Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times

Advertisements

Just how thrifty/spendy are you? Do you recycle? Do you buy from thrift stores? Do you spend a lot on meals, entertainment? Do you throw away the last few sips of milk instead of maybe just drinking it up?
Me, I know it sounds 'too' thrifty but I scrape on everything. The ends of a loaf of bread. Almost all my clothes come from Ebay or thrift stores. Using a clothesline (if I had one!) over a dryer, especially in the summer. Teabags can be reused at least once, but I try (sometimes) to use it a 3rd time. I dont buy too many things that arent a 'necessity', though if theres a good deal on something I really need, will get it. The last few squirts of a shampoo or dish soap bottle, even if it means rinsing out the bottle to get that last half-ounce all the way to the last tiny piece of bar soap. Everything gets recycled but we take it to the recycling center ourselves and benefit a few extra bucks rather than let the city take it. Most of the time leftovers will go to work, and if we dont have any, well, sandwiches are good.
Anyway, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Not very thrifty. I don't want to necessarily get to the point that I squeeze a penny till it squeals, but at the same time, I think I do need to cultivate some thriftiness! ( When I work full-time, usually time has meant more to me than money so I take the time-saving, less thrifty route in many cases!)

Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
We'll take a truck load to the dump a few times a year. My husband reuses plastic bags to pick up after the dogs. I'll add water to get the last few drops out of a shampoo container and the like.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Oh, yeh, I'm a bit on the thrifty side. When the last sliver of soap is too small, I "stick" it to the next bar; I add water to the last dregs of shampoo and conditioner and dish detergent, clothes detergent and downy, too. We often have "clean the fridge" night. It's like a buffet, but we come up with some interesting combinations. If we want prime rib, we wait till it's on sale. But if it's something we really want or need, we get it.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
Being unemployed I've been trying to be thrifty myself. When I was working I almost always brown bagged my lunch. I now go to the dollar store for cleaning products, paper goods etc. If we go out to eat it's usually steak nite at the VFW, $9.50 for a dinner with the works. I have been going to the farmers market for my produce, much better tasting anyways. I'm always looking for ways to save.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Not at all and I need to be. I do recycle but only because my city makes it easy. I wouldn't be driving to the recycling center to drop stuff off if they didn't.

I really need to work on this if for no other reason it's good to have self discipline. And the world only has so much to go around.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
I am not thrifty at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Just how thrifty/spendy are you? Do you recycle? Do you buy from thrift stores? Do you spend a lot on meals, entertainment? Do you throw away the last few sips of milk instead of maybe just drinking it up?
Me, I know it sounds 'too' thrifty but I scrape on everything. The ends of a loaf of bread. Almost all my clothes come from Ebay or thrift stores. Using a clothesline (if I had one!) over a dryer, especially in the summer. Teabags can be reused at least once, but I try (sometimes) to use it a 3rd time. I dont buy too many things that arent a 'necessity', though if theres a good deal on something I really need, will get it. The last few squirts of a shampoo or dish soap bottle, even if it means rinsing out the bottle to get that last half-ounce all the way to the last tiny piece of bar soap. Everything gets recycled but we take it to the recycling center ourselves and benefit a few extra bucks rather than let the city take it. Most of the time leftovers will go to work, and if we dont have any, well, sandwiches are good.
Anyway, just curious.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I'm so thrifty, I even eat Thrifty ice cream!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I am in the high income bracket, but that doesn't mean that I can mismanage my finances. The Lord tells us that we have be good stewards of everything he blesses us with, so yes I am not ashamed to admit that I am thrifty when it comes to many things, and there's nothing wrong with it. One example is bleach, why buy the name brand, when you can get the store's own brand for about 20 cents less. Over a year, 20 cents per item could add up to a lot money.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Oh, I hang my clothes "out" (in the garage - can't put up an outside clothesline in our community) too. We do recycle as required. And I'm waiting to buy a pair of sandals tomorrow or the next day because that's "Senior Day" at Beall's and I'll get 15% more off their price! Hey, it all adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living