U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 04:31 AM

3,864 posts, read 2,208,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And wear wool socks, not cotton!
Yes. I have merino wool ( non itchy non scratchy and very soft) socks i wear as when the temp drops below 45f my feet become like ice cubes.

Sometimes i double sock it.

And i always wear furrylined slippers or shoes on my feet.

There are plenty of ways to stay warm in the cold or bitter cold weather. Its really not hard.

Layers, heavier or filled coats/jackets, hats gloves etc.

Heck, I dont even wear gloves intil it reaches 20f and below. Thats when my fingers get cold.

And i dont wear boots unless there's a foot of new snow.

Its like in the snow belts, they know how to care for/clear the roads, so snow is rarely a problem ( except of course the blizzards that snow an inch an hour or so that its hard to keep up....but even that doesnt stop us if we really need to do something like go to work or get home).

Its all in what you are acclimated to.

Here in the frozen north we are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM

10,539 posts, read 3,566,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
If you walk around my cold weather city (an i wonder if yours is the same as well) you'll notice people's choice of winter coats seems to run the table of those who don't bother buying one, and are still wearing their light spring and fall jacket -- to people who spend 700 dollars on a logo'ed parka-type thing built to go on an antarctica ice fishing trip.

I bought a nice shearling coat I found at a thrift store new, for like 60 bucks a few years ago now. Which I would say is my nicest one. I still have a pea coat and ski shell thing I bought like 15 years ago. It works good to layer with for cold days which ido with a leather jacket it under it. I also have a couple of army jackets which i usually wear to the gym or casual. I work in an office and it would look weird otherwise.

I was thinking of getting a new one. Macy's has a 50% off sale; plus i got a 30 dollar gift card.

Altho it sounds like i got a lot of jackets...
I've had the same black overcoat (double lined) for at least 5-6 years. Believe purchased for around $80.
Pocket ripped 2 years ago. Took it to tailor's, and had it sewn up. Great jacket -- will use it for many more years.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:24 PM

23,560 posts, read 22,538,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes. I have merino wool ( non itchy non scratchy and very soft) socks i wear as when the temp drops below 45f my feet become like ice cubes...
My feet get cold when the temperature drops below 75. My son was here this weekend and asked, "Mom, what's wrong with your feet?!" I reminded him that I had Raynaud's. My hands become cold quite easily, but warm up faster.

Coats. I have a Corinthia of Austria parka which is quite warm. My husband used to work for a company which sold them, so he bought it at the wholesale price. I found my warmest coat on a clearance rack at T.J.Maxx.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:29 AM

49 posts, read 12,555 times
I purchased a new coat this year during the Thanksgiving sales for $20. My go-to coat for cold, snowy weather is a down coat I picked up on clearance 7 years ago for $50. I have a closet full of coats, not because I buy one every year, but because I haven't gotten rid of many over the years. They don't have to be expensive, and you don't have to replace them every year. Get a more costly one and keep it for years, or go cheaper and replace more often if you prefer. Just don't replace the costly ones often. If you aren't in need of an arctic weather parka, then don't shell out the big bucks for one! My most expensive coats were purchased 25 years ago when I liked to go downhill skiing. I don't do that anymore, so I don't buy those any longer. I did get one for my husband for Christmas last year, because that style/quality is more useful for him even though he doesn't ski. It was around $100 on sale. He will also keep it for years.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:14 PM

21,581 posts, read 15,621,079 times
I wear my coats for years and years.
If I am in the market, however, I wait until they go on sale in January or February.
Great deals to be had then.

There are great options at my local thrift shops too, but most of the good ones go as soon as they go out in October/November in my area.
Always worth a look though.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,317 posts, read 38,319,422 times
I still wear my Frostline kit 'Goose Down Coat'.

I made it while in 4H ~ 1960's

I recently bought another identical one ... just like new off Etsy $24.00
If it lasts another 55 yrs I'm likely DONE! / gone!

I also have my Camp 7 coat and White Stag from the 1960's (Both Goose Down)

I am very warm.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM

315 posts, read 145,833 times
I bought myself and my granddaughter down parkas from Eddie Bauer on sale for $99 in preparation for relocation to the Cleveland area. They are super warm and cozy! Walked out in the snow storm yesterday afternoon and didn't feel a thing! Will have to test them out when it drops down to 10 degrees tomorrow! Like others, I far prefer cold to hot weather. Hot weather makes me feel light-headed and weak and I can't imagine having to stay inside in air conditioning for a greater part of the year. Walking in snow is a great work out as well! I also wear hiking boots I got at Walmart for $20....kept my feet warm and dry walking through 6 inches of snow this morning on the walk to get coffee.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 PM

229 posts, read 43,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
If you walk around my cold weather city (an i wonder if yours is the same as well) you'll notice people's choice of winter coats seems to run the table of those who don't bother buying one, and are still wearing their light spring and fall jacket -- to people who spend 700 dollars on a logo'ed parka-type thing built to go on an antarctica ice fishing trip.
My "cold weather city" is -14 actual air temperature today. On days like today I don't care what the coat looks like as long as it's warm so today it's the heavy canvas Carhartt. It's poop brown, it's ugly and it's expensive but they keep you from literally freezing to death.

On the days it's "only" 20's or 30's I'm likely wearing my fall hooded jacket with a sweatshirt layer underneath. I just don't like to be all bulked up and constricted so unless it's REALLY cold I wear the lighter jacket. I also don't live in a very walkable city so I have warmer clothes in my car in case I break down or need them for some other reason.

Old Today, 05:46 PM

936 posts, read 275,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I still wear my Frostline kit 'Goose Down Coat'.

I made it while in 4H ~ 1960's
I found my Frostline vest (made in early 1980s) in a closet and started wearing it again. I did nice work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living