U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:28 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,231,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Qualification noted.

Is there anyone doing it now that sees the extreme multiplied savings and discounts? My sense is that most of those come-ons and loopholes have been narrowed quite a bit, if not closed.

My experience is that coupons are more and more targeted and tuned to give the least while attracting the most. Which has always been the case, but the methods were crude. I'd surmise that Sunday supplement coupons are a lot more restricted than they used to be, and that more and more coupons are those generated at checkout time and at store kiosks, for each specific shopper. The coupons look much the same from issue to issue, but narrow the savings and deal until they're rejected - at which point the system knows just how much you'll pay to get the "deal."

My recent example was 8-packs of Arrowhead, which I bought from my grocery only when they were on sale. Then they stopped being on sale except at infrequent intervals, and the discount was trivial. Then I got a couple that was basically BOGO, so I grabbed two. The next coupon was $2.00 off on two (about half the prior value). I think I used it eventually. The next coupon was $3.00 on three. I never used it.

Those 8-packs are never on sale any more, so I buy them at Sam's in triple flats (24 bottles) for about 50% of grocery price. I wonder how many people are still using trivial-value coupons and thinking they're getting a great deal?
if someone is an "extreme couponer" then they are going to get the best deal and they also wont be married to specific brands. it sounds to me like you never really were doing it seriously. you are surmising stuff based more on things you are reading than actually doing.

i wouldnt be surprised if the savings isnt as great as it once was but you are still going to do better than someone that isnt doing it. most likely a lot better.

when i was doing it, there were always a bunch of people that claimed that they werent able to make it work. you typically find it out that its because they are married to certain brands or have specialty food wants. they also typically didnt have any kind of system. so i was saving a ton on my groceries and plenty of people would claim it doesnt work. you cant just cut a few coupons and think you are going to save tons of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM

5,150 posts, read 1,700,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if someone is an "extreme couponer" then they are going to get the best deal and they also wont be married to specific brands.
Are they, now? Is there a fixed definition of "the best deal" in play here?

Quote:
...it sounds to me like you never really were doing it seriously. you are surmising stuff based more on things you are reading than actually doing.
I am not now, nor have I ever been, or had even the slightest interest in being an "extreme couponer." I never claimed anything else here.

Couponers are convinced they're beating the game, when nothing could be further from the truth. They're the same as people who go to Vegas with "a system." Yup, some come home with a bundle... about the same percentage as would without all the seekret trix.

Quote:
i wouldnt be surprised if the savings isnt as great as it once was but you are still going to do better than someone that isnt doing it. most likely a lot better.

when i was doing it...
"Used to be. That's the problem, Captain: Used to be." (Points if you get the ref, and thanks for the username that makes it work.)

Quote:
you cant just cut a few coupons and think you are going to save tons of money.
Well, it's pretty clear that no one doing anything much with coupons these days is "saving tons of money" and the argument can be made that most "extreme couponers" at the height of the game, maybe five years ago, were doing many things except "saving tons of money."

It's a dead issue as coupons and discounts and such get more and more closely tied to individuals, which was the point of my little example.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I am not now, nor have I ever been, or had even the slightest interest in being an "extreme couponer." I never claimed anything else here.

Couponers are convinced they're beating the game, when nothing could be further from the truth. They're the same as people who go to Vegas with "a system." Yup, some come home with a bundle... about the same percentage as would without all the seekret trix.

"Used to be. That's the problem, Captain: Used to be." (Points if you get the ref, and thanks for the username that makes it work.)
its pretty obvious that you havent ever done that. you simply dont know about it and yet you are making claims about it which are false.

you think "used to" is a key phrase. maybe if i was talking to someone who has actual experience i may take that response seriously. however, you dont know what it used to be like and you dont know what it is like. so you talk from a position of total ignorance and yet you make these claims of how it doesnt work as if you have any idea what you are talking about.

you clearly want to believe that extreme couponers arent saving any/much money. i am aware that when this got popular there are a bunch of people that are negative about it for some reason. it seemed to bother them that people were "extreme couponing." it sounds like you are just one of those people.

extreme couponers are playing the game and they are ahead of people not doing it. like i said before, just by going through the circular and focusing on the weekly deals they are already beating most shoppers. maybe they dont get the high value out of coupons that they used to but if they can combine some sales with some coupons; they are ahead of the game whether you want to believe it or not. if you did it, this would be obvious to you.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM

21,465 posts, read 26,837,989 times
I'll use a coupon if it is for something I normally use, but most of them aren't. It seems to me that most of the useful coupons I see are labeled "limit one" or "limit two". You can't get too extreme with that.

The times I see extreme couponers list their latest score, it is something I don't use: Funyons and other snack foods I don't use, brands of deodorant and shampoo that I don't use, household cleaners that I don't use...... Nothing in there for me. But if anyone uses a whole bunch of that stuff and they can get 6 bottles of after shave for 7 cents, more power to them.

Even the really good coupons like a dozen eggs for 49 cents, I often don't use. Its limit one and it is for a store I don't shop at because their prices are too high and it isn't worth the time and gasoline to drive there to save 61 cents. All costs and savings have to be balanced out.

But, hey, OP, it's free and if you want to attend and if you have a lot of sales resistance and can resist the sales pitch to buy the book or DVD, go ahead and go. Enjoy yourself. Come back and tell us all about it.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
extreme couponers are playing the game and they are ahead of people not doing it.
If you say so. I won't bother to put the matter in perspective as far as my understanding of it in a much larger matrix of consumer issues, but I will point out that you're being flat-out contradicted not just by poor ignorant me, but other reformed extremers here.

Even you say you haven't bothered with it for some significant while, so if you want to keep arguing about how great the old days were, be my guest.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
If you say so. I won't bother to put the matter in perspective as far as my understanding of it in a much larger matrix of consumer issues, but I will point out that you're being flat-out contradicted not just by poor ignorant me, but other reformed extremers here.

Even you say you haven't bothered with it for some significant while, so if you want to keep arguing about how great the old days were, be my guest.
oh look at you throwing in the "matrix of consumer" issues.

without going through every post, i believe others may have said that it isnt as good as it once was. i dont think anyone directly contradicted me. i acknowledge that it probably isnt as fruitful as it once was. when i first did it, there were some triple coupon days which i havent seen in quite some time.

you come back to how i havent done it in a while. im not even sure why you think that is such an amazing point considering you have never done it and clearly dont even know how it is done.

you have your comprehensive experience via your experience buying arrowhead water. you dont realize it but that story demonstrates that you know nothing about "extreme couponing." you want to give your two cents here but you really have no business giving it.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
oh look at you throwing in the "matrix of consumer" issues.
Gosh. Sorry to ring in my professional field of expertise over someone who has so many couponing webinar ribbons on their chest.

Not sure what pushed your buttons here, but if you want to believe your past experience with the topic qualifies you to roar about how fabulous it is - now - by all means, take your bows.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 AM

7,605 posts, read 2,864,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Couponing these days isn't like years ago - there aren't really many (if any) good coupons anymore. Your best bet is to watch local grocery store sales, keep track of prices, stick to stocking up on meats, veggies, etc. - if you find a coupon that might be worth it, hang onto until it becomes worth it to use it! (it's already on sale, store is doubling coupons, etc.)
Right. Couponing itself is a waste of time. After the TV show Extreme Couponing, many stores tightened up their coupon policies, for example, they no longer double coupons and reduced the number that can be used in one transaction. There are better ways to save money at the store.

Also be aware of couponing aps like Snip Snap. Many stores won't take a reproduction of a coupon that someone shows them on their phone. Snip Snap has already been sued for copyright infringement.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Gosh. Sorry to ring in my professional field of expertise over someone who has so many couponing webinar ribbons on their chest.

Not sure what pushed your buttons here, but if you want to believe your past experience with the topic qualifies you to roar about how fabulous it is - now - by all means, take your bows.
i am simply discussing this with you and we disagree on things. my buttons are pushed when you respond and then i respond back. its not a big deal.

that is some pretty professional language there. i wonder why you would bother using your arrowhead example which contradicts your position rather than enforces it considering you are clearly an expert.

i never went to any seminars. im sure plenty of people have taken it much further than myself. i had a simple system. what you dont seem to realize is that 1. you dont have the slightest idea what "extreme couponers" do, 2. all of your posts reflect that. im not sure what your professional field expertise is but it clearly hasnt helped you learn about "extreme couponing."

Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 AM

7,605 posts, read 2,864,161 times
Quote:
if someone is an "extreme couponer" then they are going to get the best deal and they also wont be married to specific brands. it sounds to me like you never really were doing it seriously. you are surmising stuff based more on things you are reading than actually doing.

when i was doing it, there were always a bunch of people that claimed that they werent able to make it work. you typically find it out that its because they are married to certain brands or have specialty food wants. they also typically didnt have any kind of system. so i was saving a ton on my groceries and plenty of people would claim it doesnt work. you cant just cut a few coupons and think you are going to save tons of money.
If people have specialty food wants then they wouldn't gain anything from couponing to get low-cost or free foods they don't want. I wouldn't use coupons to buy pop tarts because I don't eat them. They would just go to waste, and even if I could get them free, I wouldn't want them. And I don't even think local food banks take that kind of junk food so I doubt that I could donate them either. That's just one example and I use that as an example because there never seems to be any shortage of pop tart coupons.

Couponers don't necessarily "get ahead" of other people and it's not a competitive sport anyway. If someone has that kind of thinking, they may be addicted to the rush of doing this. Couponing isn't the only way to save money on food, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living