
You forgot the winter AL declared state of emergency after a blizzard.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 AM

12,157 posts, read 16,876,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
^

No this is not fashion as those discussions in that forum aren't centered around price and quality but well...fashion. This discussion has more to with utility of clothing: keeping warm at a reasonable expense etc.
I simply do not go outside when it is cold.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 AM

1,958 posts, read 811,862 times
I have a low-end but serviceable winter coat that I got for $1 at a thrift store in AL. Nylon parka type with detachable hood. Big enough to layer under it with a fleece jacket.

Now that I am in the frozen north during the winter, I am nervous that the zipper will malfunction as it is the only winter coat I own. Oh well, plenty of thrift stores around here.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM

3,331 posts, read 2,923,232 times
If you buy quality, $200 coat can last you for years. It can be a great investment. For places that don't discount much, you may need to anticipate the sale season and buy when you get that percent or $ off discount. That may be the only sale you get.

I had bought a nice coat about 20 years ago from either Lands End or LL Bean. I'd still have it, but my body changed after pregnancy. I gave it to my sister when she visited. She wore it for years. I haven't bought a coat in several years because we don't need them very much here. I'm still using the ones I bought 8-10 years ago. I bought them on major sale in January or February at the end of the season.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 AM

21,365 posts, read 26,658,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
............ not needing a Winter coat.
For example: Roanoke, Alabama.

Yes, but I don't want to live in Roanoke Alabama. I want to live near the mountains and I like the snow. Its no problem to dress comfortably for the winter. My winter heat bill isn't any higher than the summer air conditioning bill in Alabama.

I prefer cold weather to hot weather. If I'm too cold I can put on a jacket. If it is too hot, there isn't much can be done about it except to never go outside and creep from air conditioner to air conditioner. No thanks.

But I will acknowledge that many people move from up north to places like Florida to escape cold weather. Just not me. I prefer a snow blower to mosquitoes and high humidity. And I can budget for and afford a good coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living