U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:47 PM

2,001 posts, read 3,462,059 times

Advertisements

With the new year and tax season hear I see all these great deals popping up for new cars, exercise equipment, electronics, and then you aimlessly scroll through craigslist and the like and see all the same stuff and they're practically giving it away compared to what they paid for it new. I was wondering what you all thought, is it really worth buying something new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 06:13 PM

21,724 posts, read 27,349,917 times
Sure, but it depends upon what the item is.

I would not buy second hand upholstered furniture because if that furniture came with bed bugs, it could cost thousands to get them removed from my home. So, only new for upholstered furniture. I prefer wooden furniture to be 200 years old, so I buy my wooden furniture used. That used furniture has to be treated for wood worm before I bring it into my house and I am willing to pay for that extra expense.

Brand new car? Maybe. It depends upon the deal you can get. Buy brand new, take extraordinary care of the car and drive it until the wheels fall off. To buy used cars, you need some mechanical ability so you don't buy someone else's expensive problem that will need immediate repair. The new car comes with a warranty. How good are you at identifying mechanical problems?

Exercise equipment, if you are patient, people give that stuff away for free if you will just haul it away. People end to buy that stuff with good resolve and it sits around collecting dust until they want the space back.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:00 AM

5,599 posts, read 8,406,676 times
Underwear, shoes, toothbrushes, mattresses pillows and bedding...

I buy as little as possible new otherwise. (Sure information 1-2 things, but not much)

Old 03-08-2019, 12:45 AM

17,714 posts, read 21,960,966 times
Depends on the item. I weigh how long will it be before it may need a repair, and will I lose my purchase money too soon. I usually buy appliances new. I don't want to have to dispose of one that dies right away, either. I bought a new portable air conditioner last year. I would not buy a used one, as I'd expect it to die too soon and I wouldn't get good value for my money and I'd just end up being the one throwing it away for the seller - and paying for the privilege.

I also don't buy used vacuum cleaners. The idea of someone else's dirt grosses me out. I no longer buy used rugs or anything upholstered, either, because of bed bugs or someone's animal smells, dirt, etc.

But, looking around the room I'm in, other than the air conditioner and a few decorative items I bought new (all of which were great deals, including the area rugs), most things were bought used on Craigslist or another website or at rummage sales or thrift stores. I will buy linens, quilts, fabric used and I just wash it.

I bought this laptop used on Ebay and bought a warranty at the same time - they offer a Square Trade warranty even on used electronics on Ebay. And I just bought a used Iphone 6s on swappa for $189 with no tax and free shipping. They also offered me a warranty.

So, basically, I consider the long-term value, and bug and dirt issues, and warranties.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,311,925 times
I'm not a shopper, and is quicker to buy new things like shoes,, than to search resale shop for days for size and style. When I need new shoes, the style and size are printed right on the box.

Nickel/dime stuff like can opener or shower curtain, just buy off the shelf when you need one, rather as an impulse buy at a yard sale when you don/t need one... Shower curtain, just lower the bar a little and snip off the grungy bottom, good as new.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-08-2019 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 09:45 AM

8,680 posts, read 10,506,199 times
Occasionally, we buy re-conditioned or used when it makes sense. Electronics are a good example: I recently bought an almost new Ipad Pro 12.9 and an Iphone 7+ in perfect shape, for about $500 less than the price of the new Ipad alone. I also recently bought reconditioned laptops for my 8/10-year old grandsons - along with the Ebay Square Trade warranty (If they do well with these, I may buy them new ones later). About a year ago, I bought a one-year-old used car with 25,000 miles on it - to replace our second car.

Otherwise, we generally buy new, higher quality things. I'm more value conscious, than price conscious and will often pay more if I believe the lasting quality is there. I'm also not reluctant to return things when they fail prematurely.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:08 AM

5,380 posts, read 8,346,567 times
Here is an example -

I bought a brand new car about 2 years ago... I paid $27k for it ($25k + $2k state tax @ 8%/reg/fees). At that price point I felt it wasn't worth buying used. It was a brand new 2017 model and was refreshed with a few more bells and whistles than the previous 2015/2016 model. I also was able to get some incentives 0% x 60 mos and $1k rebate.

By contrast when I scoured the internet for used cars the 2015s and 2016 with < 20k miles were asking $22-23k. The cheapest I found was one with 20k miles and asking $21,800 and the dealer absolutely refused to budge saying they would lose money below that. I tried to bargain hard on that but they flat out refused.

So, the question was - should I buy a brand spanking new car with 0 miles, more warranty, guaranteed history, more life left, better resale, refreshed design, in the exact trim I want for $2-3k more? The answer was absolutely yes...a no brainer.

So, to those who say buy slightly used, that is not always accurate. The more expensive the car the more it makes sense. Buying slightly used on a $100k car with a potential $20k savings is different than a $25k car to save $3k.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:39 PM

25,081 posts, read 32,141,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
With the new year and tax season hear I see all these great deals popping up for new cars, exercise equipment, electronics, and then you aimlessly scroll through craigslist and the like and see all the same stuff and they're practically giving it away compared to what they paid for it new. I was wondering what you all thought, is it really worth buying something new?
Of course. As others have stated, it depends on the item. For me personally, I actually prefer most things to be new. My clothing and my shoes, for certain. Cars? Not so much. Cameras? Many electronics? Used are fine. Pots and pans...sure, used is fine for me, as long as they are in excellent shape. Tools and things of that nature...sure. But to be honest, most used items that I see for sale are rarely anything I am looking for anyway ( other than cars of course).

Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 PM

25,081 posts, read 32,141,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I'm not a shopper, and is quicker to buy new things like shoes,, than to search resale shop for days for size and style. When I need new shoes, the style and size are printed right on the box.

Nickel/dime stuff like can opener or shower curtain, just buy off the shelf when you need one, rather as an impulse buy at a yard sale when you don/t need one... Shower curtain, just lower the bar a little and snip off the grungy bottom, good as new.
LOL. “Lower the bar”? I guess if you have a removable bar that would work. But cut off the “grungy bottom”? Ewwww gross. Buy a new freaking curtain.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 PM

183 posts, read 25,203 times
I just bought a new, extra fancy Wahl haircut kit last night from Walmart for $39.00. This is in anticipation of the new minimum wage increase that I expect to create a lot of inflation in the lower level service economy. Additionally, another motivator, was the coughing and hacking the last few times I visited. Why risk an illness when you can touch up your hair on a weekly basis yourself?

In this case, I think buying new was good idea considering the sharp cutters are the key element. And the cost is recouped in a few haircuts.

So I have no issue buying new under several circumstances. A key one is when the item I am buying replaces something I would normally pay for on an ongoing basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or