Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,176 times

Advertisements

I spend about $100 a month more on gasoline than I did a few years ago, and as a result, my shopping for other goods has to be cut back. I have cut back on clothes shopping, travel and eating out. Where have you cut back and when gasoline goes to $5.00 will you drive less or shop less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Can't possibly drive less. Job is only 9 miles away. And I only do shopping between here and there. I would switch to a more fuel efficient car that gets at least 30 mpg - WHEN it is time to get rid of mine.

Mostly MY clothes, diet foods (bad idea I know! - but mac and cheese is still cheap), we don't go out to eat as much.

Have not cut down on - dental and medical bills ouch! - and we are healthy - these are just checkup bills...

Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
We have not changed out spending "habits". And, most likely will not for the foreseeable future

Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
My family already has. We consolidated all of Our errands to stores etc. into one day. Make a big circle hitting all places as we go. My husband drives a lot with his job so he will pick things up as we need them if goes near a store during the course of his day. I walk my children to school rain or shine. They hate it but oh well. We have cut out all impulse purchases, quit smoking, lowered the amount of luxury spending to almost nil. Do bulk shopping once a month and try to make it last for another month only getting milk, bread, etc. as we need. No longer eat out, make own lunches. Not much more we can cut out. Its riduculous. We wanted to drive to Fl. for christmas break but don't think we will be doing that with the cost of gas. Maybe next year.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I have stopped doing errands during my lunch breaks at work. I can do those errands when I do my grocery shopping.
I line up the stores I need to go to and go to the farthest one 1st and work my way back.
Hubby is taking the Harley to work instead of his truck. That saves ALOT of gas.
I've cut down on my impulse shopping too.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I spend about $100 a month more on gasoline than I did a few years ago, and as a result, my shopping for other goods has to be cut back. I have cut back on clothes shopping, travel and eating out. Where have you cut back and when gasoline goes to $5.00 will you drive less or shop less?
I agree, things seem to cost more than they did a few years ago. The strange thing is that as gasoline got more expensive, clothes, shopping, travel and eating out got more expensive too.

Or maybe it's not so strange. I think I may have heard this described before. Is it inflation?

Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM

204 posts, read 774,008 times
Thankfully we're both retired so no more commuting (my job was always on-the-road).

We have consolidated trips, don't go far if we go out to eat.

The high price of gas has caused a domino effect in everything we use and purchase. So we feel it all around.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I agree, things seem to cost more than they did a few years ago. The strange thing is that as gasoline got more expensive, clothes, shopping, travel and eating out got more expensive too.

Or maybe it's not so strange. I think I may have heard this described before. Is it inflation?

Not only inflation but when fuel goes up the cost of transporting all the goods to "market" rises and is passed on to the consumers.

I started making a real effort a year ago to walk everywhere I could. Figured it was better for me and the environment. The savings has been huge. Really helps you weed out extraneous purchases when you know you are going to have to carry it home in your arms.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Not only inflation but when fuel goes up the cost of transporting all the goods to "market" rises and is passed on to the consumers.

I started making a real effort a year ago to walk everywhere I could. Figured it was better for me and the environment. The savings has been huge. Really helps you weed out extraneous purchases when you know you are going to have to carry it home in your arms.
Good for you. I wouldn't mind walking to work, shopping etc.., but when you live in the suburbs, you drive. You have no choice. I basically quit spending on anything but necessities, cutting back the most on dining out and food. I cut out junk food and snacks, and my grocery bill went down $20. I don't window shop anymore to save all my gas in the tank for my 35 minute commute.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Spend less on Starbuck's, groceries and dry cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living