U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:37 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,207,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The whole pod waste thing has been hashed out on too many threads to chew over the cud here again. There are better, cheaper, and more economical in the long run options to any pod-based maker, even if refillable pods are used. To start with, I'd question the lifespan and thus amortized cost of that $40 machine.
i was referring to a single use maker without pods. i dont know the exact economics of it or the lifespan of any coffee maker. i doubt we are talking about big numbers. single serving anything isnt going to be as inexpensive as a pot but not everyone needs a pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM

30,116 posts, read 48,240,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Does your frugal diet include coffee?
I drink coffee when it is offered to me.

Otherwise I shifted to drinking green tea with mint and stevia.

I grow green tea [Camellia sinensis], spearmint and stevia.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM

5,061 posts, read 1,664,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was referring to a single use maker without pods. i dont know the exact economics of it or the lifespan of any coffee maker. i doubt we are talking about big numbers. single serving anything isnt going to be as inexpensive as a pot but not everyone needs a pot.
Okay, your response was ambiguous. No cheap maker is going to have a good ROI; folks who drink a small amount of coffee are better off with a variant of a Chemex, the single-cup or small-pot variety. With care, it will last forever and brew just as well after ten years as it did the day it was new.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:45 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,207,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Okay, your response was ambiguous. No cheap maker is going to have a good ROI; folks who drink a small amount of coffee are better off with a variant of a Chemex, the single-cup or small-pot variety. With care, it will last forever and brew just as well after ten years as it did the day it was new.
it wasnt really ambiguous but i get your point. there are still lower total cost per cup options than the $40 single serve with grounds maker.

Quote:
you can even get a single serve brewer with coffee grounds instead of pods. cant add up to much per cup.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 PM

2,235 posts, read 7,586,690 times
If I am out and about, and want to buy a cup of coffee, some convenience stores or truck stops have a decent brew for a reasonable price. McDonalds has any size plain coffee for $1, and it is pretty good. Pilot truck stops have excellent Colombian coffee. All of these are better options than Sbucks for much less cost.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
it wasnt really ambiguous..."
I misread "with grounds" as being "using a refillable pod." I see your meaning now.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:25 PM

27,475 posts, read 59,447,551 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFN_Iu_PD-g

Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifUBDgPhl4

Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 PM

326 posts, read 56,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
And I make coffee in a one cup Melitta. (if anyone doesn't know, it's a cone shaped thing that holds a coffee filter and you place it over your mug, add coffee, and pour the water over it.)

Definitely try one of these - it uses the same paper coffee filter for a Melitta.

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee...RN0/ref=sr_1_4

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee...RN0/ref=sr_1_4

Old 01-19-2019, 11:13 PM

17,432 posts, read 21,477,073 times
I grind dark roast whole coffee beans. I look for them on sale. And, then I boil water and pour it through a paper filter into a Melita plastic filter. I make enough for 2 days, and refrigerate the next day's coffee, and just microwave it the next day.

I add almond milk and sucralose to mine.

So, I grind up 4 heaping large soup spoons worth of whole beans, and that is enough coffee for me for at least 2 days.

I do also like tea, so if I didn't have the option for coffee, I'd survive. But, certain mornings just call out for good, rich coffee - especially rainy, cloudy, or cold days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or