U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Being thrifty is a very good virtue in mine eyes.
I'm that way anymore. Didn't used to, especially in my college years. Back then I would spend money like I had terminal cancer. Then again, my favorite college class was bowling! If there was an imaginary class that would be my mantra, it would be Knucklehead 101!

My latest trick for being thrifty involves coffee. Several months ago my local news reported that a spike in coffee prices were coming up soon. I was ok on coffee at the house, but drove down to the store anyway as I was planning to go the next day. I was already too late as all coffee brands with one exception went to $11.99 across the board. The one exception was the store brand coffee. How nice of them!? Grr!

Ever since I reuse the coffee I didn't drink the day before and pour it back into the coffeemaker , sometimes two days before.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-27-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
I'm thrifty in some things and splurge on other things:

THRIFTY/FRUGAL -- reuse paper towels, plastic wrap, plastic Chinese food containers, sheets of writing paper, only put trash out when the bag is full, take small grocery store bags of trash to work and put it in the trash can there (cuts down on using my trash bags), only do laundry when I'm out of clean clothes to wear, shop at thrift stores/Walmart, etc., save all paper clips, rubberbands, will get free pens, etc from a bank or store.

I'll freeze in the winter and sweat in summer, and not turn my heat on until JANUARY if I can make it that far. USUALLY I can make it until Thanksgiving. I try not to turn on AC until July. My second floor is HOT like an oven. I'll even sleep on a sofa downstairs to stay cooler, vs turn on the AC

YET I SPLURGE: eating out (average twice a week), sushi, will spend 50 on dinner, 25 on lunch, I buy a lot of gifts for friends and family (mostly books and little things). MAYBE every couple of years I'll see a handbag or something I DON"T NEED and buy it regardless of price, but for me that still means about 100 bucks. (As opposed to friends who spend $300 on a wallet, $100 on flip flops, 1,000 on a hand bag). Got some of my furniture by free pick-ups in the neighborhood. Try to buy most things on sale or at least shop around for best regular price.

I don't worry about saving gas on driving tips and errands. I do not and will not recycle. I'm single no kids -- AND thrifty. My 'carbon footprint' and trash output is not so big that I'm even going to worry about it.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 PM

880 posts, read 1,661,859 times
Whoa - I'd say half and half. I thought I was thrifty but I guess I'm not too thrifty.

I've started going to thrift stores but they're not always cheaper than retail so I stick to both, depending on the prices. I try to finish my food all the time (which I should anyway) but if it's too hard to munch everything in, I'm not going to force myself. I recycle all the time because my family owns our building so we definitely want to avoid getting fined.

If there are very little drops of shampoo left, I'd take some water and shake the bottle until I get my full use of it. I reuse envelopes if they are reusable. I had a bottle of glue from the 3rd or 4th grade I used up until a year or 2 ago (I'm 19 now) - crazy. And then don't even get me started about pens and pencils. I have a whole bucket of them dating back to when I was in preschool. I try to use them up now. I save mailing boxes and bubble wraps (who doesn't) since I mail out things from time to time. Saves me a lot. My mom brings the shipping tape from work so don't really have to pay for anything :P
Oh yeah, this is a girl thing but when I have foundation left in the bottle, especially the ones I can't get out in the corners, I use a q-tip or tooth paste to pick it up.

And then there's scrap paper. As funny as it sounds, I use paper I get in the mail with unimportant information to print out coupons and such in the back.

However, things I'm not thrift on are eating, clubbing, going out and anything that pertains to having fun. Life is short -- why not make the best of out being happy? For me, eating well and living well is top priority - always has been. There's nothing like spending time with your friends and family and having fun.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm that way anymore. Didn't used to, especially in my college years. Back then I would spend money like I had terminal cancer. Then again, my favorite college class was bowling! If there was an imaginary class that would be my mantra, it would be Knucklehead 101!

My latest trick for being thrifty involves coffee. Several months ago my local news reported that a spike in coffee prices were coming up soon. I was ok on coffee at the house, but drove down to the store anyway as I was planning to go the next day. I was already too late as all coffee brands with one exception went to $11.99 across the board. The one exception was the store brand coffee. How nice of them!? Grr!

Ever since I reuse the coffee I didn't drink the day before and pour it back into the coffeemaker , sometimes two days before.

Oh, dear, ths reminds me of my mother. Back in the 70's, there was a shortage a week. She stocked up on everything that she couldn't bear to be without. Including coffee, sugar, and toilet paper

Well, see, we had this old willow tree in the back yard that would plug up the drains with a rain. Ok, it rained, water up to the4th basement step. floating away, all that sugar, coffee, TP, etc. What a mess!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,804,868 times
^^^Well.... that would happen if one has accidents like that.
I do not live in a flood zone nor will my basement likely flood (been through Irene & Lee, no electricity for week plus)... and where I store goods / extras... it is usually on the second floor of my 2 car garage.

DoubleH, kudos to you in saving the coffee... think every medium / large cup you recycle & save is a good $2 back in your pockets.

I save my old cold coffee to make my iced coffee anyways to consume later in the day... or even freeze it as ice cubes / in containers to serve as ice coffee cocktail mixes when the occasion arises.

I recycle my coffee grounds to my compost pile... never any waste.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
The older I get the more frugal I become.
When I was younger I never cared about keeping napkins that might be put in with my take-out orders.

Now, I make a point of keeping the napkins I didn't use right then. I figure they gave them to me, I paid for them, so I might as well keep them.

Quote:
If there are very little drops of shampoo left, I'd take some water and shake the bottle until I get my full use of it.
This is a good one. I do this with anything in a jar or bottle....sauces, salad dressing, shampoo, dish- and laundry detergent, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,235,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
However, things I'm not thrift on are eating, clubbing, going out and anything that pertains to having fun. Life is short -- why not make the best of out being happy? For me, eating well and living well is top priority - always has been. There's nothing like spending time with your friends and family and having fun.
Agreed.

Entertainment (dining out, travel, etc) is something we like to do, and we save in other areas so we can spend money on stuff like this that we enjoy.

At the end of the day - I live well within (and even below) my means and save more than I spend. But I certainly don't pinch every penny to death.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,383,683 times
I am the Thrift King.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
We use old coffee grounds for our house plants and have very healthy plants

I do the rinse-the-shampoo-bottle thing, too. Also, I found we use waaaaay too much laundry detergent. One night I ran out, so, ripped open the old box and got out about a scant teaspoonful of detergent, used that in a full load, clothes came out very clean! So now I use about 1/4 what they say to use, its also better for the machine and plumbing.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,542,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I remember on the show American Dad, Stan's in-laws actually reused the paper towels. They just hung them out to dry and kept reusing them.
I do this for certain jobs. Like cleaning, we use only water and vinegar for cleaning, so we re-use the paper towels for that job, when they get too ripped up, in the compost they go!

I do have a habit of spending on napkins though, but I found a print shop in this area (now out of business) that had a HUGE box of misprinted wedding napkins and I bought the whole box for like $30! That was 12yrs ago, and I have about 1/2 the box left, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Of course, sometimes you just have to spring for something that is purely want. Just not too often.
I agree, mine would be BPAL perfumes. But with the new scents, I usually buy them "used" from forum members, and make a body spray out of them. They are like 95% oils, so they last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
If there are very little drops of shampoo left, I'd take some water and shake the bottle until I get my full use of it.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I save my old cold coffee to make my iced coffee anyways to consume later in the day... or even freeze it as ice cubes / in containers to serve as ice coffee cocktail mixes when the occasion arises.

I recycle my coffee grounds to my compost pile... never any waste.
The iced cubed coffe sounds like a great idea! Now if we ever had ANY leftover coffee, I would try it! Hubby goes through 2 pots a day!

But it is GREAT for my compost heap, so I guess it works out in the end, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The older I get the more frugal I become.
When I was younger I never cared about keeping napkins that might be put in with my take-out orders.

Now, I make a point of keeping the napkins I didn't use right then. I figure they gave them to me, I paid for them, so I might as well keep them.
I do that too. I keep them in the truck, and in our bug out bags. Also the little seasoning packets (salt pepper, sauces, etc...) I save up, and use went I have enough to use them in a meal.

Other things we do, I never pay full price. Always use coupons or price match, all of our belongings in our home (save the electronics and mattresses) are either antiques or hand me downs, or re purchased from yard sales or thrift stores.

Grow our own veggies, and can and dehydrate them to eat later.

Try to reuse as many things as possible.

Compost anything possible that can be composted, veggies/fruits, coffee grounds, paper, bones, egg shells, meat, anything.

On weekends refuse to leave the house for anywhere we have to drive to, so we save money on gas. If we wanna go, we walk.

Buy almost rotten fruit to can for preserves (the close to rotten ones make the best tasting stuff anyway!) Saves a TON of money!

Buy all my clothes on 50% off days or $5 bag (all you can stuff) at the local thrift stores. Who knew you can get designer labels for that cheap?! I DID!

The only thing I do buy new (but still on sale, yet closer to retail price) are kicks. I refuse to buy bad athletic shoes. Did it before, and my feet still have not forgiven me yet, and that was 7yrs ago!

That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living