Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,122 times

Advertisements

I got THE cutest coat for my 9 year old there yesterday! You can't see it well in this picture, but it's soooo cute. Brown corduroy peacoat w/ pretty flowered sleeves (on the inside). She is LOVING it. $3.75!!!!!!! I would have had to pay $25 in the store. And I got an almost new LimitedToo jean skirt for her for $1.50!!! ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/nrkelly/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMuanBn-1.jpg (broken link)

I had been seeing people coming in and out since moved here and w/ nice stuff, so I decided to go in yesterday and look around. Bought $27 worth of clothes for the girls. 2 skirts, the peacoat, 2 sweaters, 4 turtlenecks, 4 long sleeve shirts. all in such nice condition!!! they had new stuff w/ the tags still on even. I lucked out. I'll be going back. And my son wants to go. I told him about the 2 teenage boys where were there shopping for jeans and how excited they were b/c they were so cheap.

At the goodwill in El Paso (where we moved from) they had the WORST stuff. It was horrible. dirty, torn stuff. People used it as a dumping grounds I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Welcome to the world of "smart shopping". It's especially great if you can find kid's clothing because they grow out of them so fast.

I love thrift stores. I buy all my jeans there.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,438 times
The Salvation Army in my City has 50% off everything on Wed's and I found great jeans for my 3 year old there. 5 pairs of jeans for $5.00 and change.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
lots of the well off shop at thrift stores. that is why they have no debt.
you are light years ahead of the game.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 PM

702 posts, read 2,294,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
At the goodwill in El Paso (where we moved from) they had the WORST stuff. It was horrible. dirty, torn stuff. People used it as a dumping grounds I guess.
I'm in Las Cruces, 45 miles from El Paso, so I know what you mean. I do all my clothes shopping (except socks/underwear) at the thrift stores (Goodwill and S. Army) and there is some real crap there. Still, despite what should be turned into car-waxing rags, I do find some great items and always for $2 or $3. I go on the half price days for better bargains, and often find good-quality clothing items for 50 cents each.

In recent months, all the thrift stores seem to have raised their prices - I'm talking like a dollar more in price. For some of the junk I see, it kind of defeats the purpose of a thrift store. Sometimes it's more like a garbage bin. But I persist.

When I used to live in Oregon, the thrift stores had premium stuff for fair prices. A lot different than here in New Mexico.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,350 times
I have all the clothes I want or need so if I still want to look, I go to thrift stores. I swear that I have been given more compliments on clothes I've bought at thrift stores than at regular department stores. Some clothing bought at thrift stores have never been worn and bear the original price tag.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
I have many big named tags on most of the clothes I get from Thrift Stores. I didn't even realize it until I got home.

I like going to Thrift stores when I have extra spare time so I have time to really look.

I have saved major $$ shopping this way.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
I made a living out of thrifts and yard and estate sales for a long time, buying really high end designer stuff or awesome vintage clothing and re-selling it for profit.

My kids don't have any clothing that didn't come from a thrift, aside from boots and shoes their grandparents bought since they wanted specific brands (pricey stuff)...and stuff my teenager buys for himself with his own money.

It's especially life saving for me, since I have a weakness when it comes to little girl's clothes for the 5 year old (having 2 boys before her and never thinking I'd have a girl to shop for)... she has a huge wardrobe, which would be embarrassingly over budget had it not all come from thrifts. She has enough stuff to go 2 weeks without wearing the same thing twice, and if she gets paint on a dress at school or something it's no biggie as most likely it was under $3.00!

I also like the thrifts for kitchen items. My last 2 espresso machines were from Goodwill, and both were new, never used, obviously someone's unwanted Christmas gift. Both under $10 and worth at least 4 times that. I recently bought a never used food processor and a European brand toaster (it's really awesome and retro looking)... and last year I completely "furnished" my front porch with expensive wicker and the like, for a mere fraction of the cost elsewhere. Oh yeah, I also got a vintage styled beadboard bathroom wall cabinet that I'd been wanting forever, for $7 at GW.

I stay out of there when I'm broke, it's a weakness.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:32 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I'm in Las Cruces, 45 miles from El Paso, so I know what you mean. I do all my clothes shopping (except socks/underwear) at the thrift stores (Goodwill and S. Army) and there is some real crap there.
I don't know if you have kids to shop for, but there's a GREAT kid's resale shop on Dyer by Albertson's if you ever have time. I bought and sold so much through there, and they ALWAYS have tons of brand names - gap, gymbo, ralph, old navy, Hannah, etc. I can't remember the name of it though.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,574,590 times
I have been shopping thrift stores for years! I LOVE them! I make good enough money that I could go to the mall and buy anything I want but ...why? You wash something one time it shrinks and don't fit.. I prefer to get my jeans already washed and shrunk. I have lost a lot of weight and had to get winter clothes that fit me now and I have a closet full that I bought. Some from Goodwill, some from the Salvation Army, some at the Fellowship center and a higher end used store called the Purple Cow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living