U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM

211 posts, read 67,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Then quit looking.
Don't tell me what to do. At the same time, don't tell me some camping gear, ll bean, plain vanilla chinese made thing is somehow frugal. When it is obviously not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM

21,423 posts, read 26,771,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
How do you keep your feet warm on that walk? That's what always kills my outdoor activities when it is extremely cold: cold toes that hurt! I can always put my hands in a pocket. But feet, not so much.

I'm not Crazy4Chickens, but I can answer that question: you buy and wear snow boots. My every day ones are felt lined and I have a nice pair pf Uggs that are sheepskin. I can't wear the Uggs too often because they are too warm unless it is really cold out. Plus, I won't wear the Uggs when it is wet or slushy because I don't want to get them dirty.

Costco always sells some good snow boots for a fair price. This year they had Ugg knock-offs for about 25% of the price of Uggs.

I used to wear moon boots but the place I bought them quit selling them and the ones I see for sale are too pricy for me. But moon boots are a good choice for keeping feet warm in winter.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 AM

6,718 posts, read 3,736,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not Crazy4Chickens, but I can answer that question: you buy and wear snow boots.
And wear wool socks, not cotton!

Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM

24,582 posts, read 31,765,437 times
Quote:
How do you keep your feet warm on that walk? That's what always kills my outdoor activities when it is extremely cold: cold toes that hurt! I can always put my hands in a pocket. But feet, not so much.
Boots?? Goretec makes for warm feet!!! I have many different kinds of boots. I can walk for miles and miles in the snow....no problem.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 AM

7,484 posts, read 5,538,969 times
When I lived in Minnesota, I had something like 8 "winter" coats. I had a super heavy Carhart, that kept me warm in the coldest situations if I had a job to do outdoors in the winter (I was a bouncer at the time,) I had a pea coat, a long overcoat that went well with a suit, a coat that I could wear to professional situations but that I didn't mind getting snowy or salty, one that I kept nice for dates and whatnot. I didn't buy them all at once, but I did use them all. In fact, two of them were gifts. Also, it was nice to have a spare when one got wet or filthy.

Layering is nice for a camping trip but a PITA when you have to shuck layers and keep them somewhere.

Now I live in North Carolina. I still have the Carhart and one nicer coat, also the formal heavy coat. The "Nicer Coat," the one I wore to dates and my business-casual workplace on days when it wasn't dumping snow, is the one that seems to be used hte least. The Carhart still has a place on hunting trips and snow days and days when I need to work in the yard and its cold. The formal heavy coat gets little wear, but about as much as it ever did. Other than that I have a handful of light-heavy sweater jacket types.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Boots with 1200+ grams of thinsulate do the trick. I had a pair that I'd wear ice fising (so literally standing on ice all day) and my feet wouldn't get cold.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:55 AM

4,642 posts, read 11,707,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I've been looking at the same ski shell thing for months now. It is the same 200 dollars. Maybe if i looked at XS and in purple and pink I could get it on sale. Otherwise I cannot get my head around the ridiculous price. I can go to macy's and get a water repellent, parka for less money than that. Far less.
The land's end squall parka is on sale right now for $107. All sizes & colors.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Agree been looking at ll bean ... it is super expensive. Not to mention some of the reviews that read: "it's not really waterproof" or "the inside of the jacket started flaking off".
Quote:
Don't tell me what to do. At the same time, don't tell me some camping gear, ll bean, plain vanilla chinese made thing is somehow frugal. When it is obviously not!
If you need quality stuff, be prepared to pay for it. I'm not saying don't look for a sale, but all the same.

Where do you live? Minneapolis has worse winters than St. Louis and St. Louis is worse than New Orleans. buy accordingly.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 PM

13,650 posts, read 43,535,075 times
One of my best (warmest) coats is an old Army surplus fatigue jacket, with the optional liner installed. Have had it about forever, didn't pay much for it. Typical of Army gear, it is heavy though.

While I am not hot on used underwear, a used coat is fine with me. Goodwill and etc. particularly in the richer parts of town frequently have great values.

Or, yeah, buy new from outlets. REI has good outdoor oriented clothing. Some camping/ski stores have not only good deals on new, but also used coats.

Probably a good down coat is the ultimate in light and warm clothing.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 PM

7,402 posts, read 15,578,698 times
I just got an e-mail from Uniqlo (think Japanese version of The Gap but with American sizing for their North American stores) and they're starting to put their nice middle weight puffy down coat on sale for the season. Starting from $39.99 and the company is pretty picky about quality control- I've liked everything I've bought from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living