U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are you on this grocery-shopping scale?
10--I buy the best of whatever I feel like, and I don;t even look at the price. 6 5.00%
9 6 5.00%
8 7 5.83%
7 15 12.50%
6 18 15.00%
5 28 23.33%
4 14 11.67%
3 16 13.33%
2 6 5.00%
1-- I dumpster-dive, use food pantries, and stock up from the reduced bin. 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,007,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I saved all my Costco receipts -- in state and out state and even foreign country, i.e. Canada.

When Costco put on sale of certain items as listed in the coupon book, I checked with my old receipt and found which item that I have bought at regular price but is now on sale. Then I go buy the item on sale and return it with the old receipt at regular price.

Costco actually does not have a time limit that doesn't allow you to return merchandise except electronics (6 months) and perishable food and tobacco. So you can return goods that you bought one or two or even three years ago.
I don't see that as being frugal, I see that as stealing from the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 PM

1,024 posts, read 410,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I don't see that as being frugal, I see that as stealing from the store.
Those are brand new merchandise that have never been used for return and Costco does not set a clear cut return policy. How can that be termed as a "steal"?

That is a loophole. Only those money-smart know about such loophole.

Once I saw a lady returning a suitcase that is totally worn without a receipt. Costco still returned money to her. I would say that is a "steal".

Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 PM

10,737 posts, read 19,101,270 times
It's stealing because you specifically stated you buy another item to be able to return it, it MIGHT be diff. if you still had the item YOU PURCHASED at the higher price.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's stealing because you specifically stated you buy another item to be able to return it, it MIGHT be diff. if you still had the item YOU PURCHASED at the higher price.
But that is what I exactly told the Costco guy when I returned the merchandise. I told him I returned it because it is on sale. If he thinks it is a "steal", he would not accept my return.

So that is a loophole instead of a steal. Steal is defined as "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it." Did I take the merchandise without paying for it?

This is an act of frugality -- much wiser than most options proposed here like cut down on food which hurts one's health.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 PM

1,193 posts, read 635,723 times
I bought dinner for the week which came up to $11.47

Old 09-20-2016, 02:27 AM

3,013 posts, read 1,820,790 times
Quote:
Those are brand new merchandise that have never been used for return and Costco does not set a clear cut return policy. How can that be termed as a "steal"?

That is a loophole. Only those money-smart know about such loophole.

Once I saw a lady returning a suitcase that is totally worn without a receipt. Costco still returned money to her. I would say that is a "steal".
Oh, that's a "steal" alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I bought dinner for the week which came up to $11.47
That is wonderful!! Care to elaborate?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,007,662 times
[quote=Ian_Lee;45541905]But that is what I exactly told the Costco guy when I returned the merchandise. I told him I returned it because it is on sale. If he thinks it is a "steal", he would not accept my return.

So that is a loophole instead of a steal. Steal is defined as "take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it." Did I take the merchandise without paying for it?

This is an act of frugality -- much wiser than most options proposed here like cut down on food which hurts one's health.[/QUOTE

Quit trying to justify it, if you didn't think it was underhanded then you wouldn't be saving and switching receipts. What you're doing ends up costing all of us.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 635,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Oh, that's a "steal" alright.

That is wonderful!! Care to elaborate?
Went to a bakery to buy some rolls, meatballs and chicken that came up to $11.47

Old 09-20-2016, 02:05 PM

[quote=ccc123;45549531]
Quote:
But that is what I exactly told the Costco guy when I returned the merchandise. I told him I returned it because it is on sale. If he thinks it is a "steal", he would not accept my return.

This is an act of frugality -- much wiser than most options proposed here like cut down on food which hurts one's health.[/QUOTE

Quit trying to justify it, if you didn't think it was underhanded then you wouldn't be saving and switching receipts. What you're doing ends up costing all of us.
Though now it is off topic, this will be my last answer to the question of "steal".

You can only steal something that you don't legally possess. I legally possess it and I legally return it. And the merchandise I returned is new and intact. So how can that be termed as a "steal"?

Those members who really cost all of us are those who return items which boxes have been opened or even been used. You think Costco can resell those merchandise? That really takes money out of our wallets.

And by the way, there are many credit cards that rebates 5% of warehouse purchase including Costco while Costco Visa just rebates 2% and cash/check 0%.

If you spend $3,000 a year in Costco, that will give you extra saving of $90 or $150. That is an act of frugality -- nobody mentions it but instead talking of how $10 can feed one for a week.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM

10,737 posts, read 19,101,270 times
Then we'll call it was it is: unethical....... feel better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living