U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM

24,582 posts, read 31,765,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I've been looking at the same ski shell thing for months now. It is the same 200 dollars. Maybe if i looked at XS and in purple and pink I could get it on sale. Otherwise I cannot get my head around the ridiculous price. I can go to macy's and get a water repellent, parka for less money than that. Far less.
Then do that. Obviously if youíre only going to look at a specific item, then youíll pay a premium if itís not on sale. When I shop there I only buy things on sale. Thatís why I said what I did. Look for value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I haven't bought a winter coat in decades. My 3 coats:

1. Dressy camel hair coat I bought at Brooks Brothers in 1983. It has a union label, Still looks great and keeps me warm. It cost $450 but I'm still wearing it 30+ years later so I say it's frugal.

2. Big, heavy down coat that DS (now age 33) didn't want. It's big on me but who cares?

3. Lighter Columbia jacket that belonged to my late mother. I got it 2 years ago.

My general philosophy: pay up front for good stuff and use it till it wears out.

BTW- I accidentally left the down coat in a locker at the gym. If it had disappeared I probably would have looked for something similar at a thrift store. I was happy to find it still there the next day.
LOL. My coats never wear out. Thatís the problem. I canít even count how many coats I have now, far too many I expect.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, but I don't want to live in Roanoke Alabama. I want to live near the mountains and I like the snow. Its no problem to dress comfortably for the winter. My winter heat bill isn't any higher than the summer air conditioning bill in Alabama.

I prefer cold weather to hot weather. If I'm too cold I can put on a jacket. If it is too hot, there isn't much can be done about it except to never go outside and creep from air conditioner to air conditioner. No thanks.

But I will acknowledge that many people move from up north to places like Florida to escape cold weather. Just not me. I prefer a snow blower to mosquitoes and high humidity. And I can budget for and afford a good coat.
Iím with you. No thanks to humidity and mosquitoes. Been around that all my life and Iím over it. Iíll take cold weather any day. I can always put more clothes on if Im cold. You can only take so many off.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM

12,201 posts, read 16,925,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I've been looking at the same ski shell thing for months now. It is the same 200 dollars. Maybe if i looked at XS and in purple and pink I could get it on sale. Otherwise I cannot get my head around the ridiculous price. I can go to macy's and get a water repellent, parka for less money than that. Far less.
Then quit looking.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,357,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybluesy View Post
a few years ago, i was visiting my son in san diego, in november. He and i were walking on the pier of one of the beaches, and i noticed 2 ladies walking side by side, all bundled up. Winter coats, hats, gloves, etc.

I, having come from very cold weather in st. Louis, was walking around in a long sleeved top, and i was very comfortable. I would say the temp was somewhere between 50 and 60.

I think it all depends on what you're acclimated to. I'm sure those ladies thought it was cold. I was thinking i was getting nice break from winter. Lol
+1

Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 PM

727 posts, read 265,386 times
I live in a place with very cold winters. Like -40 happens occasionally, and -30 every year. A winter coat isnít just an option. Because of this, there are tonnes in the thrift stores. I have a heavy lined ski jacket I got for $15, a light ski shell ($10), and a real wool overcoat ($20). All great quality.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:10 PM

617 posts, read 286,878 times
I live where we get some cold winters. It's 1į outside right now and it'll go into the negatives overnight. I typically go for a five mile walk three times a week at 7:15a.m. so you can bet I need a coat that keeps me warm.

First off I dress in layers, thermals are a must on the super cold days when I'm headed outside. Then two to three other layers for my top, usually just one more layer for my bottom, and my go to jacket is always a lands end. They keep me warm, they're not too bulky, and they last for years.

My favorite red one is at least seven years old and going strong. Lands end can be pricey, so I am patient and wait until their Black Friday sale. I usually get the jacket for half off and since it lasts for several years, it's well worth the price I've paid.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:21 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,095,480 times
I buy very good quality coats on sale at the end of the season and wear them until they are worn out or have some other fatal flaw. I do have an ancient Lands' End parka that is pushing 20 years old. It's what I wear for shoveling snow. Like I'm going to have to do tomorrow. For chilly, but not freezing cold, weather, I wear layers.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,095,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I live where we get some cold winters. It's 1į outside right now and it'll go into the negatives overnight. I typically go for a five mile walk three times a week at 7:15a.m. so you can bet I need a coat that keeps me warm.

First off I dress in layers, thermals are a must on the super cold days when I'm headed outside. Then two to three other layers for my top, usually just one more layer for my bottom, and my go to jacket is always a lands end. They keep me warm, they're not too bulky, and they last for years.

My favorite red one is at least seven years old and going strong. Lands end can be pricey, so I am patient and wait until their Black Friday sale. I usually get the jacket for half off and since it lasts for several years, it's well worth the price I've paid.

How do you keep your feet warm on that walk? That's what always kills my outdoor activities when it is extremely cold: cold toes that hurt! I can always put my hands in a pocket. But feet, not so much.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 PM

507 posts, read 212,230 times
I also live in NY- Upstate. At this point I’ve got a coat for every occasion. When it is very cold I wear an llbean ski jacket or a down parka I bought over twenty years ago (just had it dry cleaned). Multiple hats, gloves, mittens, scarves, and boots; I’ve got them all. Sometimes I feel like the kid brother of Ralphie in The Christmas Story. The parka is basically a down comforter with sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living