U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 PM

934 posts, read 380,900 times

Advertisements

mintmobile has $15/month unlimited talk and text. 2 gb data (they will change to be 3gb next month)

or do sprint - right now its free for 1 year. bring your own phone. after a year switch to mint mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 05:37 AM

24,728 posts, read 31,877,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Is 3G really going away at the end of the year? Boo. I think hubby and I both have 3G phones and we like them.

Yes. Time for a new phone.
https://www.droid-life.com/2018/07/1...3g-phones-rip/

Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 1,733,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If he's low income, he might qualify for a free phone. I have one here in CA through a division of Virgin Mobile, called Assurance Wireless. It's not great, but it's worth every penny :-) I get unlimited talk and text and some data included.

It's under the lifeline program, which is federal, but different states use different providers. So, just google "lifeline cell phone program" and his state, and you should see who is the provider and how to apply.
Here is my dilemma. When I lived in California I had a free phone with Assurance Wireless, When I moved to Oregon, I planned to switch it over to an Oregon Lifeline plan. But before I could do that, they shut off my phone, about a month after I moved here. Probably because they figured out I was using a California plan in Oregon, which is understandable. Anyway since I needed a phone, the quickest solution was to just go online and sign up for an Oregon Lifeline plan. The best deal I found was a free Tracfone with unlimited text and more voice minutes then I even needed. The phone was junk, but it has worked OK, except it has been getting buggy the last few years. The phone won't let me change any of my settings. Other then that it continues to work.

About a year ago, Tracfone sent me a message that they were discontinuing their free Lifeline service, but I could keep the phone. However I would have to buy prepaid minutes, to continue service. I ignored the messages, because I had more then enough minutes still on the phone. I still have almost 200 minutes left, but the phone keeps giving me the warning that I have only 10 service days left. That will be the end of this month. Until about six months ago they kept bombarding me with messages to buy pre-paid minutes, but I haven't gotten any messages recently. I suspect they have given up on me paying, and will probably discontinue my service at the end of the month. If they would send me a message now and tell me to buy minutes to avoid discontinuation of service, I might be inclined to do that, but I'm getting nothing from them.

Anyway I have been looking at getting another free Lifeline phone. The best deal I have found is Assurance Wireless. They offer free 2GB of data, free unlimited texts, free 750 voice minutes, and a free Android smartphone. All of which would be more then adequate for what I need. I really need that smart phone. Now the problem. I have been trying to sign up with them for several weeks, but their signup page is completely dysfunctional. It will not let me fill out the forum in any browser. Their FAQ just says if you have a problem to upgrade your software. Which I find it a little bizarre to tell someone that is trying to sign up for a free Lifeline phone that they should buy a better computer to sign up with.

I have been thinking about my options. 1. I could buy some prepaid minutes with Tracfone, and see if they will extend my service. It probably wouldn't cost me too much. But since they are not even communicating with me, I'm not optimistic they would extend my service. 2. I can call Assurance Wireless and ask them to sign me up for a free phone. However I have a really bad feeling about a company that can't even put a working signup page on their website. 3. I haven't had a land line in forever, but I have started to think that maybe I should get that for Lifeline service, instead of a cell phone. Honestly I can't even remember the last time I used my cell phone outside of my house. I do always carry it with me, incase my car breaks down or something, but I always keep it turned off when driving. A land line might work better for emergency calls, if I ever have to make one. But then I wouldn't have any way of making a call when I'm away from home.

I'm leaning towards #2. But I'm still considering #1 and #3 as well. If anybody has thoughts about it, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 PM

4,539 posts, read 2,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm not saying it's not going to happen at the end of 2019, but I thought Verizon has already pushed back the death of the CDMA network numerous times. I can totally see it really happening this time, but who knows if they don't extend it yet again! I do wonder, what does it cost Verizon to keep that network up and running each year?

Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM

24,728 posts, read 31,877,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm not saying it's not going to happen at the end of 2019, but I thought Verizon has already pushed back the death of the CDMA network numerous times. I can totally see it really happening this time, but who knows if they don't extend it yet again! I do wonder, what does it cost Verizon to keep that network up and running each year?
It's probably going to cost them even more for the new network. Those 5G towers will have to be closer together than the old 4g network. But they have to get busy - LOT of work to do. So don't hold your breath on the 5g. It's coming, but it will be awhile.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20170220...and-cdma-tag10

Old Today, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
Just for an example:
https://www.hsn.com/products/samsung...estext/8930671
I've been getting these from QVC or HSN for years. They include a new phone, lots of minutes, and a year of service. If you don't like this one, there are others to choose from.

Yep....wife and I both have these. She got hers on sale for 60-70 bucks, mine later at 90. Come with 1500min talk, 1500 texts, and some data (we never use), good for a year. We use maybe 100-200min/mo and maybe 25 text....so what comes with the phone will do us just fine.

The replacement Tracphone card is $125 for another year, so it's cheaper to simply toss the phone, get another with same plan (how stupid is this) and move your number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living