U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM

220 posts, read 87,007 times

Advertisements

We've been living with family for some time and in the past have done it for a variety of reasons.

If everyone wants to do it and is up for making it a positive situation then I say do it! But things can happen and situations may come up where a backup plan for if your family needs to move out/away. So maybe have a list of apartments nearby that your family could qualify for if something happens and they need to relocate and place a portion of money that you save aside for emergency housing (enough for a deposit and up to 6 months rent) because even if you guys get along well things happen and your family needs to prepare to take care of themselves if they get left alone.

I remember asking a similar question and got a lot of people going on about how they couldn't stand their in-laws, warning you that the women are going to fight and all that. Fortunately my family all have formed healthy relationships and our personalities go really well with each other so we actually live better with each other than we do with most neighbors. I personally think that there's immense value in co-living with family members especially those with growing children. Your family has to be into it, which it sounds like yours is so I say go ahead.

No matter what, thank you and your family for the sacrifices you all make for the rest of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:11 PM

3,482 posts, read 850,556 times
How old are you kids? Seems kind of disruptive to their lives.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:37 PM

2,090 posts, read 840,163 times
No way I would do it, especially since you donít need to do this for financial reasons.

Old Today, 07:23 PM

333 posts, read 130,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
So my parents are offering me and my wife a cool opportunity to save and invest a lot of money for the next 2 yrs.

I've getting deployed for a total of 400 days. I'm in the Army Reserves and a State Correctional Luitentant. We live just 10 mins from my parents house. My wife works for local government as well.

My parents suggest my wife and kids move in with them until I get back, plus rent out the current house we live in now. We've done this twice before but not with kids. Their house is over 2800 sqft. Plus I'm getting a big contract bonus for reenlistment. So this would pay off our 3rd house and all the deployment money/wife salary would go to buying 2 more houses. I just don't want invade my parents space and put my family in bad situation. Would you move back in?
Move in only if your wife and kids get along with your parents and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or