U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,280,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What is Gee fir?
Southern drawl for "gee, FOR...."

I COULD have said "gee whiz...." maybe you'd understand that better.

MY FAT fingers sometimes get in the way on this tiny keyboard and I don't always catch the mistakes.

But you knew that already, didn't you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:22 AM

7,964 posts, read 2,984,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
T
By the way, I do NOT agree that you cannot eat a healthy diet. Nearly all of the dishes these brothers prepare are healthy and easily prepared at home. My wife and I have an average grocery food bill of $200 per month and we feed the two of us and at least 50 meals a month to some of our elderly neighbors who can no longer cook. However, it required a lot of planning and preparations.
I agree. People can eat very healthy on a low budget. I honestly wonder about people who say it costs more money to eat healthy. Scratch the surface and usually you find out they shop at places like Whole Foods Market and/or don't know how to create a food budget. They're buying expensive things that aren't necessary like pricey bottled water and not looking for deals in the store ads and creating weekly meals around those. They also hate eating any meal that's meatless. The people I know who complain they can't afford food, would never sit down and eat a bowl of rice and beans.

After reading this I never went back to Whole Foods again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH0QpaDNwS8

Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 PM

1,131 posts, read 890,071 times
I did good for another few days, but I just did my first slip up tonight: there was an ad for a seasonal crawfish pizza and I bought one—but I made myself get a personal pizza instead of a large pizza like I’d normally do. I found speghetti in my cupboard a couple of days ago and have been eating on that. For me, its seeing ads for food and wanting that thing after I see it. Its gotten so bad I try not to even look or listen to ads anymore because if I see it, I’m going to crave it.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 PM

5,797 posts, read 1,881,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I did good for another few days, but I just did my first slip up tonight: there was an ad for a seasonal crawfish pizza and I bought oneóbut I made myself get a personal pizza instead of a large pizza like Iíd normally do. I found speghetti in my cupboard a couple of days ago and have been eating on that. For me, its seeing ads for food and wanting that thing after I see it. Its gotten so bad I try not to even look or listen to ads anymore because if I see it, Iím going to crave it.
That does sound good. Being from MN I didn't know that existed. I looked up a recipe and the ingredients didn't sound all that expensive. Maybe compromise and make yourself one.

https://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/...fish_pizza.htm

Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 PM

5,797 posts, read 1,881,892 times
https://www.facebook.com/TheIDEAlist...0379754921428/

Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 PM

952 posts, read 838,105 times
Quote:
After seeing Iíve been spending $200 a week on food just to feed myself, and since this is rediculous for a single man and means I have no extra money to save by the time I pay my bills, Iíve decided to eat on no more than $4 a day (including tax), for 2 meals a day (brunch and late dinner). Iíve been eating ramen and hot dogs the past 3 days and am already really bored and craving the more expensive food. Iíve stooped to trying to bum food off of coworkers and family to still meet my budget while eating something interesting.

Are there any interesting $1-$3 recipes out there? Iím trying to do good with this since food is the one thing Iíve always struggled to be frugal with.

Iíd like to pay off my house early so I can save even more money, or possibly use this house as a rental property if I decide to go to law school (I live in northwest louisiana, but want to practice as a law professor in southeast texas so Iím nearer the beach and can enjoy more big city stuff and lower taxes).

Sticking to this food budget is key, though, and Iím already struggling just because of the blandness.
$200 is our grocery budget for 2 weeks, there are 6 of us in a our household (couple and 4 kids).

Cook 4-5 meals during the weekend that's good for the week's meal. Put them in a Tupperware, keep in the fridge and microwave it. That should not be more than $50.

There are many Pages in facebook you may want to follow.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,280,477 times
Quote:
I did good for another few days, but I just did my first slip up tonight: there was an ad for a seasonal crawfish pizza and I bought oneóbut I made myself get a personal pizza instead of a large pizza like Iíd normally do. I found speghetti in my cupboard a couple of days ago and have been eating on that. For me, its seeing ads for food and wanting that thing after I see it. Its gotten so bad I try not to even look or listen to ads anymore because if I see it, Iím going to crave it.
Well don't punish yourself for the slip up.

It's like a diet, theres bound to be slip ups, but you just rise up get back on the horse and ride it again!

And yeah, if you ate weak, don't look at food ads!

Instead watch cooking shows on tv, and figure out how to make the meal cheaply to get those results.

Pay attention, they give you the whole recipe, albeit time lapsed.

Best of luck to you...

Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM

15,876 posts, read 15,872,089 times
Everyone gonna toss around the junkiest garbage to save money with, SMH.

Eggs, eat lots of eggs...........cheap and very healthy.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 336,301 times
Another thought on this: check the "bulk sale" section of your grocery store or even Whole Foods. Various beans and lentils, barley, quinoa, bulghur, etc. are frequently cheaper if you buy them by the pound rather than in boxes or cans. Beans may have to be soaked overnight so they cook faster, but there's less waste because you're not throwing out a can, and I'm suspicious of the health effects of the plastic linings anyway.

I cook a batch of barley, wheatberries, beans, etc. and then use it with different veggies over the next week.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:30 PM

18 posts, read 7,793 times
I feed 3-4 adults on $100 week easily. (3-4 because my 15 year old stepdaughter is with us every other week, my 20-something daughter also lives with us). I make a big pot of hearty soup on the weekend and we get lunches and a couple dinners out of that. This week it's Tuscan Bean Soup (white beans, Italian sausage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, chopped turnip greens, Italian spices - yum!). Last week was a spicy lentil with butternut squash and chorizo, next week who knows? Also use your freezer to stock up on sale meats -- yesterday I got 9 pounds of ground beef and 8 pounds of boneless pork roast for $22 total! That's a lot of meat meals for very little... We also eat lots of fruit and veg, buy cheese when it's on sale(it keeps well) and buy very little processed foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living