U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 PM
 
3,417 posts, read 2,121,588 times
Reputation: 6868

Advertisements

What have you found to be the least expensive prepaid cellphones? A family member needs one. He probably won't be talking a lot on it and won't be surfing the web on it. It's mainly for him to carry in case of an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM
 
Location: North West Arkansas (zone 6b)
2,589 posts, read 1,840,697 times
Reputation: 3484
I currently use red pocket mobile. it's been a big savings for me and my kids @ $10 per month for each phone.

This includes a little bit of data which I find just enough to get me through the month even when traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 PM
 
3,417 posts, read 2,121,588 times
Reputation: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I currently use red pocket mobile. it's been a big savings for me and my kids @ $10 per month for each phone.

This includes a little bit of data which I find just enough to get me through the month even when traveling.

Thank you for that. I will look that one up on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:13 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 1,706,063 times
Reputation: 2218
You want to look into plan call Pay As You Go. This is the plan that allow you to put let's say $100, and is good for 1 year. If you don't use all $100 by the end of the year, you might be able to roll over the balance to next year simply by adding another $100.

The phone you have to buy on your own, so you are left with checking out with which carrier that you want to use the prepaid plan on. In general, you want to get a prepaid with AT&T or T-Mobile because they provide you with a sim card, and you can use whatever phone you want. With Verizon and Sprint, you have to use device that works with their network, which in general has to be their company cell phone, so that wouldn't really work if you have a cellphone of your own.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
17,583 posts, read 21,628,945 times
Reputation: 33208
If he's low income, he might qualify for a free phone. I have one here in CA through a division of Virgin Mobile, called Assurance Wireless. It's not great, but it's worth every penny :-) I get unlimited talk and text and some data included.

It's under the lifeline program, which is federal, but different states use different providers. So, just google "lifeline cell phone program" and his state, and you should see who is the provider and how to apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 PM
 
3,417 posts, read 2,121,588 times
Reputation: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If he's low income, he might qualify for a free phone. I have one here in CA through a division of Virgin Mobile, called Assurance Wireless. It's not great, but it's worth every penny :-) I get unlimited talk and text and some data included.

It's under the lifeline program, which is federal, but different states use different providers. So, just google "lifeline cell phone program" and his state, and you should see who is the provider and how to apply.

Great idea! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 12:11 PM
 
3,417 posts, read 2,121,588 times
Reputation: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You want to look into plan call Pay As You Go. This is the plan that allow you to put let's say $100, and is good for 1 year. If you don't use all $100 by the end of the year, you might be able to roll over the balance to next year simply by adding another $100.

The phone you have to buy on your own, so you are left with checking out with which carrier that you want to use the prepaid plan on. In general, you want to get a prepaid with AT&T or T-Mobile because they provide you with a sim card, and you can use whatever phone you want. With Verizon and Sprint, you have to use device that works with their network, which in general has to be their company cell phone, so that wouldn't really work if you have a cellphone of your own.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I was confused about the whole sim card thing, because I have Verizon on our phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
31,422 posts, read 2,467,682 times
Reputation: 10682
Ting is a low cost option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM
 
24,728 posts, read 31,877,246 times
Reputation: 30031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
With Verizon and Sprint, you have to use device that works with their network, which in general has to be their company cell phone, so that wouldn't really work if you have a cellphone of your own.

Hope this helps.
Not true. Verizon has already stopped allowing activation of CDMA-only phones. The 3-G network is being retired at the end of 2019. You can absolutely “ bring your own phone” to Verizon. All newer phones use SIM cards now.

Decide what network you want to use. Pick an mvno for the cheapest plan. Then pick s phone that has the features you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM
 
9,711 posts, read 4,174,291 times
Reputation: 14519
FreedomPop is free...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top