U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:58 PM

5,886 posts, read 2,079,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Same here. It's very easy to construct cheap meal plans using healthy food.
Yes, but that involves three steps most people (under 40) can't get their heads around:

1. Stop eating take-out and fast food.
2. Stop buying prepared meal components.
3. Learn the basics of cooking that don't involve a microwave.

The rest really attends to itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,283,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
That's great that you've found something that works well for you, LittleDolphin. Whenever people say that eating healthy food is more expensive than eating unhealthy food, I want to scream.
Yes and No. What about people who want to buy organic? Fresh fish instead of canned? Other meat besides chicken and beef? Fresh fruit and veggies instead of canned or frozen? Organic eggs?

Old 03-19-2019, 06:33 PM

5,289 posts, read 9,698,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Yes and No. What about people who want to buy organic? Fresh fish instead of canned? Other meat besides chicken and beef? Fresh fruit and veggies instead of canned or frozen? Organic eggs?
Your points/questions cover a different topic altogether.

My thread is about how I lowered my grocery bill by eliminating animal products (and improved my well-being) from my grocery shopping...

I shop and chow down on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, pasta, nuts and legumes...

No meat, no poultry, no fish, no dairy, no cheese...

Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,283,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Your points/questions cover a different topic altogether.

My thread is about how I lowered my grocery bill by eliminating animal products (and improved my well-being) from my grocery shopping...

I shop and chow down on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, pasta, nuts and legumes...

No meat, no poultry, no fish, no dairy, no cheese...

Sorry didn't read that. No animal products sure lowers the food bill. But where I live nuts, fruits and veggies can get very expensive unless one sticks to the same boring ones.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Sorry didn't read that. No animal products sure lowers the food bill. But where I live nuts, fruits and veggies can get very expensive unless one sticks to the same boring ones.
That's rough. I try to stick to seasonal fruits and veggies, locally grown, whenever possible--or what's on sale. As I'm in NC, we get quite a bit of produce in season and some comes from Florida when it's not in season here.

It's easy to grow tomatoes and lettuces here.

Frozen fruits and vegetables can be very affordable when on sale and their nutritional profile is very close to fresh when they are flash frozen.

Even some stand-by vegetables and fruits can be dressed up with the creative use of herbs and spices.

Sweet potatoes and black beans, Caribbean-style, is my current go-to dish...like to make it spicy...

Old 03-19-2019, 06:58 PM

2,163 posts, read 915,105 times
I am headed in the same direction. Cholesterol was up and I don't want to take a pill for it. So I am eating even less meat than I was before, trying to cut out animal fats, eat more vegs and fruits. I really have to convince myself to eat beans though.

So many health problems can be made better with diet. But the average American gets high BP and takes a pill. Diabetes, another pill. High cholesterol, a third pill. And keeps eating the same crappy diet.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am headed in the same direction. Cholesterol was up and I don't want to take a pill for it. So I am eating even less meat than I was before, trying to cut out animal fats, eat more vegs and fruits. I really have to convince myself to eat beans though.

So many health problems can be made better with diet. But the average American gets high BP and takes a pill. Diabetes, another pill. High cholesterol, a third pill. And keeps eating the same crappy diet.
Yep, that's what's led me to giving up animal products. I tried the Keto/Caveman ways of eating, cut out the carbs, but my health began to go South. I'd rather change my diet than become a profit center for the health care/pharmaceutical industry.

Some folks would rather keep their way of eating than change their foods. I understand. Food is a touchy-feely topic for us all and some hold meat and dairy close to our hearts and pay the price of pills, insulin and surgery.

When I get a real hankering for a burger, I've discovered a veggie burger that fills the desire. I pile on sauteed onions or mushrooms (or both!), ketchup, mustard, pickles and am a happy camper. It's a very meaty-tasting burger--just not greasy.

Don't feel deprived or hungry as these high fiber foods are very filling...

Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 PM

2,163 posts, read 915,105 times
I find that the older I get, the less enthralled I am with food. Most meat from the grocery, I know the backstory is not a good one. When I do eat meat, it is locally grown and processed. I no longer drink anything but water, coffee, and tea. Soda is disgusting to me, too sweet. Never been a milk drinker, it does not agree with me. I volunteer at a food shelf and we usually have a tall rack of all kinds of sweets. There are practically none that appeal to me. All those cakes and cupcakes with frosting, you know it is made from shortening and not butter. The thought of that just turns me off. The pies are always soggy. The cookies are mostly dry and not as good as the ones I can make at home. I eat very simply.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:04 AM

703 posts, read 207,596 times
Aldi! I found Aldi recently and my grocery bill has dropped dramatically. We are not brand specific for most things, and the prices are fantastic! I now do 80% of my shopping at Aldi, and they have tons of healthy options!

Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Aldi! I found Aldi recently and my grocery bill has dropped dramatically. We are not brand specific for most things, and the prices are fantastic! I now do 80% of my shopping at Aldi, and they have tons of healthy options!
Wish we had an Aldi near us..but a Lidl opened recently and it's our new favorite go-to grocery store. We shop the specials and save a bunch.

Many of their imported-from-Italy products are excellent. Many are organic.

Lidl has some amazing prices on produce, too. It's good to have these alternatives to other stores, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or