U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 AM

7,865 posts, read 2,942,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There is always something decent on sale. I experiment and try different things. The latest one I like is Cafe Caribe sold in a big yellow brick for under $2 locally. I agree that french press is more economical but the coffee is cold by the time it's in my cup ready to drink. So I use a drip coffee maker that keeps it warm.
Where do you buy Cafe Caribe? I'd like to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM

5,252 posts, read 9,611,653 times
Yes, I cherish my one morning cup of coffee in the morning. And I buy a delicious brand of Italian coffee as I want my one cup to be really good. And I figure that daily cup divided by the price of a pound of coffee (more like 12 oz these days!) comes out to be much, much less than purchasing a cup at retail prices...so it's frugal.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM

104 posts, read 27,780 times
We didn't drink for 20 years, as long as we knew each other until a few yrs ago due to trauma. Now we are back on coffee. Yep, 2 yrs isn't enough to cause permanent problems BUT it sure makes drinking coffee look better!!

I recall when I was concerned about drinking too much coffee. 5 cups a week. boy was I in for a surprise! If enough traumatic events occur, I'd run to the alcohol for fear of loosing my mind. It did the trick but sure left me with a good impression of my 3-4 cups of coffee each week. So glad that part of my life is done.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 7,637 times
I absolutely drink coffee every day -- I buy the good stuff and lately there have been some great sales so I've stocked up! I do not have to have the same brand every time just a good quality dark roast. I also enjoy tea and buy that in bulk.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 1,627,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I would rather drink water then old coffee reheated ...yech
Reheating old coffee later the same morning? Sure - it's just a caffeine delivery system for me. Which is why the disparaged "red and blue" plastic cans of pre-ground coffee are perfectly fine for me.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM

23,287 posts, read 29,301,869 times
one of the vacations we go on is a timeshare so we have a kitchen and always have breakfast in the room. i make a pot of coffee and will reheat it the next day. i cant say that i have noticed a substantial degradation of the quality of the coffee.

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

7,602 posts, read 5,609,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I would rather drink water then old coffee reheated ...yech
I think I'd live in a Travel Trailer before I sank to such depths of reheating coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Reheating old coffee later the same morning? Sure - it's just a caffeine delivery system for me. Which is why the disparaged "red and blue" plastic cans of pre-ground coffee are perfectly fine for me.
I'll drink about any kind of coffee, while I like the fancy stuff I'll not turn my nose up at Folgers, and I think that once you reheat it its gag inducing.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

7,865 posts, read 2,942,081 times
Although I love Starbuck's, I won't buy their cold drinks. They're packed with ice even if you ask for "light" ice. And frappuccinos are mostly made of crushed ice.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM

13,908 posts, read 23,352,759 times
My major reason for stopping at Starbucks is a place to kill time before meeting with friends or waiting for a ride. The coffee or tea I drink is generally free as I get a $50 gift certificate each quarter for a friend in appreciation of some of the favors I do for him.

Personally, I am tired of Starbucks as I cannot get a cup of dark roast coffee after about 10 AM locally without getting a "pour over" which is a clearly inferior product.

It is not a stop that I would make if I had to pay cash.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

23,287 posts, read 29,301,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My major reason for stopping at Starbucks is a place to kill time before meeting with friends or waiting for a ride. The coffee or tea I drink is generally free as I get a $50 gift certificate each quarter for a friend in appreciation of some of the favors I do for him.

Personally, I am tired of Starbucks as I cannot get a cup of dark roast coffee after about 10 AM locally without getting a "pour over" which is a clearly inferior product.

It is not a stop that I would make if I had to pay cash.
pour over is inferior? some place i go to that has a play area for kids and coffee does that and i thought the idea was that its better. i dont know or care how they make my coffee, im not a coffee connoisseur. its just the impression that i got.

like you, the primary situation where it comes up for coffee is to kill time. i pick up my daughter from dance or sewing class and i need to kill some time before its over. i try to refrain though because its wasted money and calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or