U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 AM

23,250 posts, read 29,264,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If people have specialty food wants then they wouldn't gain anything from couponing to get low-cost or free foods they don't want. I wouldn't use coupons to buy pop tarts because I don't eat them. They would just go to waste, and even if I could get them free, I wouldn't want them. And I don't even think local food banks take that kind of junk food so I doubt that I could donate them either. That's just one example and I use that as an example because there never seems to be any shortage of pop tart coupons.

Couponers don't necessarily "get ahead" of other people and it's not a competitive sport anyway. If someone has that kind of thinking, they may be addicted to the rush of doing this. Couponing isn't the only way to save money on food, anyway.
part of the problem again is that you clearly have never done it so you are using your own personal concoction of what it is to say it isnt worthwhile.

flexibility is important but it doesnt mean you have to eat pop tarts all the time. my system was simple. you go through the circulars every week and you write down the items that are on sale for a good price that you would be interested in buying. then you get the newspapers inserts/online/manufacturers coupons and you try to match them. if you have a match; you probably have found something you want to buy for a price that is good. so at no point am i buying things that i dont thing i could work into my family's needs. my wife actually liked that it forced us to try different things and we always had stuff on hand.

if you want specialty items; you are paying more anyway. but it can only reduce your expense to go through the process. at least you would have a habit of looking for sales each week even if the coupons arent there. but for most people (even ones buying specialty items), they can adjust their diet to get deals. i look at people who mock the pop tart and they are obese so there is plenty of crap that they are eating.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-25-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 PM

7,730 posts, read 2,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
. i look at people who mock the pop tart and they are obese so there is plenty of crap that they are eating.
I mock the pop tart because it's not real food. My kids won't even eat them, because they taste so bad.

No wonder there are so many deals for them.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I mock the pop tart because it's not real food. My kids won't even eat them, because they taste so bad.

its not really important what it is; its just that people get all high and mighty about certain things and in the meantime its not like they are so healthy anyway. im not saying that is your case, i dont know your case. they act like they wouldnt dare eat some item and in the meantime they are 30 pounds overweight.

in any case, you dont have to eat pop tarts if you are an extreme couponer. most of those coupons are like 1 dollar off of 3 which arent the best value anyway. my kids eat pop tarts so i keep an eye out. i believe a good sale is like 3 for 5, which would be 1.66 a piece. you take $1 off $3 and it becomes $1.33 a piece. not bad if someone in the home likes pop tarts.

but dont worry, there are plenty of deals to be had even if you dont purchase pop tarts.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 PM

23,684 posts, read 22,632,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
part of the problem again is that you clearly have never done it so you are using your own personal concoction of what it is to say it isnt worthwhile.

flexibility is important but it doesnt mean you have to eat pop tarts all the time. my system was simple. you go through the circulars every week and you write down the items that are on sale for a good price that you would be interested in buying. then you get the newspapers inserts/online/manufacturers coupons and you try to match them. if you have a match; you probably have found something you want to buy for a price that is good. so at no point am i buying things that i dont thing i could work into my family's needs. my wife actually liked that it forced us to try different things and we always had stuff on hand.

if you want specialty items; you are paying more anyway. but it can only reduce your expense to go through the process. at least you would have a habit of looking for sales each week even if the coupons arent there. but for most people (even ones buying specialty items), they can adjust their diet to get deals. i look at people who mock the pop tart and they are obese so there is plenty of crap that they are eating.
I've eaten a Pop Tart or 50 in my time, but I no longer buy things like that. I always check the weekly sales. I've probably saved more money that way than with coupons.

The coupon incentives used to be much better decades ago.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've eaten a Pop Tart or 50 in my time, but I no longer buy things like that. I always check the weekly sales. I've probably saved more money that way than with coupons.

The coupon incentives used to be much better decades ago.
if you stick to the "deals" then you are going to do well. a great coupon is a 75 cents coupon that doubles to 1.50. really, $1 and up usually isnt good because it rarely doubles. so that means if you save $1.98 on a product that is about the best you can do. sooooo the bigger price reduction does come from sales. however, if you add coupons you can knock out that last 1.50 or whatever which could get you even awesomer deals. a typical deal would be cereal on sale for $2 a box and i knock it down to 35 cents a box with an 85 cent coupon that doubles. but that first drop from the sale can be from like $5 a box to $2 a box. regular prices are crazy.

the worst thing you can do is walk into a regular grocery store and buy things that arent on sale. now that i dont really do the process; i mainly shop at aldi and costco since they have good pricing all the time.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 AM

24,687 posts, read 31,845,818 times
Quote:

I freaking love Poptarts - but just the most unhealthy flavors LOL. My son, who checks every single label of everything he eats, also loves them. I used to buy them for him, for snacks, when he was in high school. (Every single one of his childhood friends also loved them.) But neither of us has eaten them in years. Just not worth the calories and sugar to me anymore. Not to him, apparently.

But make no mistake. They are quite yummy.

As far as coupons....I'd rather spend what little free time I have doing other things. I've not cut a coupon in years. I never felt as if I was saving much money, but I was only feeding myself and son so only so much we could eat. I suppose if you have many mouths to feed it could make more sense.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:25 PM

7,730 posts, read 2,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
As far as coupons....I'd rather spend what little free time I have doing other things. I've not cut a coupon in years. I never felt as if I was saving much money, but I was only feeding myself and son so only so much we could eat. I suppose if you have many mouths to feed it could make more sense.
Couponing was probably worth the time about 20 years ago. During the recession years as more people started to rely on them, there were also more abuses; and so manufacturers and stores started tightening up their policies. (Shorter expiration dates, fewer stores that double, etc.) So it's a lot more challenging now for those who do it. Even the coupon gurus (like Crazy Coupon Lady) are shifting more to teaching people other ways to save money.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 PM

210 posts, read 101,482 times
I still coupon. I was never an extreme couponer, but I have been known to get free stuff that I use. I got Centrum vitamins for a $1 the other day.

Like others have said, it works best when you find sale prices and coupons on stuff you would use anyway.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:35 PM

7,414 posts, read 15,614,151 times
Quote:
And I don't even think local food banks take that kind of junk food so I doubt that I could donate them either. That's just one example and I use that as an example because there never seems to be any shortage of pop tart coupons.
Tangenting here- my parents do volunteer work for Feeding America and Dad says they tend to be overrun with Pop Tarts direct from the plant not too far away- lots of short term flavors that didn't sell as expected, limited time/promotional packaging or boxes with minor printing errors, and quality control issues where the scale at the end showed only, say seven pastries got loaded into the box instead of the eight like it was supposed to.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Tangenting here- my parents do volunteer work for Feeding America and Dad says they tend to be overrun with Pop Tarts direct from the plant not too far away- lots of short term flavors that didn't sell as expected, limited time/promotional packaging or boxes with minor printing errors, and quality control issues where the scale at the end showed only, say seven pastries got loaded into the box instead of the eight like it was supposed to.
thats funny. pop tarts are an important part of my daughters' diets. im not sure why someone woudnt consider them food. are waffles and pancakes food? its all just a combo of carbohydrates and fats. it can even be a super fancy waffle or whatever but food is food and food is healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living