U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 PM

287 posts, read 93,957 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? Example you want to buy something on best buy online or in store or target or gap or any store like that. So say you want to buy online. Well you could pay with your credit card and pay the price. Or you could buy a gift card from one of those sites like giftcardpool and raise etc. Example you buy a 50 dollar gift card and can get like 5 or even 10 percent off etc. So say you buy something worth 50 dollars online. You buy that gift card for 5% off or 47.50. Your credit card gets charged for that. Then you use that gift card to make the purchase of that item on best buy and you get it for 47.50.

Has anyone here done this before? I previously have done this a while back but not for a long time now. Are there any negatives to this? Example what if you have to return an item or get a refund? Do you always get a credit back to the gift card? A negative i think would be if you buy a gift card for 5 percent off but then the item you buy you return it or don't want it and have to be stuck with that gift card right? Of course you could sell it and pay a percentage.

But if you eventually will make a purchase at that site in the future whether its best buy, target, gap etc... is is best to buy gift cards instead? That way you are getting a discount? Anyone can tell me reputable sites like this for gift cards? The ones that i know are good is cardpool and raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 PM

9,020 posts, read 11,192,080 times
All that just to save $2.50 cents? Think of the exposure to fraud using that method, not to mention the wasted value of your time.

here's what I do. My credit card has perks associated with the money spent, so I may already be getting 3% back on that purchase which diminishes the savings buying used gift cards online. Second, my local grocery store has a rewards program that offers money off fuel based on accumulated point each month. So if I buy a $250 gift card to a store I'm going to make a purchase from, and I make the gift card purchase on a day they are having their 4 times fuel point bonus, I get 1,000 points or $1,00 off each gallon of gasoline I buy. If I fill the car up with 16 gallons, and fill the portable truck tank with the reminding 19 gallons (they have a 35 gallon limit), I saved $35 at the pump plus another $5 (2% on gift card purchases) cash back on the credit card for the gift card, plus lets say after the dollar off the gasoline was only $1.50 a gallon for a credit card payment of $52 which translates to another $1.50 cash back (3% on gasoline) for a total savings of $41.00 or about a 18% discount for that gift card. Sure beats 5%.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 AM

50 posts, read 12,728 times
I buy discounted gift cards for sites I will use. For example, I was doing Swagbucks and could get 10% off on an Amazon gift card. Since I shop Amazon fairly often, buying that gift card was a good deal for me. Especially since I didn't have to pay any real money for it.

It depends on how much time you have to spend on searching and whether or not you'll actually use the gift card. If you're going to use it and it's quick to find a discount, then go for it!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 PM

7,505 posts, read 15,765,965 times
Publix does a regular 'spend $50 and you can buy a $50 gas card for $40' promotion. We make sure to take advantage of it whenever it shows up, not only for the nice 20% gas discount but also because there's a problem with skimmers at gas pumps down here, and better to lose the last $7 from a gas card than to have another credit card replaced for fraud reasons.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM

5,018 posts, read 3,310,551 times
Same OP cross-posted to the "Shopping and Consumer Products" group?

Is that acceptable now?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:25 PM

23,446 posts, read 29,546,097 times
i did some of this in the past. its not the easiest way to save a few bucks. when i bought my house and needed a lot of stuff, i got a few lowes gift cards. generally, the more useful the store the lower the discount %. then you have to deal with low value cards and digital cards that can be a pain to use. also, ive had situations where i got a gift card and then someone else used the funds on the gift card after i bought it. so if you arent careful; that kind of thing could happen and maybe you wont even notice. so i would be very careful trying to save money with discounted second hand gift cards.

i actually just bought an expensive item at home depot and i believe my wife went online and bought a 10% coupon. so saved 10% that way.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:45 AM

11,748 posts, read 20,008,847 times
And what about the activaton fees? I buy visa gift cards as a Christmas presents and I pay 4.95 fees on each one. Mine are never discounted, though.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:14 AM

18,341 posts, read 13,041,548 times
I buy gift cards from United mileage plus and redeem them through chase’s shopping portal so I earn UR points/United miles 3 times for the same purchase, effectively discounting the purchase 5-10% on top of any coupons

Old 03-25-2019, 03:00 PM

50 posts, read 12,728 times
I've not purchased a Visa gift card, but I've never had to pay an activation fee for the cards I have bought.

A pricey restaurant we liked would always put their gift cards on a 20% off sale around Christmas. We always bought $200 in gift cards (for $1600) because we enjoyed eating there and it saved us from paying full price. There are other restaurants that sell their own gift cards for 10-15% off if you look around. I think we bought Chili's gift cards with those discounts last year.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM

9,020 posts, read 11,192,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I've not purchased a Visa gift card, but I've never had to pay an activation fee for the cards I have bought.
None of the merchant cards (specific merchants or merchant groups) charge an activation fee as far as I know. Only the direct non-aligned cash cards from Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc., charges a fee. Now, from time to time you'll run across one of those aligned cash cards that may waive the fees but usually in the fine print they have other fees (like a monthly fee or none use fee, etc.) that makes up the cost. Some will even require a registration where they get your info and use purchase tracking to sell info about you to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or