U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:02 AM

7,701 posts, read 5,675,585 times

Advertisements

The thing with many spices is, that it will go "bad" (though they really just lose a little something) before I use all of the little supermarket size container.

I try to avoid stocking up on anything that I don't have a very concrete, targeted desire/liking for.

Like Crackers...My wife wanted to get an enormous thing of crackers, and it was cheap, but we rarely eat a normal size box before it goes stale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 11:18 AM

22,362 posts, read 4,722,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Do you go by unit price or total price out of pocket?
This could be about any item, that you do NOT stock up on, even if you could save a bit of money.

-- For example: will you buy a bigger spaghetti sauce at less money, even if you know you'll end up not using part of it?

Specifically my question now is about spices.
I've found online places to buy spices "in bulk" for less than buyers club prices. For example:
-- 1lb of basil for $6.99.....vs big box warehouse club's 3.5 oz for 3.99.

In this case the larger amount is less per pound (so you "get more for your money") -- but the smaller amount that costs more per pound, would be less out of pocket at purchase -- AND the smaller amount (the large brand name carton at a major buyers club -- would last me months and months and months, and months anyway.

But then again once a spice/herb is dried and open it can take YEARS for flavor to dissipate. SO why not buy months' worth.

So would you buy bulk spices that last almost a year....or smaller amount and cheaper as you go, even if "unit" price is more?

No way would I buy in bulk. No matter what anyone says, freshness and potency is gone after a year.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 AM

11,448 posts, read 5,499,011 times
The title is confusing, May be you should fix the title.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:29 PM

6,526 posts, read 6,898,945 times
^^ What? Everyone who's answered so far has understood it quite well.
The question is exactly what I'm asking.....what things will you NOT stock up on even though it might be cheaper to do so?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:17 PM

10,442 posts, read 5,710,682 times
Milk. I barely finish the liter of milk that I occasionally buy now. Even if I found milk at a great price, I wouldn't want to take up space in my freezer to keep it fresh before I used it.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM

2,588 posts, read 6,123,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Do you go by unit price or total price out of pocket?
This could be about any item, that you do NOT stock up on, even if you could save a bit of money.

-- For example: will you buy a bigger spaghetti sauce at less money, even if you know you'll end up not using part of it?

Specifically my question now is about spices.
I've found online places to buy spices "in bulk" for less than buyers club prices. For example:
-- 1lb of basil for $6.99.....vs big box warehouse club's 3.5 oz for 3.99.

In this case the larger amount is less per pound (so you "get more for your money") -- but the smaller amount that costs more per pound, would be less out of pocket at purchase -- AND the smaller amount (the large brand name carton at a major buyers club -- would last me months and months and months, and months anyway.

But then again once a spice/herb is dried and open it can take YEARS for flavor to dissipate. SO why not buy months' worth.

So would you buy bulk spices that last almost a year....or smaller amount and cheaper as you go, even if "unit" price is more?
I buy spices that I use regularly from the warehouse club. I couldn't tell if the flavor dissipated any. It's not like I'm running a 3 star Michelin restaurant. We regularly cook at home and try to use fresh herbs when we can, but dried is just fine for us too.

A tip on marinara sauce, it freezes well. My wife and I make our own and we just recently made a big batch. We froze the rest into freezer bags portioned out. So when we make pizza we defrost the one bag. It's very versatile and we use it for lasagna, pasta etc. Even if you don't want to make your own, just freeze the store bought sauce and defrost when you're ready to use.

I don't see the purpose of buying the huge containers of items like Ketchup and Mustard. It would take forever to use it up, and it takes a large amount of room in the fridge.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 AM

36,084 posts, read 44,232,207 times
I won’t stock up on anything large, like paper products, unless there is room to store them.

In general, I like small quantities that we will use up quickly.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM

2,028 posts, read 2,369,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Occasionally, the large bulk price is so cheap that it is still a money savings to throw half of it away. But sometimes the per ounce price of the largest size is more expensive than the per ounce price of the little size.

Example: I bought a 15 pound bag of potatoes for 99 cents (yes, good sale) . A single potato is costing 59 cents a pound.. I stored and used those potatoes for months and finally threw out the last four of them. Potatoes don't freeze well, or I would have frozen most of the potatoes when I first brought the bag home. I knew I couldn't use them all before I brought the bag home, but the price was so low, I could afford to throw some of them away and still come out far ahead.

If I knew I would only use one potato, it would have been cheaper to buy just one potato in spite of the difference in the price per pound.
Potatoes are .99 a lb, when I last bought them. I would buy the larger bag, like you, if the store had them. You got a good price.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,442,397 times
We unintentionally stock-up on numerous things that we would not otherwise stock... shampoo, pancake syrup, olive oil, etc..

There are two sources - 1) we often shop separately and lose track of what the other has purchased; 2) my wife grew up in a small rural town, 40-50 miles away from significant shopping - and habitually bought things they might otherwise run-out of.

After all, the store is across the street! - Even at a good price, it doesn't make sense to offload their inventory.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 AM

21,634 posts, read 27,142,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Potatoes are .99 a lb, when I last bought them. I would buy the larger bag, like you, if the store had them. You got a good price.

I'm in Idaho and sales like that are only at potato harvest time and only in locally owned markets. I take advantage but it is rare.

Things I don't stock up on: the gallon size canned fruit and veggies are extremely cheap. But I can't use a fraction of them, so I don't buy.

They require a special can opener that isn't cheap, but I would buy the can opener if I could use the contents, which I can't. I could use the gallon of green chilies to make and freeze rellanos and I could use the gallon of apple slices to make and freeze pies, but I don't want to spend the $125 for the can opener for those things because I rarely make rellanos or apple pies.

Onions are 10 cents a pound in the 50 pound bag. In no way could I use 50 pounds of onions. They freeze OK when chopped, but 50 pounds of onions takes up a lot of freezer space. So I buy the 4 pound bag that costs $1.09 and I barely get those used before they go soft.

One of the markets where I used to live had 10 pound produce sales. If you bought 10 pounds, you got a screamin' deal. But it is hard to use up 10 pounds of fresh fruit before it goes bad. I'd sometimes buy the 10 pounds of Roma tomatoes and make gallons of fresh salsa and my family would stuff ourselves with fresh salsa for a couple of days. But pears, apples, bananas wouldn't get used up. The produce sales were never on things that froze or stored well. No great deals on red bell peppers or winter squash.

There is a local produce stand that sell fruit by the lug. By the lug it is really cheap, but by the pound, it is more than the supermarket price. For someone who does canning, it is a fabulous deal. But I gave up canning long ago, so it doesn't work for me, except that I will buy a lug of black cherries and freeze them in single serving bags and eat them still frozen.

Normally, the great bargains aren't actually cheap enough to justify using half and throwing the rest away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or