Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times

Advertisements

I am not very thifty but I am trying to be now that I have set a goal to pay off my debt by years end. I do recycle everything possible but the city comes and picks it up. I have found myself buying store brand things to save a few bucks even though the quality is horrible. I also walk to the grocery store and to work to save money on gas. But it is pretty tough walking home 2 miles with a bunch of groceries. I make almost all my meals and always bring lunch to work. I eat out maybe once a week and only during happy hour. I also buy produce from farmers markets on the weekend and at the grocery store I buy as much as I can from the bulk section. I do one load of laundry a week and I make my own household cleaners with baking soda and vinegar.

One area that I am notoriously spendy on is makeup and hair care products. I hate buying either products from a drug store. For one bottle of shampoo and conditioner it costs me $45. And my foundation costs me $30. But I am really trying hard to spend less in this area. Today I am going to Walgreens to buy some blush and eyeliner. Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
This thread reminds me of my mom. Not a nano-ounce of anything is wasted in her household. For instance - when she has already flipped over the bottle of salsa to let gravity do its work so she can get at the last few scrapples, she still puts the bottle back in the fridge so she can "rinse" the last few streaks off into her next stew or tomato soup.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I wouldn't say I'm environmentally thrifty, but I do watch what I spend. I don't shop at thrift shops but I do wait for things to go on sale before I buy them. I clip (and use) coupons....but only if they're for products that I would normally buy. I buy the store brands of many items, especially OTC drugs. I actually eat leftovers. I'm surprised by the number of people who don't. Just reheating leftovers is so much easier than preparing another meal. I always try to get the last ounce of anything out of any bottle. I hang all of my shirts, pants and shorts up to dry rather than use the dryer. I have dimmer switches on almost all of my lights in my home. I can't stand those fluorescent bulbs though. I don't even have my light on in my office here at work because I can't stand the lighting. I haven't had a power bill over $40 since I bought my house 10 years ago. Rather than using central air conditioning, I have swamp (evaporative) cooler which really helps to cut down on costs. I also keep my blinds closed on extremely hot/cold days. I recycle newspapers but that's about it.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
This retiree is very thrifty. Lots of stuff gets recycled (the city makes it easy). Super markets are recycling paper and plastic bags, scrap places taking in bottles and cans.

Have enough clothes to last for a long time, so not much shopping there. Eat out regularly using coupons and early bird specials and senior discounts.

Use lots of fans to cool house until it gets unbearable.

Coupons are used for food and household items, Costco for bulk items used on a daily basis.

Use lots of stuff until the last drop or it's usefull life is gone.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:30 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
well i try to be thrifty. i buy things when they are on sale and i have a coupon for it--unless its a necessity.
with food, i do throw away a lot that just goes to waste cause we havent eaten it in time--but i try not to cause it makes me upset.
we do eat the ends off the bread etc. we are not allowed a clothes line--i wish-i love that feeling of sun dried clothes.
i also buy clothes on clearence--but new.
we do recycle because we must, but its already paid in our dues, so we cant really save on that by taking it ourselves.
as i become older i become more thrifty.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
We could be a little more 'thrifty'. The town, about 8 miles away, had a recycling center for glass and plastic at one time. Sadly, vandals and other 'scum' used the place to dump trash of all types and basically destroyed it over a period of time. Some of us would volunteer to watch the place and help w/the recycling. But, it is closed now. It is a 90 mile round trip to the next recycling center. Will not spend money on gas to toss a few plastic containers in there.

I use 'to the last drop' just about everything. S.S. only goes so far with the addition of any funds from real estate commissions. Which, at this time, are far and few between, due to the housing market around here being what it is. Yes, I'd say we are about as thrifty as we can be.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I recycle in a different way: freecycling. I give away to others useable items that are in good condition, from books, to housewares to clothes,etc.
I will always get the last few drops of shampoo, conditioner, lotion out of the bottles. When they get low, i flip them upside down. The same with mustard and mayo in the fridge.

When veggies are getting too ripe for me, i toss them in the blender and make soup. I do the same with fruit for smoothies. If i don't want to make soup or smoothies, i freeze them for later use.
Bananas never get icky now, they go in the freezer. Also brings out the sweetness in them so no need to buy ice cream. (peel them first)

As for clothes, I buy on clearance as a rule, also buy seconds that have a label offcenter a smidge, or a thread showing somewhere..that can be snipped. I pay $6 each for my jeans, blouses. Sometimes I get them for $1 on the clearance rack. (suzies deals)
I trade books with a local group, plus buy them for 25-50cents from thrift stores. Also use the library. It's amazing all the great books they have there now. I've caught up on Dean Koontz, Patricia Cornwell, Stephen King,etc.
I look at the half price sections in the stores, and the day old bread rack. Take it home and freeze it, thaw it in the toaster.
I will buy generics now and then, as long as it's something like freezer bags, or dry goods. Otherwise, i buy store brand, which is a step up.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I am thrify at the grocery store, mostly. I can usually save 15% -20% on my grocery bill using coupons and my club card.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
When veggies are getting too ripe for me, i toss them in the blender and make soup. I do the same with fruit for smoothies. If i don't want to make soup or smoothies, i freeze them for later use.
Bananas never get icky now, they go in the freezer. Also brings out the sweetness in them so no need to buy ice cream. (peel them first)

as far as bananas, if they get too ripe, i make banana bread or muffins.

i also use store club cards to gain points or coupons (cvs has awsome coupons)

i do use the last drop of personal care items, unfortunately stuff in the frdige will expire before i get to finish it. i get a little grossed out by the last of foods--i feel like they are "old"--and i just leave them until they are no good. then i feel bad when i throw them out. i need to use those up!!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:19 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
I'm very thrifty...I never pay full price for anything!
Before I buy something, I check on Craigslist, Ebay & Freecycle first, if I can't get it that way, I'll wait till it goes on clearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living