U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,895,272 times

Advertisements

Goodwill and St. Vinny's are wonderful for lots of things. Our daughter is moving into an apartment with her sig-other in another week, and they've been shopping at GW and St.V for a month now. They've got four place settings of Corelle ware for about $8 - granted, not all the same pattern, but all Corelle ware. Got one of those heavy-weight dark spatter-ware roasters with lid, hardly used, for $3. Potato masher for 50 cents. Casserole dish for $1. Pair of brand-new oven mitts for $1. Set of coasters for 25 cents.

Furniture at our local thrift stores isn't generally that much of a bargain. Don't know if it's because we've got lots of college students trying to furnish apartments on the cheap or what, but you can buy new for not much more than the "thrifty" stuff.

Clothing is a mixed bag; you really have to be willing to take the time to dig. We've found some good stuff, but it takes hunting. Still a darn sight better than paying top dollar, of course, and I'd much rather see my money go to Goodwill than to further enrich the Walton family, so we take the time and pick it over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,016,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
My kids don't have any clothing that didn't come from a thrift, aside from boots and shoes their grandparents bought since they wanted specific brands (pricey stuff)...and stuff my teenager buys for himself with his own money.
The Goodwill in our area doesn't take shoes for health reasons (and seeing the ones donated and tossed into the discard bin, I can see why. Dang, people, do you expect other people to wear some of the skanky stuff that should have been trashed? ).

Wearing thrift store clothes is no big deal to me, but shoes I wonder about. I have to start out with new shoes so I can wear them down to fit my particular gait and adapt to my wonky back issues. Is that not a concern in buying them from thrift places?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 17 days ago)

14,431 posts, read 16,738,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
The Goodwill in our area doesn't take shoes for health reasons (and seeing the ones donated and tossed into the discard bin, I can see why. Dang, people, do you expect other people to wear some of the skanky stuff that should have been trashed? ).

Wearing thrift store clothes is no big deal to me, but shoes I wonder about. I have to start out with new shoes so I can wear them down to fit my particular gait and adapt to my wonky back issues. Is that not a concern in buying them from thrift places?
Except for sandals, which I destroy several pairs of each summer, I get most of my footwear from thrift stores. You have to be picky. I like boots, do not actually OWN any real "shoes" and find a lot of nice virturally unworn boots that someone bought and never used. I've also discovered that I can buy what I can't there online for a really good deal. I like walking into shoe stores and checking out the boots, but no way are you going to get me to spend 200 dollars on a pair of boots.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 AM

540 posts, read 1,176,503 times
Go to a thrift store in the fancy shmancy part of town. I have found designer label men's shirts for $1.00.

I have a son who loves to tie-dye, and long sleeve 100% cotton shirts for a buck, give me a thrill

Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,362,362 times
i took my girls into a goodwill the other week...you would have thought we walked into the white house..lol they thought that was the coolest thing..its fun too. Kinda like a scavenger hunt.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,169,755 times
goodwill in Phoenix is all over the place. I should check out those places

Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 PM

821 posts, read 1,762,686 times
I'm addicted to buying skirts at Goodwill
and each week they have 2 colors listed on a sign and any tags with those colors around them are half price
which makes them extra special buys

Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM

253 posts, read 687,818 times
Default second hand shopper here to!

Ive always been a avid second hand shopper, about all we buy new clothing wise now is shoes, underclothes and socks, and shoes ive gotten namebrand lightly used ones second hand for a buck or two, so new is rare for us now to.
becarefull thou, in todays economy, alot of new second hand stores out there that are not cheap, people assume they are since its used, and they dont shop around to compare, and walk out payen same price as new at store.
im in Knox area, and there is a new one i say on merchants dr, called Karms, i walked in, right by door, i say old scarves, i mean old style, for 2.50 each...no way, then i saw purses, bery worn and used, for 12 bucks...no way, then i gave it one more shot, i saw a pretty sweater, it was 8 bucks!!!! it was black and had few tiny holes, snags, and frayed on edges, not so bad that id still wear it, but i woudnt buy it for 8 when walmart had it for 12 new.
so compare prices.
who shops habitat stores??? the one here in maryville is my fav...all clothes upstairs are a buck, shoes to!!!! most here have ditched the goodwill cuz of rise in prices and now shop at habitat, me included. ive always been a goodwill/salvation army store, but not so much now.
anyone in the south knows about sweat stains.....lol, but down here you also add in clothes of about 3o yrs ago,(out of style) yet goodwill especially in east tn is good for marking these items up more then other stuff, its crazy!!! and each goodwill ive been to in east tn from oak ridge to maryville plays "guess the price" game, meaning, rack says one thing...cashier says another, most dont pay attention, i do, ive had to question prices alot when being rung up. and most stuff now is marked upto few bucks under new, and includes stains....needless to say, if i shop there now, i buy only half price tags, and save my dollars for habitat, i rack up the deals there!!!! nice stuff to, latest styles, my teen daughter has come out like a bandit there, gets lots of good stuff. so check it out...and dont forget...comparioison shop bfore your buy!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 AM

604 posts, read 4,252,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
Go to a thrift store in the fancy shmancy part of town. I have found designer label men's shirts for $1.00.

I have a son who loves to tie-dye, and long sleeve 100% cotton shirts for a buck, give me a thrill

love that idea for tie dye!
GW my 7yr olds fav place to go with grandma! go on your local forum to find the best places to go!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM

77 posts, read 209,771 times
I love Goodwill for vintage items. I have not found "dressier" items worth my time. MY dress clothes stay dry cleaned and I doubt the clothes donated to GW receive the same treatment.

Yesterday i bought a golf club, and will most likely return for an entire set. I am not a golfer, but think whacking some balls will be nice. I saw a portable closet for $6 that i paid $24 for at lowes for, but it was gone when i decided i wanted a second one.

Overall GW is the best when it comes to picking up vintage blazers. I do not even know where i can get such "gaudy" patterns at my fancy shops, and even if they did stock them i couldn't bare paying a couple hundred for a one and done fashion item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living