U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM

48 posts, read 7,919 times

Advertisements

I didn't mention but our two boys are considered "special needs" due to their diagnosis of Bipolar & ADHD.

We met them at a Foster Care Meeting and really liked them. We pushed to get them since we became friends with their Foster parents and it wasn't working out. We have so so much in common- hiking fishing, cycling, snowmobiling, skiing. We can only afford to ski 2-3x a season, that bothers me. They should be able to go more so if they can handle public school then my wife will work more then they can ski more.

Both boys plan on getting their 1st jobs as Seasonal jobs, working weekends, at the ski resort(s) when they turn 16. Free Skiing included. Four ski resorts are located about 1 hr from here.

And my wife set me straight. We do not get an earned income tax credit for them. She clearly handles our finances.

Last edited by FrugalFox; 02-14-2019 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We live on far less than how much we bring in.
Fantastic. Skimmed your posts, you have a very interesting life. Very self sufficient.
Maine and New Hampshire seem like great states to live
Before I worked in a Warehouse, I did Construction with my Dad for much of my life. He is a General
Contractor. My concern was not having a pension built up.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 PM

21,563 posts, read 27,041,681 times
As a generalization, or just for myself?

I would figure out how to increase my income. Get more training, do some smart investing, start a service industry business for myself.

I can't see just sitting around passively without enough money to survive and feeling sorry for myself without doing anything about it.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:39 PM

30,258 posts, read 48,416,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox View Post
Fantastic. Skimmed your posts, you have a very interesting life. Very self sufficient.
Maine and New Hampshire seem like great states to live
Before I worked in a Warehouse, I did Construction with my Dad for much of my life. He is a General
Contractor. My concern was not having a pension built up.
While finishing college, I realized the importance of a pension and decided to dedicate those years to get a military pension. I hated the job and the sacrifices that it required, but I am glad that I stayed focused on the pension.

Each year the number of farmers in our nation decreases. Here in Maine the number of farms is increasing each year. I believe that as culture we need to get away from Big Ag [Mega-Corps with ultra-processed 'food', Genetic-Engineered crops, Petroleum-fertilizers, and synthetic pesticides/herbicides]. In this region, we have a lot of small-scale organic farms and barter is more common practice.

I am from California, I can never return as my pension is not enough to support a family there.

But here it is a lot different.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
While finishing college, I realized the importance of a pension and decided to dedicate those years to get a military pension. I hated the job and the sacrifices that it required, but I am glad that I stayed focused on the pension.

Each year the number of farmers in our nation decreases. Here in Maine the number of farms is increasing each year. I believe that as culture we need to get away from Big Ag [Mega-Corps with ultra-processed 'food', Genetic-Engineered crops, Petroleum-fertilizers, and synthetic pesticides/herbicides]. In this region, we have a lot of small-scale organic farms and barter is more common practice.

I am from California, I can never return as my pension is not enough to support a family there.

But here it is a lot different.
You made wise choices and are living comfortably in a great location.

The Military gives you some level of healthcare too, eh?

We qualify for some healthcare but only after 10 yrs, I believe. I have one year to go.

It took 6 years for me to finish my AA degree in Criminal Justice but that's due to learning disabilities.

I plan to be a phlebotomist in the prison system- part time, for some years, after this gig is up.

I spent 5 months in Juvenile Hall between the ages of 16-17 so am comfortable in lock up.

And it's the highest hourly wage for that position I've seen

An injury from yrs ago I can feel when I work double hours during the holiday

6 to maybe 7 more yrs in the warehouse is the plan if my body holds out.

Old Today, 06:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,869,427 times
This thread title is about me.

Do you have medical care?
Yes; an Obama-care bronze plan until mid-year; then Medicare kicks in.

How many hrs do you work a week?
More or less 12 to 14.

How do you cover housing and food?
Our mortgage is quite modest (as is our small house.)
The Mr. and I chip in for groceries once a week.

How long has your circumstances been this way?
~14 years.

Do you see it changing and/or do you want it to change?
Yes; I'll be claiming Social Security in 2020. Not that I'll be "retiring", but I won't be working daily, for sure.
Neither husband nor I worship "wealth"; we'd rather have our nice frugal life than be a constant target for thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or