U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 07:53 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,435,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Samsung appliances. My fridge has been a dog in many ways.
+1 our Samsung washing machine had a defective water pump. Flooded our second floor laundry room. Called a service guy. He told us the machine was under a national court settlement, they no longer made the defective part, though the machine was only a year old. We filed a complaint with Samsung. They sent us $50. That about covered .1% of the cost of repairs and a new machine. FU Samsung.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 09:48 AM

43,153 posts, read 53,793,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
+1 our Samsung washing machine had a defective water pump. Flooded our second floor laundry room. Called a service guy. He told us the machine was under a national court settlement, they no longer made the defective part, though the machine was only a year old. We filed a complaint with Samsung. They sent us $50. That about covered .1% of the cost of repairs and a new machine. FU Samsung.
Sort like the class action settlement we got once from Rooms to Go, for scotch guarding we paid over $100. for. They sent us $17.

Also, we will never buy extended warranties on a new car.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:46 AM

3,647 posts, read 2,781,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Same exact thing happened to me with United. Had to cancel a trip due to COIVD lockdowns. The United website said I can re book trip until March 2022. I rebooked my trip for Jan 2022 and was charged. I called United and they said my rebooking credit had expired, even though their website said it expires March 2022.

Waited on hold for 2 hours, manager said they couldn’t do anything, website was wrong and just had a “place holder date”.

Moving forward I’m flying Southwest. United is the absolute worst.
That's alarming! I just booked 3 tickets on United for a September trip to LAX. I avoided Southwest since they fly the Boeing 737 Max 8 jets. United uses the Max 9, and who knows if it's any safer? At least none of that model has crashed, so far!

I also re-booked all of my Expedia hotel reservations on Booking.com

I'm done with Orbitz/Expedia.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:01 AM

2,533 posts, read 1,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Most people learn to regret buying..

A Timeshare (you're on the hook forever for monthly "maintenance" fees)

A boat (you end up using it a lot at first but when the novelty wears off it just takes up space)

A hot tub (same comment as a boat)

and a private airplane. ( very high maintenance fees..one friend called it "a hole in the sky that you throw money through")
Excellent examples. Swimming pools are expensive, too. In my area of the country, you will end up paying to heat the water, as summers are rather cool (average daily high of 82 degrees F). Outdoor public pools have been dying out here.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM

3,314 posts, read 1,238,853 times
A Chipotle burrito delivered by DoorDASH,it tastes awfule,I threw it away,$15 down the drain

Old 07-27-2021, 05:08 PM

2,586 posts, read 942,840 times
Cars and car insurance. A flight to Europe is becoming less likely. My flight vouchers may expire as unusable.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 PM

42,082 posts, read 55,041,358 times
As seen on TV products.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:07 AM

4,250 posts, read 2,357,464 times
I don't have many regrets about buying things. Two stand out. Both were influenced by a then girlfriend 20 years ago. I bought $1400 worth of cookware (don't ask) when she did. Still have it. Only use one of the items - fry pan - for cooking hamburger. I also went halves on a seminar on how to invest in options (stock market). Lost money there. Needless to say, not with her any more and I learned not to spend big money just to impress women.

eBay and Amazon - very rare that I've ever had a problem. I mostly avoid buying used items though I have had success there. eBay's guarantee is great for the buyer, not so much for the seller. Most everything on Amazon is returnable. As for shipping I generally get what I buy on the day I'm supposed to get it and I know in advance how many days that will be.

New cars - rarely. I prefer driving older cars that I can work on. Except, a year ago I got the urge to buy a new Challenger (2020). Bought one for cash. Very happy about it.

I never book air travel or car rental with agencies. Always direct with the airline or car rental web sites. Much more control over what happens.

Cell phones. People who pay hundreds for a phone and over $100 a month for service are nuts. But I guess they have a reason. I've been with Tracfone for 10 years. I haven't paid more than $50 for a phone or more than $100 per year for phone service.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:57 AM

4,326 posts, read 2,698,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Did you read the feedback before buying? We’ve been on eBay for over 20 years. We can count the number of bad transactions on 3 fingers.
Same here. Having always been a "alternative resource" shopper, ebay is one of the first places I go when looking for something. I mainly buy clothing. I had one so-so purchase in the last year. Donated to Goodwill as I didn't pay much. Left ok feedback. Just a pair of pants clearly shrunken despite the measurements posted. Not worth making a big deal over it.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:14 PM

12,509 posts, read 17,402,312 times
Never buy again A new anything: TV, stereo, car, table and chairs, desk, garden tools, microwave, kitchen gadgets, electronic devices, bed room furniture and living room furniture, on and on. Many things can be had 2nd hand, computer printers, printer ink, etc.
Exceptions will be a new Roku device because our stupid ISP is requiring everyone to switch to wi-fi TV and internet.
New phone when ours breaks, new computer, new office supplies because we ran out like shipping tape, under clothes, etc.
Use Ebay, AliExpress, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, large yard sales.
If we can't find it in those places the chances are we don't need it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living