Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats funny. pop tarts are an important part of my daughters' diets. im not sure why someone woudnt consider them food. are waffles and pancakes food? its all just a combo of carbohydrates and fats. it can even be a super fancy waffle or whatever but food is food and food is healthy.
Not all food is healthy, though. Some foods are unhealthier than others.

We do eat pancakes and waffles, but use sugar-free syrup. I also wouldn't say they're an important part of my kid's diets. I'm not anti-carb, but to me, what differentiates waffles from pop tarts is that pop tarts have a lot of high fructose corn syrup. Sure, eat them if you want. They're cheap and go on sale often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Pop-Tarts are 400 calories of ultra-processed components, without a single redeeming quality. 14-15g of fat, 35-40g of sugar, 350mg of sodium, in a more compact form than a military energy bar.

It's utterly false logic and science to compare something like that to scratch-made foods even if made from nominally similar ingredients. No, 400 calories of pancakes and syrup are no better for you, but at least the list of additives and preservatives doesn't go on for half a page.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

We do eat pancakes and waffles, but use sugar-free syrup. I also wouldn't say they're an important part of my kid's diets. I'm not anti-carb, but to me, what differentiates waffles from pop tarts is that pop tarts have a lot of high fructose corn syrup. Sure, eat them if you want. They're cheap and go on sale often.
Sugar-free syrup?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sugar-free syrup?
When I make pancakes for my granddaughters they get real maple syrup.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
When I make pancakes for my granddaughters they get real maple syrup.
They probably don't eat a stack twice a day, right?

Real foods in reasonable quantities simply do not equate to processed foods in often much greater quantities, no matter how much reductionist nutrition logic is applied. Yes, OJ and soda are both sugary drinks... but one came from a natural source and the other is usually consumed in much, much greater quantity. No equate sign there.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

so you have decided high fructose corn syrup is evil and artificial sweetener is good. thats wonderful.

there really is no difference between pop tarts and waffles.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sugar-free syrup?
i got a kick out of how she thinks high fructose corn syrup is the devil but artificial sweetener is great. its funny how people pick and choose what they consider healthy (then they have the nerve to think they have some level of knowledge about their choices).

Old 02-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Pop-Tarts are 400 calories of ultra-processed components, without a single redeeming quality. 14-15g of fat, 35-40g of sugar, 350mg of sodium, in a more compact form than a military energy bar.

It's utterly false logic and science to compare something like that to scratch-made foods even if made from nominally similar ingredients. No, 400 calories of pancakes and syrup are no better for you, but at least the list of additives and preservatives doesn't go on for half a page.
your body has no idea of the difference between scratch made foods and pre-made foods heated in a toaster. that is what science would say.

when you say "ultra processed" what specifically are you referring to? what form of processing concerns you when it comes to healthiness of food?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
when you say "ultra processed" what specifically are you referring to? what form of processing concerns you when it comes to healthiness of food?
If you have any idea what the term "food engineering" means, you wouldn't ask the question. Commercial food processors don't use giant versions of Grandma's stock pot, nor ingredients you can buy in a grocery store. Even simple ingredients used in commercial cooking and baking are processed and prepared in ways quite different from home products.

You can start with Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss for some serious eye-opening about not just ingredients, but how foods are compounded primarily to win the conglomerate wars. Food makers care about little else, in the end.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:45 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
They probably don't eat a stack [of pancakes] twice a day, right?

Real foods in reasonable quantities simply do not equate to processed foods in often much greater quantities, no matter how much reductionist nutrition logic is applied. Yes, OJ and soda are both sugary drinks... but one came from a natural source and the other is usually consumed in much, much greater quantity. No equate sign there.
No- and DS and DDIL are pretty careful about what they eat, although Grandma is allowed to feed them the occasional cake pop at Starbucks! No pop in the house and they cook a lot from scratch.

But- to get back to the OT- I used coupons back when DS was little (in the 1980s), mostly because his favorite breakfast cereals were sold at a huge markup and then deeply discounted with coupons.There were also good rebates on baby food- send in UPC codes, get a coupon for more free baby food- and the local food bank was a beneficiary of that. I've pretty much stopped now. I do a lot of shopping at Costco and they don't accept coupons, and the coupons the local grocery stores offer- paper and electronic- are typically a small % off of food I wouldn't allow in my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living