U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM

16,542 posts, read 20,110,113 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought any new clothes or shoes in 30 years, and I dress up daily like I'm making $100k a year. Between Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Flea Markets, Garage and church sales (I go to the church sales in the ritzier areas of town and oftentimes have found clothing still in the wrapper, never used) I have lots of clothes, lots of used CD's, Dvd's, VHS tapes. All depends on your priorities in life.

I love to travel, and all savings go into trip funds and I'm one of the best-dressed of all travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 AM

812 posts, read 2,082,731 times
i bought an amazing, beautiful huge wardrobe at salvation army before on half-off day a few years ago. I mean the clothes were absolutely beautiful and things you would expect at couture or department stores, barely worn or new. they were all in fashion, as a matter of fact, i saw the same fashions in the department stores but i got ralph lauren, liz claiborne, dkny, hilfiger etc and some other very specialty or high design labels i can't remember. i got everything you could want from jeans, pants, shirts, t-shirts, formal shirts, dresses, skirts, jackets, sweaters, lingerie, some shoes etc. they were so pretty too. and the kids clothes, omg. if you had kids, what a deal. it was like shopping at macy's for pennies per clothing item. and if you were having a baby, omg, such cute precious clothes for dirt cheap and baby accessories. go to any department store and the infant clothes were name brands that would cost twenty dollars on up a piece! at thrift store practically brand new for pennies a piece!!

beautiful clothes, no one would know they were from a thrift store. i ended up giving most of it away as i realized i didn't wear the clothes as i thought i would. i actually had so much clothes i couldn't wear them all but i had a wardrobe that would have cost me thousands of dollars for the first time in my life and it was a nice feeling to experience. my friends were amazed at my wardrobe always wanting to borrow my clothes.

but recently, i noticed very few of those types of clothes whereas the thrift stores used to be overflowing with them because of economy and more people being thrifty and spending less. i don't really bother now.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

325 posts, read 1,008,968 times
I have shopped at thrift stores for years (long before it was fashionable) .
I find it hard to shop at a "regular" store anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living