Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 10:38 AM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times

Advertisements

There is a thread running in another forum, TV, that has two handy dandy streaming comparison tools. I thought it would be of value to those trying to live a frugal life.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/3...d-channel.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 02:20 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
We've had Netflix since its inception and that has been plenty for us.

Then someone turned us on to the Firestick so now we can watch CINEMA which has nearly unlimited content from everywhere. It's not as convenient as Netflix but it's FREE. Often duplicates what is on the other paid streaming services.

So we don't need anymore.

We watch a lot of documentaries (especially Nature or travel) on You-Tube, free too. Some whole movies on there too (watched original "A Woman Scorned") just yesterday, wow.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:28 PM

155 posts, read 179,101 times
I try not to watch much tv. I have a Roku and the only apps that I use are free. I have Pluto TV, The Roku channel, Crackle, Tubi TV, and a free others that I can’t think of right now. I can’t see myself paying a small monthly fee for something that I’ll never watch. The only network broadcast that I watch is Blue Bloods.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Between Pluto and YouTube, I really do not need to purchase any TV services.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:50 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Ditto on using Roku and all the free channels. Also try "IMDB" on Roku as they also have lots of free shows.

One downside to Roku is when you search for a title, not all the free content will appear. Sometimes you have to know which odd ball free channel carries what type of shows and occasionally check them directly. But with thousands of free shows all the time, (watched the entire Midsomer Murder collection on Pluto) no need to pay for anything.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:08 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
I bought a Roku device for my older television for three some years ago. On the Roku channel on that one, I can get the old sitcom the mothers in law. Well, I decided to get a Roku device for my old TV in my bedroom. I cannot get the mothers-in-law on the bedroom TV. Off of the Roku channel. Which is really weird. But honestly between the Roku devices and my Mohu antennas, I don’t need cable anymore.

I’m not watching tv like I used to…

Old 03-22-2022, 11:15 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Between Pluto and YouTube, I really do not need to purchase any TV services.
We have a ROKU and small TV to test and try YouTube TV as an alternative to the local monopoly. Any hookup tips, issues, solutions? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
YouTube TV is basically a cheaper substitution for cable but it's still a Paid service subject to potential price increases.

Most of us with ROKU just use all the available FREE services like Pluto, Crackle, Tubi, IMDB and the various subscriptions services that frequently have FREE content like what Peacock does. But because we're frugal, usually you can get all the same programing free if you're willing to look accept some ads or wait until the season is over. To be truthful, except for the news, all the local channels have the same old same old. As for the news, between all the local stations having a Roku channel with live streams and the nationals free on Roku, no need to even pay for news anymore.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We have a ROKU and small TV to test and try YouTube TV as an alternative to the local monopoly. Any hookup tips, issues, solutions? Thanks.
I use FREE YouTube that I stream on my devices as well as Rumble. YouTube TV is an expensive pay service.

To stream it on my TV, I either connect my Chromebook to my smart TV or I use my phone to cast it to my television.

My wife is the tech monster, not me

Old 03-25-2022, 06:34 AM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Wife is home 24/7 due to health. She’s happy with DirecTV with DVR. I installed a TV antenna in the attic as a back-up. Based upon the number of channels we receive via antenna and the higher picture quality I would be happy to eliminate my DirecTV and replace the dish with an antenna. Having less channels and programs means more motivation to get off my backside to do things around the house and out in town. It would also mean no monthly DirecTV nor streaming service bill. With the antenna in the attic it’s protected from wind and lightning. Major networks come in true HD quality picture making movies and sporting events even more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living