U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are you on this grocery-shopping scale?
10--I buy the best of whatever I feel like, and I don;t even look at the price. 6 5.00%
9 6 5.00%
8 7 5.83%
7 15 12.50%
6 18 15.00%
5 28 23.33%
4 14 11.67%
3 16 13.33%
2 6 5.00%
1-- I dumpster-dive, use food pantries, and stock up from the reduced bin. 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,055,264 times

Advertisements

Squeak, squeak, squeak because I have to. But there is victory in knowing you put together a meal for so little I think. Just tonight I fed 4 of us chicken & noodles, mashed potatoes, green beans and apple cobbler for dessert. Had the bag of thighs given to me, used 2 eggs, some flour a tiny bit of milk to make the noodles, green beans were canned out of my garden seasoned with saved bacon grease, apples were from my trees so a little brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and cake mix I bought on sale for .49 topped it off. Plenty of seconds with leftovers in the fridge~~~~the man asked his wife why she didn't cook this good and got a dirty look back from her. They even called when they got home to tell me thanks again for the fine meal and next time they will buy all the ingredients if I would cook a another meal for them. Oh I forgot the cheeseball and crackers we had for appetizers!

What I don't grow and can I buy canned veggies at Aldis and staples, eggs from an local Amish family, meat from my local butcher. I probably won't ever give up my local butcher and I do pay a bit more than a major grocery but I know it is safe and from local farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:54 AM

13,460 posts, read 14,448,359 times
I make using coupons in conjunction with sales a serious game at the grocery store and stock up to the point I can wait for the next sale. Plus I put it all on a credit card that rebates me 2%.

Recently got a bunch of beef tenderloin for 3.99/lb and fed a bunch of people.

With just about everything else, I wait for sales, use the internet to comparison shop, etc.

Last edited by doc1; 10-24-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
I do dumpster dive, but do not go to a food pantry - yet. I always like to shop out of the bins of marked down items at the grocery store and am quick to load up on anything on sale. I have found that Kroger tends to mark down unpopular wines and these always find a home at my place. If it doesn't taste good, there are so many ways to doctor it up a bit and still makes me feel regal that I can have wine with dinner or a mimosa with breakfast. It doesn't take much to make me feel better off than I am.

I am no stranger to Christian stores that offer food boxes or outdated canned goods. Similarly, I am not against offering my time as a volunteer to help out at such places when I can. I have been known to collect the things left over at the food banks that nobody wants. Usually bags of beans. I think the reason people shy away from beans is the soaking part. It just takes so much time to prepare them. Too few people know how to can their foods and I think that's half the problem.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,541,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I make using coupons in conjunction with sales a serious game at the grocery store and stock up to the point I can wait for the next sale. Plus I put it all on a credit card that rebates me 2%.

Recently got a bunch of beef tenderloin for 3.99/lb and fed a bunch of people.

With just about everything else, I wait for sales, use the internet to comparison shop, etc.
You lucky !%@*&.

Send me some next time!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,155,849 times
I'm frugal but like the others I will only comprimise so much.

No store brand soda.
Store brand paper towels but name brand toilet paper.

I wish we had a farmer's market close, I love those.

I'm lucky I have 4 of the major groceries within a 5 mile radius, so it's easy for me to make a big circle picking up the sale items along the way. I always use Walmart for the basics tho.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,541,365 times
I shop at bargain bin/dented can/grocery salvage stores for staples. I save a lot of money that way. 10lb of arborio rice for $5, $3 a jar for restaurant lobster base/sauce espagnole. Then I'll splurge on veggies and seafood (always cheap and good- I shop at ethnic supermarkets where everything fresh is about 1/3 the price of a normal grocery).

I buy a lot of specialty items, so I offset that cost with paying next to nothing on staples. Combine the two, and you can have some delicious meals. Eating ethnic is great too. Mexican, thai, vietnamese, indian, pakistani...most "exotic" food is meant for maximum nutritional value at minimum cost. Once I learned to make just about all chinese take out, authentic taqueria grub, and japanese food at home..I realized just how much restaurants marked up their prices. I've been on a comfort food kick recently (noodle casseroles and meatloaf..it's that time of year), but before that it was miso soup, steamed dumplings, lo mein, and rava dosa all the time. Great way to entertain too.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM

8,531 posts, read 6,664,634 times
I'm pretty frugal, but I'd rather go without than buy stuff that is noticeably inferior. WinCo just started carrying HyTop brand which is cheaper than anything else in the store. I usually buy that brand, but the raisins I bought are gritty like they have sand or seeds in them. I'd rather pay 50 cents more for Sun Maid than save that money and eat gritty raisins. If perchance I didn't have an extra 50 cents, I just wouldn't buy raisins.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
i wash out freezer bags and reuse them. pathetic i know but if you knew how far i have come you would not laugh at how far behind i am.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,269,037 times
I would put myself in the middle. I watch the sales, buy most of my meat that way. buy in bulk, use the vacuum sealer etc. I shop at Aldi for a lot of the canned goods, also stock up on them. I cook a lot from scratch, which really saves the money. We only eat Beef tenderloin, so we are spoiled, but I buy it on sale, and cut it into steaks myself. I use coupons when I can and recently attended a couponing program put on by a woman who gets tons of food for only a few bucks. her name is Jill Cataldo, Supercouponing.com It was a very informative program.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,055,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i wash out freezer bags and reuse them. pathetic i know but if you knew how far i have come you would not laugh at how far behind i am.

I won't re-use them if I have had meat in them but I do for dry goods, cookies, crackers etc. I even take the waxed bags out of cereal boxes wash them and cut into squares. We then use them to cover foods in the microwave instead of using paper towels or buying waxed paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living