U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:53 AM

5,283 posts, read 9,670,788 times

Advertisements

I accidentally achieved this after i read (and digested, pun fully intended) a book written by Neal Barnard, M.D. The book's title is Dr. Neal Barnard's Cookbook for Reversing Diabetes. 150 recipes scientifically proven to reverse diabetes without drugs. Barnard's credentials and research are impressive.

I don't yet have diabetes, but my lab work seemed to tell me I was heading in that direction, which is why I read the book.

I like to cook simple recipes that taste good. If they're healthy, all the better. I'm not a fussy cook, and won't make meals that require a lot of pricey, fancy ingredients.

Now I'm not a vegan or ever really considered this way of eating. I was raised on a meat and a starch and a vegetable. "Meat and potatoes."

Barnard's book and recipes are vegan---and low-fat. Moi? Eat this way?

Well, I thought I'd try it.

One month goes by, five pounds lighter.

And the biggest surprise? My grocery bill is much lighter, too.

Sixteen ounces/one pound of canned beans sell for $.59 - $.89 at my local grocery stores. Sixteen ounces/one pound of meat or poultry? Much higher. Fish? Much, much higher.

I really enjoy the recipes in the book. Easy to make. Delicious. Filling. I've learned that non-meat sources of protein are in grains and vegetables--as is high fiber. Filling; healthy.

Feeling better, looking better and liking my grocery bill over the last month. One-third less. Future lab work will tell the tale of my blood sugar. My blood pressure has come down--and that makes me happy.

Forever vegan? I don't know. But so far, so good. Something to think about for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM

921 posts, read 187,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Forever vegan? I don't know. But so far, so good.
How's your hearing on the diet? Because, as everyone knows, Vegans are people who can't hear a tomato scream when you cut into it.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM

409 posts, read 236,771 times
That's great that you've found something that works well for you, LittleDolphin. Whenever people say that eating healthy food is more expensive than eating unhealthy food, I want to scream. I remember seeing a PBS special with Dr. Barnard. For me, he's a little too restrictive to keep following his program for a lifetime, but it would be a great jumpstart into healthier eating. I'm more in tune with Dr. Joel Furhman's nutrition plan, also presented on PBS, which is a little more lenient. After seeing his program, I realized that I follow his plan about 80% of the time.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
That's great that you've found something that works well for you, LittleDolphin. Whenever people say that eating healthy food is more expensive than eating unhealthy food, I want to scream. I remember seeing a PBS special with Dr. Barnard. For me, he's a little too restrictive to keep following his program for a lifetime, but it would be a great jumpstart into healthier eating. I'm more in tune with Dr. Joel Furhman's nutrition plan, also presented on PBS, which is a little more lenient. After seeing his program, I realized that I follow his plan about 80% of the time.
I appreciated your comments.

Yes, lots of folks think eating wholesome foods is more expensive than unwholesome foods. And the opposite is true. Plus, we pay a price in medical bills for an unhealthy diet, so it costs more in that way, too.

Animal products just cost more; more often than not, a lot more. Plus, I can grow some fruits and vegetables and herbs in planters and raised beds, but I'm sure not going to raise cows, pigs, chickens or turkeys or fish on my suburban plot. The neighbors would complain.

The common question is "where's the protein"? when one eats vegan/non-animals.

Plenty of protein in beans and greens. Plus much more healthy fiber. The missing B12 is taken care of in one tiny cheap pill a day.

A healthier food budget; a healthier me. Loving it.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM

25,070 posts, read 32,132,640 times
Happy you found something that works for you. Obviously we all have our own food preferences. Meat is something I will never voluntarily give up.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

5,627 posts, read 1,983,824 times
Yes, living on some variation of rice and beans can be very cheap. All health and preference issues aside.

The meta-question here is, if you're so frugal you give up everything, why climb out of your straw mattress in the morning?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM

12,631 posts, read 17,205,010 times
If this works for you - great. Please do not rely on the little B12 pill. Discuss it with your physician.

To me canned beans are canned beans; neither great not wholesome nor anything but canned beans. I serve well balanced meals with meat, starch, vegetables, fruit and dairy. We have no health issues.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, living on some variation of rice and beans can be very cheap. All health and preference issues aside.

The meta-question here is, if you're so frugal you give up everything, why climb out of your straw mattress in the morning?
Don't feel I'm giving up "everything." Gaining in health, avoiding diabetes, losing weight, lowering BP, saving on grocery bills, and feeling good is gaining, not losing.

But your mileage may vary.

I know many people will never forego meat. No matter what. Whatever floats your boat. I'm an equal opportunity eater.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:48 PM

5,627 posts, read 1,983,824 times
Quote:
Don't feel I'm giving up "everything." Gaining in health, avoiding diabetes, losing weight, lowering BP, saving on grocery bills, and feeling good is gaining, not losing.

I know many people will never forego meat. No matter what. Whatever floats your boat. I'm an equal opportunity eater.
I wasn't talking about just food.

And of course, the integral attitude to frugalism is that giving up _____ is always a win.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:58 PM

25,070 posts, read 32,132,640 times
Quote:

If you have health issues that require you to change your diet, it’s quite understandable that you would do so. It’s smart, in fact. But there are plenty of folks that have no such issues, and our food choices will naturally be different. I have low BP, healthy weight, and actually spend a small amount on my groceries so I am good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or