U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are you on this grocery-shopping scale?
10--I buy the best of whatever I feel like, and I don;t even look at the price. 6 5.00%
9 6 5.00%
8 7 5.83%
7 15 12.50%
6 18 15.00%
5 28 23.33%
4 14 11.67%
3 16 13.33%
2 6 5.00%
1-- I dumpster-dive, use food pantries, and stock up from the reduced bin. 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times

Advertisements

i am so tight people keep comin up to me to compliment me on my antique car acquisition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,614,532 times
Not frugal at all.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,551,371 times
I am cheap and proud of it. We do eat really well though. I just watch the sales and specials. When there is a good deal I load up the car.

I don't care how much money you have, it's awesome to find a deal.

I am probably a 4 and my husband is a 10. He's not allowed to go grocery shopping, lol.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,495,903 times
Here's the thing; I consider myself pretty frugal, but I spend a lot at the farmer's market. All of my beef, chicken, pork, lamb and eggs are raised on farms, on pasture, and I know the first names of the farmers that sell them to me. Pretty much the same for vegetables; I buy locally and I buy what's in season whenever possible. Unfortunately, that is more expensive than most grocery stores - but on the other hand, I can get 3 meals out of a whole chicken, and it's just worth it to me to live this way. I don't worry about hormones or antibiotics because my farmers don't use them. I don't worry as much about e.coli contamination because my beef wasn't fattened on corn at a CAFO. I know my pork didn't come from a site with an open waste lagoon. The chickens I buy aren't de-beaked and living in battery cages. But best of all, the taste and texture alone are just so much better than their commercial counterparts that I consider it a bargain.

I always try to have at least one vegetarian meal a week, and it usually ends up being at least 2 - because meat is by far my largest expense.

I pick up staples in bulk or at Aldi, I avoid processed food, I drink water from the tap.

So you tell me; what's my score? 5?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 AM

3,653 posts, read 7,281,714 times
When I was younger I was very frugal. I could stretch a dollar so far, my friends couldn't believe all the bargains I found. Nowadays not so much. I still like to find a bargain and I will use the in store coupons for buy one get one, but I still buy what I want.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 AM

5,683 posts, read 8,896,713 times
I'm in the same boat as arsbadmojo: we shop frugally in some respects, but buying locally produced, in-season food is a priority for us, and that is not an inexpensive proposition. We pay more for the meat, eggs, fruit and vegetables that we eat than we would buying them at a warehouse store, but that is a very conscious choice on our part, because we consider the payoff in terms of better tasting and healthier food to be worth the cost.

That said, as I watch the list of layoffs at my employer grow, sales shrink and belts tighten, I have to wonder if we'll wind up having to go back to choosing the cheapest food option no matter what it is or where it's found. I'm hoping hard that we won't reach that point, but candidly I have to admit there's a very real possibility we could. I know how to live at a Level 1 on the poll above, but I'd rather not have to again.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:11 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,495,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
That said, as I watch the list of layoffs at my employer grow, sales shrink and belts tighten, I have to wonder if we'll wind up having to go back to choosing the cheapest food option no matter what it is or where it's found. I'm hoping hard that we won't reach that point, but candidly I have to admit there's a very real possibility we could. I know how to live at a Level 1 on the poll above, but I'd rather not have to again.
Good point; we haven't always been into the fresh, local, farmer's way of eating - in fact this is really our first year doing it. It's been a big change, and our budget has taken a beating. I'm counting on an end of year bonus to pay for a lot of it. If I were to get laid off, I think the first thing we'd do is go vegetarian. Fortunately my interest in cooking has exploded this year as I've been challenged to make menus that are based on what's in season, on less expensive cuts of meat - and I'd still get as many fresh vegetables as I could at the farmer's market, but I'd only get things that I knew I was going to use. I could live level 1-2 if I had to.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,255,585 times
I wouldn't say we're completely frugal, but I also go by the mindset "you get what you pay for" (a falicy or not). I will buy Coke, but not the store-generic brand. Then, I may by the generic brand of bacon (I find the HEB's "Hill Country" maple bacon to be the best maple bacon available to me in the town).

We cut coupons and use them. It may only be $5-$7 dollars a week (in a normal food budget of just over $100 per week for a family of 6), but it adds up.

When it comes to some things, specific items, there's those that I find I prefer and will buy that brand almost exclusive of cost (toilet paper, soft drinks, milk, etc). Other things, I will get at a reasonable price (paper towlels, napkins, cleaning supplies).

Because of this.. I rated myself a "6."

Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 AM

161 posts, read 488,930 times
there are certain things that i need that i do not price - eggs, milk, bread...but other things are subjected to a glance. i stopped buying chicken breasts at the grocery recently because they were getting to be $6 per pound. the butcher is much more reasonable. i spend way too much on groceries in general but i dont know how to cut back. food is love in my house.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 AM

5,402 posts, read 5,235,721 times
This is a great subject. I watch every cent and have never scrimped on what we are eating. I keep a journal with all of my monthly food receipts, and average $65.00 a week for the 2 of us. This includes cleaning products etc., I do 1-2 loads of laundry a day I write the date on the container when I open them up, I opened up my All detergent Nov. 17, 2007 and still have it left. My husband and I are very conscious shoppers, checking unit prices, etc. This being said, tomorrow I will go to Super Wal-Mart and buy our grocery items, condiments. I buy our bulk items, ( paper towels etc.) at Sam's Club. Fresh Market is having their grand opening next Wednesday where I will be able to get the fish, meat and produce that does not have preservatives. We will cut back on many other things but not food and can manage our budget very well. We are fortunate because all of the stores are within a 3 mi. radius from our home and each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living