U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 AM

3,888 posts, read 2,214,665 times

Advertisements

I only drink coffee to wake me up so to speak. Or to refresh me.

My OH, who spent every other summer in Europe, is the "coffee connoisseur " in our family.

With that said, My OH is fine with an $8.48 3pound can of Wally world's "Classic roast" "medium rich and smooth" coffee.

In a cone shaped drip coffee maker, my OH finds it great and its palatable to me too.

It doesn't have the burnt taste like some coffee grounds in "popular " coffees.

To me thats frugal and coffeelicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 910 times
I cannot without coffee! Every morning I drink coffee and I don't care about the diet !!! I plan to buy a frother for milk (read reviews https://milkfrothertop.com/), so that the coffee was even more delicious!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 AM

67,544 posts, read 68,351,515 times
when our kurig dies we will get the ninja with the frother

Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,207,884 times
i have a keurig. i think it has lasted a pretty good amount of time but im not sure how long. i buy pods from costco. get my milk and splenda from costco.

i know i am not getting the cheapest possible cup but i feel i am paying a small enough price per cup to feel relatively frugal about it. this is a decision that is out of my hands anyway. my wife insists on keurig. i dont think that we have used a regular coffee maker at home since we got out of school about 15 years ago.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 AM

7,510 posts, read 5,546,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when our kurig dies we will get the ninja with the frother

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have a keurig. i think it has lasted a pretty good amount of time but im not sure how long. i buy pods from costco. get my milk and splenda from costco.

i know i am not getting the cheapest possible cup but i feel i am paying a small enough price per cup to feel relatively frugal about it. this is a decision that is out of my hands anyway. my wife insists on keurig. i dont think that we have used a regular coffee maker at home since we got out of school about 15 years ago.
My objection to the Keurig is that the water doesn't get hot enough to make the coffee taste "good" to me. Just my opinion. My Barista brother has turned me into something of a snob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which is why Starbucks coffee is undrinkable unless you add ice cream.

For a real treat, buy green beans (no, not "green beans") and roast them yourself. A hot-air popcorn popper does a great job. It will spoil the bejeezus out of you, though; even "freshly roasted" coffee that is a few days old doesn't come close.
SBUX Blonde Roast isn't bad. But the "normal" stuff smells like a sock to me. If you want a Grown-Up Milkshake though they're ok.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,207,884 times
im definitely not a coffee snob. when i am at the office, i take whatever they make there which i think is folgers. if there is no pot available, i have some nescafe instant that i make with some splenda and nido.

i forgot that we also have a nespresso machine that my mom got us as a gift (so zero machine expense). i barely use it though. i think ill make a nespresso now.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:07 AM

188 posts, read 68,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Another important factor is how you brew it, so as to get the most out of it. Our automatic coffee maker seems to take a lot, compared to say, a French press. What do you use to have the least waste? We like it strong too, and with cream/milk or a Bailey's knock-off ($6 here).

But we only have one (large) cup, then during the day I drink cold tea with ginger....
This is what I wonder too. I also like my coffee strong, so I feel like I go through a bag like that because I use a lot. I'm still trying to find that correct amount to use in the French press so it isn't weak but I also am not wasting more than I need to use. (Forget pourover-- I can't get that to not be weak no matter what I do, unless I pour it over twice. I don't know any fancy techniques-- even once asked at the coffee shop that specialized in pourover and still can't figure it out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I prefer the "Clever Coffee Dripper," which is sort of a cross between a French Press (where you "steep" the coffee for several minutes) and a Melita (where you use a paper filter).
It sounds like that's what I should've gotten instead of the pourover... oh well.

Quote:
Buying a $100+ machine to make a less-efficient production of coffee (10 single shots == 15 brewed cups) that is kind of second rate to boot isn't really what I'd call frugal.
That was my thinking, too. Plus, the thing about a Keurig-- maybe the newer machines are different-- is that everything seems to say you should make smaller cups of coffee from it (because the pods aren't very big), unless you don't mind weak coffee (and I do). Well, I don't want an 8 oz. cup of coffee... that's not much. So then you have to make a second cup, and use MORE coffee (because you can't really reuse pods/grounds in a reusable filter, unless you like weak coffee), and at that point I might as just well take that double amount of coffee and put it in a $20-30 french press... or put the same amount as the Keurig pod in a small moka/stovetop espresso pot (though that doesn't make much either-- I made the mistake of getting a small one and 3 cups... isn't. Not even demitasse cups; I'm not sure it would even fill two of those).

Quote:
I won't point out the irony of someone with a username like that advocating theft as a clever economic move.
I... actually kind of assumed that was the point, lol.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:21 AM

67,544 posts, read 68,351,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
SBUX Blonde Roast isn't bad. But the "normal" stuff smells like a sock to me. If you want a Grown-Up Milkshake though they're ok.
I use bustello pods They are very good. mornings we use a regular coffee maker but during the day i will use the cafe bustello pods . i like them ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-21-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM

395 posts, read 225,612 times
I prefer something on the light side and not bitter because I drink my coffee black. Publix Greenwise Organic Breakfast Blend is what I'm drinking, and I buy it when on sale -- $6.49 for a bag that lasts a month, 3 cups a day. It's one of my indulgences. If I had to go with something cheaper, I would be happy enough with Chock Full O'Nuts Original or Chase & Sanborn, both of which are always on sale somewhere.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,274,633 times
Quote:
Most people who try the African varieties never think much of South American beans again. Despite all the hype from Folgers et al., an awful lot of low-grade coffee is grown in SA and even supposedly superior stuff is cut and blended a bit. (Something like the tankers of cheap wine that disappear into the named regions of France and are supposed to go unnoticed...)

Tanzanian Peaberry, Kenya AA... now those are coffee.
I have to compromise in my house. I like a yirga or a kenyan too but my wife says they taste of cat urine to her. I buy the odd pound of green africans and slip them into the mix to see if she catches them. I usually buy Guats and Columbians 20lbs at a time and do 12oz roasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or