U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 PM

15,783 posts, read 15,757,878 times

Advertisements

Great Value instant coffee, just as good as Folgers and probably made in the same plant.

Tasty, cheap and loaded with caffeiney goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 PM

900 posts, read 361,354 times
only office coffee which is free. no starbucks no dunkin donuts thats like 2-3 dollars. not even my company cafeteria which is like 1.20.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 PM

186 posts, read 57,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Consider home roasting. In the US (where you are not), I buy microlots of unroasted coffee beans originating in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Yemen, and the like. I'll buy perhaps 30 pounds at a time, which lasts me about 6 months. Price per pound will be roughly $6.50 or so. One pound of unroasted "greens" yields about 12-13 oz. of roasted coffee beans (moisture is driven out during the roasting process). And "coffee bean" is a misnomer; it is technically a seed.

To get started, pretty much all you need is a thrift-store quality hot air popcorn popper. Go on YouTube and search for roasting coffee, and you'll find lots of demonstrations. It is quite simple, and the end result is very good quality roasted coffee. Then, all you need is a coffee grinder and your favorite preparation method.

For example,

https://youtu.be/OTsC6JWM0qU
https://youtu.be/d3ZA5Eg9wfg
https://youtu.be/O-iw4Dy9-s8

And finally for background info on quality of coffee beans

https://youtu.be/CoCmAtk4lCI

I prefer the "Clever Coffee Dripper," which is sort of a cross between a French Press (where you "steep" the coffee for several minutes) and a Melita (where you use a paper filter). See:
https://youtu.be/m_-wyjaCPj8
Very good advice RE. I have been roasting at home for about 10 years and if you love coffee there is no other way to do it. Some bean sellers offer 25 or more varieties, I keep 5 or 6 different types around at all times. Coffee is at its peak for a very short time, about 24 to 48 hours after roasting it peaks and around the 2 week mark I notice a change in the taste. Now I use it up before 2 weeks.

I always give freshly roasted coffee at all the Christmas Party gift exchanges and it gets swiped as many times as the rules allow. I bring some to drink at the party too.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 PM

18,649 posts, read 17,803,873 times
I have a wonderful little store nearby that specializes in gourmet overstocks. I don't know how they do it but I can get nice quality coffee brands there dirt cheap. I get New England coffee, which is my favorite, but they don't always have that brand. You get what they have in stock when you go.

And I make coffee in a one cup Melitta. (if anyone doesn't know, it's a cone shaped thing that holds a coffee filter and you place it over your mug, add coffee, and pour the water over it.)

Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 PM

900 posts, read 361,354 times
Many hotels have free coffee in their lobbies. You can just walk in and get a cup

Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,207,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Buying a $100+ machine to make a less-efficient production of coffee (10 single shots == 15 brewed cups) that is kind of second rate to boot isn't really what I'd call frugal.
a quick search found a $40 machine on amazon that has good reviews. also, if you brew a whole pot but throw out half of it, that isnt frugal.

it depends on the person's individual usage. i would assume you are doing better per cup if you brew a pot, i mentioned the single serve for people who only need a cup in the morning (like someone who buys a cup from DD or starbucks).

Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM

5,061 posts, read 1,664,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Many hotels have free coffee in their lobbies. You can just walk in and get a cup
I won't point out the irony of someone with a username like that advocating theft as a clever economic move.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

20,038 posts, read 13,172,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I had to give it up for a couple of years because of gastrointestinal problems. Oh, that was sad. I've never been a morning person, have always been a slow starter, but that was miserable. I not only missed drinking coffee, but dozed off at the table in the morning.

I'll always be able to afford coffee because I like it.
Me too, Iíll always be able to afford coffee because I NEED it!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 AM

5,061 posts, read 1,664,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
a quick search found a $40 machine on amazon that has good reviews. also, if you brew a whole pot but throw out half of it, that isnt frugal.
The whole pod waste thing has been hashed out on too many threads to chew over the cud here again. There are better, cheaper, and more economical in the long run options to any pod-based maker, even if refillable pods are used. To start with, I'd question the lifespan and thus amortized cost of that $40 machine.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:30 PM

21,436 posts, read 26,792,302 times
The coffee bill can get pretty expensive if you buy your coffee by the cup from the specialty coffee shop or kiosk.

If you make the coffee at home, if you work out the price per cup, it's cheap.

I don't drink coffee, but my son does. He bought a pricey coffee maker, but even at that, it pays for itself quickly if you are using that instead of paying $4 a cup at the coffee bar.

For those who buy those "adult candy bars", coffee loaded with cream, sugar, chocolate, caramel, and other flavorings, you can make those at home, too, for a substantial savings.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-18-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or