Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 25,143 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get a job soon, and I have money saved on my calfresh food stamp ebt card because I'm extremely frugal. Will this money stay on the card after benefits cease, or do I need to start eating very well so the money doesn't evaporate?

Thanks

Old 12-01-2015, 01:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
I think the balance stays active for at least a short time, perhaps until you would be required to recertify, which could be anywhere from next month to 11 months.

I once had food stamps and had a balance which stayed active several months; I didn't use the balance but I checked the balance because I had the same question.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:09 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindle View Post
I'm hoping to get a job soon, and I have money saved on my calfresh food stamp ebt card because I'm extremely frugal. Will this money stay on the card after benefits cease, or do I need to start eating very well so the money doesn't evaporate?

Thanks
They say it stays on for some months but my neighbors got stolen back by the food stamp office.
Then put back on a month later, almost like right when she'd forget about it. California probably has low food stamp\
participation because they do everything they can to keep you from using it

I'd spend it if I were you.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Don't just waste it, but buy staples that last that you can have around for when you need it--rice, cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, canned foods, etc. will keep for a long time.

I, too, do not know if you lasts after you no longer qualify. So just use it up

And CA has quite high food stamp use--they call it EBT--and the state supplements the federal amount for many benefits, so CA folks generally get more than folks in other states.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
The balance stays on card till used except with fraud issues. In fact if someone owes back money they will usually just deduct additional amount of money each month till it's paid. There is no time limit on funds, it is possible that cards occasionally need changed but the balance carries over. What you did was smart.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Don't just waste it, but buy staples that last that you can have around for when you need it--rice, cereal, flour, sugar, pasta, canned foods, etc. will keep for a long time.

I, too, do not know if you lasts after you no longer qualify. So just use it up

And CA has quite high food stamp use--they call it EBT--and the state supplements the federal amount for many benefits, so CA folks generally get more than folks in other states.
No No No. Please don't state the opposite against what I've said when it is completely untrue

If you are going to oppose someone, do your homework at least

Like I said, California has a low food stamp usage compared to other States.

Food Stamp Use, by State

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/st...rticle/2557800

Old 12-05-2015, 12:04 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
There is a contact number on any letter you received from them. A worker will let you know how long you have. I was on food stamps for awhile & it was 30 Days only before it was invalid. I would suggest buying staples also, canned or frozen vegetables, rice, beans, pasta, etc.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 PM

307 posts, read 630,791 times
You should call your social services office to find out for sure, but according to the faq you have to use them within one year or CA will take them back.

Frequently Asked Questions - Sonoma County Food Stamps -

Old 12-06-2015, 04:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
well if you get a job and don't really need the benefits I would think that the right thing to do is let that amount laps or call the benefits office and tell them you are not going to use that balance. It goes against the spirit of the food stamp system to hold on to the balance and use it when you no longer have the need for the benefits.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
well if you get a job and don't really need the benefits I would think that the right thing to do is let that amount laps or call the benefits office and tell them you are not going to use that balance. It goes against the spirit of the food stamp system to hold on to the balance and use it when you no longer have the need for the benefits.
when you get a job, it takes at least 2 weeks to get paid. Sometimes longer at first.

Likely, she would still need it during that time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living