Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 05:38 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,749,994 times

Advertisements

There is a bum that is always on a street just off the highway near me. He has a sign that says “throw quarters at my face”. I’ve seen people do it. Lol. Inventive at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 06:28 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As others have said. Most supermarkets will have signs posted that say NO SOLICITING NO PANHANDLING or similar words, and they will call the police if there is a violator. Most 7=11 stores are in strip malls or other more industrial areas with a recent immigrant owners that may actually like the panhandlers, because they will come in and spend some of their collected money. Supermarkets are more concerned with them driving away the good customers that may be spending hundreds.
Yep when I worked in a convenience store there was a likable drunk who must have spent hundreds of dollars a week in that store, he used to be a productive member of society but got injured at work, it was his employers fault and they set up a trust for him for life(thats how you know it was his employers fault as it never went to court) anyway the trust was only $800 a month + his medical bills plus a lump some, (he should have sued and got a lot better deal) he would beg infront of the store all day for beer money ($800 a month did not go as far in 2002 as it did in 1978 when his employer set up the trust to avoid being sued, but in fairness that probably seemed like a good deal in 1978 as that was enough to live on back then as you could still find $199 a month apartments and $99 a month $99 down "tote the note" car payments 10 years later when I reached adulthood so I could imagine what you could live on in 78, but by 2002 $800 a month was "struggle money" )

he grew up in that neighborhood, in fact his ex wife and sister both lived in walking distance from the store (bet they were proud )

Old 10-28-2021, 08:29 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Yep when I worked in a convenience store there was a likable drunk who must have spent hundreds of dollars a week in that store, he used to be a productive member of society but got injured at work, it was his employers fault and they set up a trust for him for life(thats how you know it was his employers fault as it never went to court) anyway the trust was only $800 a month + his medical bills plus a lump some, (he should have sued and got a lot better deal) he would beg infront of the store all day for beer money ($800 a month did not go as far in 2002 as it did in 1978 when his employer set up the trust to avoid being sued, but in fairness that probably seemed like a good deal in 1978 as that was enough to live on back then as you could still find $199 a month apartments and $99 a month $99 down "tote the note" car payments 10 years later when I reached adulthood so I could imagine what you could live on in 78, but by 2002 $800 a month was "struggle money" )

he grew up in that neighborhood, in fact his ex wife and sister both lived in walking distance from the store (bet they were proud )
Hmmm, my BS meter is going off. He would also have been eligible for SS payments during that time and likely had the incident reported when he received medical services so the state would have stepped in as well.

Your story is good, but likely not true.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:32 AM

102,194 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Yes, OP; they're chased away from grocery stores, and from name-brand gas stations, but not the discount stations. Have you ever noticed that? There are certain businesses they can get away with hanging around, and others they can't.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:54 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
There’s a 7-11 by us that plays classical music loudly outside to keep the vagrants away.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:06 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There’s a 7-11 by us that plays classical music loudly outside to keep the vagrants away.
Worst songs of the '60s, '70s, and '80s would work, too.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:56 AM

705 posts, read 505,199 times
Pan handlers are some of the smartest people I’ve ever seen. They get free medical, SSI or SS disability payments, food stamps. All the money they earn is TAX FREE! And the USA is full of gullible people with lots of extra cash. I used to deal with bums, they know exactly what they are doing. One guy I knew owned a new Toyota 4x4 that he would drive to his “spot” he would “work”. He would get out his wheel chair, walk it over to the street corner, set out his bucket, be dressed in his raggedy, dirty clothes, and just sit with his head down. No sign, just sit. It was a busy intersection where a very busy swap meet and church was located with a stop light. So people would be moving past very slowly because of traffic. He told me he made about $250 a day on the weekends, some days he made a lot! The guy made a couple thousand a month from idiots just handing him money. Very smart man, I was impressed.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Panhandlers are on corners because they want the traffic. Convenience stores are usually on corners for the quick in and out.
Grocery stores are usually in strip centers because they need the parking.
Having worked with the homeless for many years, I'm not sure the initial premise ('that panhandlers go to 7-11's, but not grocery stores' has any basis in truth. But, let's assume it contains a seed of truth. The above location explanation seems logical and makes sense. Additionally, panhandlers and homeless people are less likely to hang around grocery store parking lots - because they attract unwanted attention from police and other authorities there.

Additionally, there are likely to be far more impulse buyers at convenience stores; who also represent the primary source of income for panhandlers.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:35 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Pan handlers are some of the smartest people I’ve ever seen.
I know that not all panhandlers are homeless, but the reverse is often true. A good friend told me about a "regular" they had that would visit their ER. He told her his way of getting cash and food.

He would to go into a grocery store and get a can of dog food and a can of Dinty Moore (or similar). He would feed the dog food to his dog, wash out the dog food can, then fill it with the Dinty Moore. He would then sit outside a grocery store (or 7-11), eating the "dog food" from the can and wait for handouts.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:39 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Most panhandlers are at least partial grifters. Shoppers exiting with groceries would be much more likely to give food instead of cash. Panhandlers want cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living