U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:17 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times

Advertisements

68 when we are at home, 61 at night when everybody is asleep. I have tried the same temp all the time and turning it back. I found it was MUCH better to turn it down when we were not home or asleep than it was a constant temp 24/7. I think the biggest difference can be seen the further North you go. At 68 there are days it is still 80, 90, or 100+ degrees warmer in the house than the outside air temp. When the thermostat changes from the 61 setting to the 68 setting, the furnace only runs about 15 or 20 minutes to heat the house back up. That is literally small change usage of Natural Gas. 125,000 BTU/hour furnace running 20 minutes puts out 41,667 BTU's of heat. Each Therm of Natural Gas contains 100,000 BTU's of heat, so I am using .41667 of a therm of Natural Gas at a cost of $1.56 a therm. So it costs me about 65 cents to heat the house up compared to it taking a couple of hours to cool from 68 to the 61 setting and the furnace not firing once in that time frame. It adds up over the course of a winter.

Last year we were in a different house that had fuel oil heat. It is one I had been in for 6 winters prior and had all the records for fuel usage. 4 other years I too thought it was better to keep it a constant temp. and not change it. Last year I made a bigger change in the difference in temp from daytime to nighttime and despite higher fuel costs per gallon, I paid $600 less on the fuel bill. And used a couple hundred gallons less than the years I didn't change it at all. The heating degree days were about the same for the seasons as well. The year before I cut the temp by a smaller margin and between the smaller margin and the larger margin it was a 50+ gallons difference in usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,111,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
whew, 64 huh... I keep it anywhere from 66 to 68 and do not dress in shorts and a tee shirt...
I gotta get tougher....I'll try 65 for a few days...see how that works...

thanks
I was wondering today if the humidity matters inside... Because in AZ any temperature feels way lower than it sounds except during the monsoons when the humidity goes up. Could it be the same at home? Maybe that's why we're so mortified looking at each other's temps! I know I'm quite the exception even in AZ, though.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 AM

5,199 posts, read 11,343,400 times
I keep my thermostat at 55 degrees during the day and off at night if I think it's cold enough outside for the heat to come on. I can't stand sleeping with a heater going. If I get too cool when I'm at the computer or watching TV, I'll turn on a small electric heater for warmth.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I was wondering today if the humidity matters inside... Because in AZ any temperature feels way lower than it sounds except during the monsoons when the humidity goes up. Could it be the same at home? Maybe that's why we're so mortified looking at each other's temps! I know I'm quite the exception even in AZ, though.
I think your onto something....

Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,245,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
68 degrees all the time...
That's what we do... all through the winter. Of course, I live in a desert climate area, so it's still high 70's low 80's in the day... so for now we put it to 73.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,279,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
That's what we do... all through the winter. Of course, I live in a desert climate area, so it's still high 70's low 80's in the day... so for now we put it to 73.
yeah, see that is the difference...right now, while it's still pretty mild, lows around 38 high today on 49...I can get away with keeping the thermostate at around 67 68...but when it is really bitter cold, damp, windy, it sometimes isn't warm enough...but I do know a body can get used to the cold by keeping the temps down and thowing on warm socks, slippers, sweat shirts and pants...

how low does it get for you at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living