U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM

304 posts, read 52,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Haha, I thought I was the only one! We bought an electric alarm clock when we got married. Nearly 40 years later, it still faithfully wakes me up.

I have an alarm clock radio I purchased in 1979... it still works fine. It's in a guest bedroom now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 AM

304 posts, read 52,338 times
I'm so frugal I still have & wear free logo T-Shirts from the 1970s and 1980s that were promotional give-aways at trade shows.

I still have & wear Levis from 1978.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM

6,264 posts, read 10,335,544 times
Surprised no one mentioned recycling paper towels, wet with just water of course.

Clean and recycle aluminum foil used for baking.

I even recycle parchment paper for baking until it rips or crumbles.

Cut four-fold napkins in half.

I do some of the other things already listed in this delightful thread.

Yes, my grandparents grew up during depression and called me cheap, I call it prudent resource management.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,095,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, it depends. For groceries - yes, they're cheap and break easily. When you get something delivered and twist ties are involved, they're usually nice and sturdy and long. I cut them into shorter sections, if I need to. For instance, I just bought a rolling cart on Amazon and they attached the wheels to the frame with twist ties. Nice sturdy ones. I can probably get 4 good ones that will last years out of them :-)

Speaking of Amazon and other internet stores, my husband has 1,001 uses for cardboard. He cuts up boxes that Amazon ships stuff in, and uses the cardboard for everything from his art projects to making custom-sized small boxes for various supplies. Not every box gets cut up, but big ones with large swaths of cardboard make him happy. I try not to ask too many questions.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:47 PM

23,564 posts, read 22,538,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Surprised no one mentioned recycling paper towels, wet with just water of course.

I even recycle parchment paper for baking until it rips or crumbles.

Cut four-fold napkins in half.

I do some of the other things already listed in this delightful thread.

Yes, my grandparents grew up during depression and called me cheap, I call it prudent resource management.
I see that I could be doing more.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,331,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

That's because that's not frugal.

Buddy of mine commented that paper towels cost more per sqft than his farm! I

I use cloth for things I'd be able to reuse paper towels for.
Mostly cloth napkins too. (I use both paper products, but only for certain things)

I use Al foil, but again, not for things th a it could be reused for.

Always hang my clothes to dry, have a laundry rack near the wood stove right now, outside line in summer.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM

395 posts, read 224,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I have the same electric alarm clock for the past 37 years. Still buzzes, still tells time.
I have one about the same age. It's a small cube that keeps time perfectly and is always on time with the alarm. I see no need to change it for something else.

A little younger is a 30-year-old boom box I still have. It still works perfectly and we load the batteries whenever we're facing a hurricane. I can't tell you how many times we've heard "Rock You Like a Hurricane" out of the local radio stations when we've been in the middle of one.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM

3,754 posts, read 3,993,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
...I live on less than half my income.
^THIS. I live on about 60% of my net income (40% of gross) because I like to "splurge" sometimes. But yeah, I'm aggressively saving for retirement.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:56 PM

3,754 posts, read 3,993,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have a great cell phone plan (Ting) that charges for what you use. (Average monthly bill runs under $20 for me.) I get annoyed when I get the first text during a new billing period because that adds $3 to the bill (1-100 messages are $3). I don't like to use it much for voice calls, either- over 100 minutes adds another $6 to the bill. I ask people to call me on my land line for extended conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
you should switch from Ting. they are not the cheapest. there is Mint mobile...for $15 /month its unlimited talk and text and 2gb data.
This is the kind of info I need for when my Verizon contract ends in December! Thank you for the info!

Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 PM

931 posts, read 825,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
the knob of my crock pot snapped off. This thing has been in my family for at least 30 years. But instead of buying a new one, im using pliers to turn the knob. 😄

What are your one liners?
OMG, I'm not alone. I'm using pliers for my shower knob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or