Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,576,190 times

Advertisements

Which can be quite expensive, unless you are buying the dirt-cheap stuff. If you drink coffee, how do you balance quality against cost?

Here in the land of very low COL, ironically coffee, which is grown here, is quite expensive. As is chocolate, also grown here! SIGH.

But we love our coffee even if it's a major line item (right after wine) in our food budget.

Another important factor is how you brew it, so as to get the most out of it. Our automatic coffee maker seems to take a lot, compared to say, a French press. What do you use to have the least waste? We like it strong too, and with cream/milk or a Bailey's knock-off ($6 here).

But we only have one (large) cup, then during the day I drink cold tea with ginger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Good coffee is not that expensive unless you're on a really nickel-and-dime budget. I buy 1 kilo bag each of caffeinated and decaffeinated beans, from a good local roaster, and for that $32 I get at least 30 10-cup pots.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,561,987 times
its not in a frugal budget if that means going to starbucks but if you are brewing at home, not that expensive. you can even get a single serve brewer with coffee grounds instead of pods. cant add up to much per cup.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you can even get a single serve brewer with coffee grounds instead of pods. cant add up to much per cup.
Buying a $100+ machine to make a less-efficient production of coffee (10 single shots == 15 brewed cups) that is kind of second rate to boot isn't really what I'd call frugal.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:15 AM

5,430 posts, read 4,000,284 times
I can get New England coffee, which is a pretty good brand, on sale for 3 bags for $10. I won't skimp on coffee, gotta have the good stuff, not the big blue/red plastic canister. I only drink 1-2 cups a day.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I buy 1 kilo bag each of caffeinated and decaffeinated beans, from a good local roaster,
and for that $32 I get at least 30 10-cup pots.
$32 ÷ 4.4lbs =~$7/lb? That's very reasonable for quality.
That quantity is the problem for me ... most of 6 weeks use here.
I don't like to take up freezer space that long.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
$32 ÷ 4.4lbs =~$7/lb? That's very reasonable for quality.
It's a local company. Since the decaf only comes in dark roast, I alternate light and medium caffeinated to get a milder flavor.

Quote:
That quantity is the problem for me ... most of 6 weeks use here.
It's about that for me; I know that even on a frugal kitchen budget, the daily cost isn't enough for me to even think about. I won't give up a daily pot nor go down to crappy beans, so.

Quote:
I don't like to take up freezer space that long.
Never freeze coffee. Ever.

Given the timeline between green pick/ship/storage, roasting and your cart, another six weeks in a sealed container at room temp won't degrade it in the slightest. Freezing does.

(If you can't grind coffee within a few hours of roasting, there's very little difference between one day and several weeks. Maybe longer, assuming optimal storage conditions.)

Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM

13,660 posts, read 12,326,875 times
I either buy it from a good roaster if I'm in his area, or the Dunkin Donuts Costco package. The local decent coffee shops, I'm not a fan of, everything's roasted too dark, or roasted in the same roaster they use for French Roast, which is burnt tasting to me.

There is a good local roaster that sometimes goes on sale at the Grocery Store. I'll stock up if they have that.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I either buy it from a good roaster if I'm in his area, or the Dunkin Donuts Costco package. The local decent coffee shops, I'm not a fan of, everything's roasted too dark, or roasted in the same roaster they use for French Roast, which is burnt tasting to me.
Which is why Starbucks coffee is undrinkable unless you add ice cream.

For a real treat, buy green beans (no, not "green beans") and roast them yourself. A hot-air popcorn popper does a great job. It will spoil the bejeezus out of you, though; even "freshly roasted" coffee that is a few days old doesn't come close.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
(If you can't grind coffee within a few hours of roasting...
I know the story (wine too) but I have gotten lazy on it all. Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away...
I worked for two different specialty food shops that the owners liked to hear called the Zabars of _____."
They were mostly focused on repeat business for the 5000 other items on the shelves and in the deli cases
which made selling coffee by the 1lb bag a strategy.

Twenty open burlap sacks with 30lbs or more of recently roasted beans in each
along with a paper sign, the scale, some plain paper bags and a big shiny grinder.

Quote:
...six weeks in a sealed container at room temp ...
What do you use?

Quote:
...and roast them yourself. A hot-air popcorn popper does a great job.
After a nice dinner with friends? Yeah I can see that. 5:30am? Not so much

Last edited by MrRational; 01-17-2019 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living