U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Redmond, Washington
104 posts, read 27,246 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

My strategies with one of my p/t jobs is

1. During downtime after doing extra work-
wipe inside of the car. Rinse out the top I was wearing with soap and water under armpits, hang to dry overnight while at work. One less shirt to wash. Listen to sermons and audio bible. Answer eBay messages, bring in items and re-check listed inventory for accuracy. take pics of my items and list them. package up any sale items. check competitor prices and adjust accordingly. Floss and brush my teeth

2. Grocery outlet is the least expensive store for us. print out the $3 off $25 grocery coupon when you sign up with a new email. Use a quick temporary email address. Shop at Grocery Outlet in the town where I work, not where I live. It's cheaper.

3. Do all my business in the town where I work. Much less expensive

4. Bring trash to work and dump in dumpster. 1 paper bag at the most (just the two of us and we recycle). Remove any padded envelopes to re-use for my eBay out of trash.

5. Take client to thrift stores while on shift. Others don't like to but offers the ability to find something to re-sell or something we need at home anyhow. paid for the mileage and stores are all within 3 miles or so.

6. Encourage client to ride her bike which she prefers anyhow. pay for coffee if willing to. put on tennis shoes and run alongside to get some exercise during shift. Get as much exercise as client is willing to cycle.


At my weekend seasonal job, only the free ski tickets (some for family) free meals during shift at diner, and discounted meals for family are used. No other benefits working there except maybe it keeps us active and in shape while off shift due to skiing. Also staying in our RV on the premises at no cost, they provide bathrooms with showers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,380 posts, read 1,794,442 times
Reputation: 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond1 View Post
Also staying in our RV on the premises at no cost, they provide bathrooms with showers.
My first two thoughts on reading all this are:
- What's the annual cost of your RV?
- Could you please stay down wind? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,055 posts, read 19,599,924 times
Reputation: 15519
Cheating/stealing from the store by using multiple email addresses to get a $3 coupon? NO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Redmond, Washington
104 posts, read 27,246 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
My first two thoughts on reading all this are:
- What's the annual cost of your RV?
- Could you please stay down wind? Thanks.
We rent the RV out for a few weeks each year so we've always considered it a wash.
To the second question, I am not sure what you are asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
23,718 posts, read 22,674,098 times
Reputation: 29027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
My first two thoughts on reading all this are:
- What's the annual cost of your RV?
- Could you please stay down wind? Thanks.
Taking a shower isn't enough? Is a sauna and dry brushing required, too? Maybe a detox diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 AM
 
3,393 posts, read 2,966,244 times
Reputation: 10027
I assume you are asking for comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond1 View Post
My strategies with one of my p/t jobs is

1. During downtime after doing extra work-
wipe inside of the car. Rinse out the top I was wearing with soap and water under armpits, hang to dry overnight while at work. One less shirt to wash. Listen to sermons and audio bible. Answer eBay messages, bring in items and re-check listed inventory for accuracy. take pics of my items and list them. package up any sale items. check competitor prices and adjust accordingly. Floss and brush my teeth

I don't know what type of job allows you to do your own thing during work. I have never had one like that. IMO, Hygiene type things should be done at home. It's more customer friendly. The EBAY stuff may be allowed IF your employer allows it.


2. Grocery outlet is the least expensive store for us. print out the $3 off $25 grocery coupon when you sign up with a new email. Use a quick temporary email address. Shop at Grocery Outlet in the town where I work, not where I live. It's cheaper.

I agree with the other poster. IMO, that is not proper use of the store's coupon. You wouldn't give someone permission to consistently discount your pay. That is essentially what you are doing to them.


3. Do all my business in the town where I work. Much less expensive

I don't see a problem with that.

4. Bring trash to work and dump in dumpster. 1 paper bag at the most (just the two of us and we recycle). Remove any padded envelopes to re-use for my eBay out of trash.

Is this ok with your employer? Most places of business don't want other people's trash. It is usually frowned upon.

5. Take client to thrift stores while on shift. Others don't like to but offers the ability to find something to re-sell or something we need at home anyhow. paid for the mileage and stores are all within 3 miles or so.

If employer and client are ok with it, I don't see a problem.

6. Encourage client to ride her bike which she prefers anyhow. pay for coffee if willing to. put on tennis shoes and run alongside to get some exercise during shift. Get as much exercise as client is willing to cycle.

Ok if ok with client and employer.



At my weekend seasonal job, only the free ski tickets (some for family) free meals during shift at diner, and discounted meals for family are used. No other benefits working there except maybe it keeps us active and in shape while off shift due to skiing. Also staying in our RV on the premises at no cost, they provide bathrooms with showers.
If you do the math and it works and it makes you happy, then I don't see a problem. It all depends on personal goals and what you hope to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Redmond, Washington
104 posts, read 27,246 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I assume you are asking for comments.

If you do the math and it works and it makes you happy, then I don't see a problem. It all depends on personal goals and what you hope to achieve.
I really wanted ideas from others, not a critique of myself. So yes comments but not a critique of anyone's contributions. That is not our place. Offering experiences others can draw from is the reason for the thread. Should've made that clear, sorry.


To all contributors-ASSUME THE BEST. Don't play GOD putting yourself on a throne where you do not belong. Nor will I.


To explain-Anyone who works 18+ hr shifts is going to need to do personal hygiene at work. My shift is of the shorter ones offered. It is overnight and lasts 18 hrs yet has been as long as 72 hrs. Goes without saying brushing your teeth, washing your face, brushing your hair, showering maybe would be a given. No one appreciates being around anyone with B.O or bad breathe. My employer provides a separate bathroom with shower for that reason.

2nd explanation-Employer buys a HUGE dumpster for the same reason. To be utilized by employees and the company. It is the same cost than the trash cans they previously used.

3rd explanation-Of course client likes to go to thrift stores. We are paid to support that. Yet many employees do not enjoy thrift stores so instead try to fake it but client knows better. It's left to me to take her since it is something I enjoy. We share this. This is just a small part of the job as Supervisor.

4th explanation-regarding the coupons, they are being used as stated. No deviation from any guidelines since there are none. The only way to assume differently is to play GOD and conjur up your own personal rules trying to apply them to a company you are not employed nor have the right to dictate their motives/policies. I won't put myself into that place. I just read the rules, then proceed within those rules/guidelines.

This thread is just for ideas, let's keep it positive and productive. Not expecting they justify their avenues to $ave at work. That is not what this thread is for, and it de-rails it. Ignore what you don't like. Don't assume the worst as most people do not have similar nefarious minds nor need to justify themselves.

I apologize to any future folks who may have wanted to share their own experiences but are now discouraged because of the critiquing of ethics in this thread. Thank you to those who kept this thread positive and on-track. Being at work for so much of our lives, many of us, it would be nice to save $ while we are on the clock. So assume all jobs are different, some allow this or that, others do not. It's up to that employee to handle this, not us. Some jobs are contract jobs paid via whatever is produced. Some are Salary. Questioning someone's motives is best done looking inward where it orgininated. Thanks


.

Last edited by Redmond1; 02-06-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM
 
3,393 posts, read 2,966,244 times
Reputation: 10027
I think the problem here is most of us don't really relate to your original post. You're multitasking at work. You appear to have a non-traditional employment. Some of what you do would not be allowed for a majority of the population.

I think you can combine errands while driving to and from work to save on gas.

I'm in the phase where I'm thinking about my next 'career' after my youngest child leaves home in three years. I was talking to a neighbor yesterday. Her husband closed his office because of cuts by other businesses that affected his business. She went to work as a lunch lady at the local high school because although the pay isn't great, it gives her good hours so she can be home with her kids before and after school and provides insurance that is better than Obamacare. That's an option for me I guess if I decide I need benefits or pocket money that I don't currently have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Redmond, Washington
104 posts, read 27,246 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think the problem here is most of us don't really relate to your original post. You're multitasking at work. You appear to have a non-traditional employment. Some of what you do would not be allowed for a majority of the population.

I think you can combine errands while driving to and from work to save on gas.

I'm in the phase where I'm thinking about my next 'career' after my youngest child leaves home in three years. I was talking to a neighbor yesterday. Her husband closed his office because of cuts by other businesses that affected his business. She went to work as a lunch lady at the local high school because although the pay isn't great, it gives her good hours so she can be home with her kids before and after school and provides insurance that is better than Obamacare. That's an option for me I guess if I decide I need benefits or pocket money that I don't currently have.
I like suggestions i can incorporate at work during my 18-20 hr shift. But also wanted to hear of others experiences so they can share with each other.
Lunch lady, yes that sounds like the perfect job for all of the reasons you related above.
Same issue with my job. poor hourly wage but great benefits. Our best employees are older with side gigs they do at work. Off course after everything is pretty much done. It's encouraged. Mine is just Ebay but it gives me the time I'd otherwise spend at home checking all of my vitamin and supplement listings. And time to pack up any orders while at work (late at night). A few other employees are seasonal tax preparers, one does Medical Coding. One sells item she hand makes on Easy. She is doing it with the client too which she loves. And client loves the extra cash she is given to spend since she doesn't have much. As long as employees don't put their side gig first, it all works out.

All of these folks are better employees than we've had in years. Everything and more is completed on time. I work much less than I have in years. I am feeling like I'm doing everyone else job.

Glad you don't need the money. That's the perfect spot to be in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 PM
 
3,979 posts, read 2,256,003 times
Reputation: 9171
Redmond1


Dont make a post if you cant stand the heat. If you post illegal, unethical or immoral behavior in a post, its going to get slammed.

Or, as noted, maybe we dont understand the nature of your post. Not sure i exactly see this as " frugal" info.

Not sure you are asking something, looking for ideas or just sharing your story.

1)I agree: ripping off coupons is not moral or ethical at best. BUY several newspapers. Or use a coupon site that ALLOWS you to print several or as many coupons as you wish. That is ethical.

2) I'd be MORTIFIED if someone was laundering clothes at my work place. You should have a wardrobe that allows you plenty of fresh clothes between laundering. They DO make smaller portable washers for rvs, some dont even use electricity, just foot power. They are around $100 or less on AMAZON


3) I'd be MORTIFIED if workers were doing private things while at work. Millions of dollars of lost productivity already happens due to employees doing private things on work time. Employees are paid to work, not handle private business on work time.

4) Hygiene should be done AT HOME not at work. You say you work 18-20 hours, im SURE thats not 7 days a week. If so you need to find a job that allows you to do PERSONAL things on PERSONAL time.

5) I would NEVER PRESUME the employer wants to pay for workers trash disposal. Im positive in all my trash dealings that a large dumpster cost far more than a can or 2.

I agree that doing your personal business in the town you work WHILE ON BREAK is wise use of your time.

I see you dont mention bringing lunch to work to save eating out costs. So do you?

Do you work for Google and live in an RV to afford to work there? Google does seem to have extras to help employees get by in a very high COL area. USING those BENEFITS would be ok, though imho.

Best to you in your endeavors.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top