U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Vermont
5,439 posts, read 14,324,626 times
Reputation: 2609

Advertisements

How about digital television over the air? We get maybe 15 channels this way.... and it's free.

In all fairness, we do have Netflix (1 at atime) and a digital Tivo with lifetime Tivo subscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
If you're spending too much on pay television, consider firing your monopoly cable or satellite provider and joining the 1% of Americans who watch all of their TV on Internet connections.

So what do you do after you get rid of cable or satellite? Here are some alternatives:

YouTube has launched feature-length programming, plus there's always Joost and Hulu. An estimated 20% of cable programming is now available through the computer.

Firing your cable or satellite provider can save you more than $1,000 annually.

Two friends of mine DITCHED cable television and they'll never go back.

Don't go cold turkey, but see if you can ease your way into it. Also, the lowest level membership in Netflix allows you to get the Roku box and have a huge library of content on-demand.
Or you could improve the quality of your life immeasureably by just NOT WATCHING TELEVISION AT ALL!!!!!

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Reputation: 16420
I switched to Dish from cable for tv. For 70 dollars I was getting 77 analog channels and no on demand or pay per view or dvr. I have the package deal price now, but for 20 dollars I'll go for it, and even when its 40 its not bad.

Unforutnately, since there are NO other internet provider but the cable company I'm stuck with them. I'm considering paying a bit more to Sprint for a connect card instead. I can see the tower from my porch so I'd get a good signel. I'm just sick of the way the cable slows to nothing as soon as everyone gets home from work every night.

I would watch tv on my computer but the laptop with the nice clear hd screen went out the window before I moved out of california. Thiis one is older and much less clear. I'd rather watch tv on my small if not fancy hd tv.

Here you don't get much with an antenna. Maybe three channels if your lucky and there is no storm. I'm not sure what kind of difference the new digital boxes will make, but since I don't spend money on going out to dinner and movies and such, I figure what I spend on watching tv is fair. And the cable channels like history, discovery, and such often do NOT put their shows on the internet and that is what I have tv for. And I think the local channels and their weather updates with storms are important to have.

If I had to I could do without tv. But the internet... naw....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 AM
 
309 posts, read 748,411 times
Reputation: 130
hockey keeps me from saying no to dirct t.v.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
 
10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
Reputation: 9849
Kind of a mis-leading title, I could post something saying "how to save $12,000/year" and the solution is to live in a box down by the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
 
1,788 posts, read 4,147,366 times
Reputation: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Or you could improve the quality of your life immeasureably by just NOT WATCHING TELEVISION AT ALL!!!!!

20yrsinBranson
Your personal opinion only; television is not the debbil. That's like saying you could improve the quality of your life immeasurably by not reading books.

Television is cheap entertainment for me. I don't watch hours a day, but I do turn it on while I'm cooking dinner, and I have two or three shows a week that I tend to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Itz
 
714 posts, read 1,858,836 times
Reputation: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Your personal opinion only; television is not the debbil. That's like saying you could improve the quality of your life immeasurably by not reading books.

Television is cheap entertainment for me. I don't watch hours a day, but I do turn it on while I'm cooking dinner, and I have two or three shows a week that I tend to watch.
i'm the same way.. cheap once in a while entertainment.. basic cable. But there are TONS of people out there that act like they would die without it. I knew a family that was spending 160$ a month on tv... and borrowing peter to pay paul... broke broke broke.. when i suggested they cut down their cable.. the look was shock in the "What would we do then.."

no joke... you get that response from people... "What would we do..?"

ROFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
If you're spending too much on pay television, consider firing your monopoly cable or satellite provider and joining the 1% of Americans who watch all of their TV on Internet connections.

So what do you do after you get rid of cable or satellite? Here are some alternatives:

YouTube has launched feature-length programming, plus there's always Joost and Hulu. An estimated 20% of cable programming is now available through the computer.

Firing your cable or satellite provider can save you more than $1,000 annually.

Two friends of mine DITCHED cable television and they'll never go back.

Don't go cold turkey, but see if you can ease your way into it. Also, the lowest level membership in Netflix allows you to get the Roku box and have a huge library of content on-demand.
The best solution is to forget about television all together. I have not watched tv for more than 12 years (other than at bars, or friends houses), and I don't miss it one bit. There isn't much good programing on these days.

And, there are so many better things to do with your time than sit in front of the boob tube.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: USA
3,966 posts, read 9,150,540 times
Reputation: 2197
I wish i could cancel the cable and cell phones. I'd listen to music and do nothing else. My wife is the tv junky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
 
912 posts, read 2,257,575 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Or you could improve the quality of your life immeasureably by just NOT WATCHING TELEVISION AT ALL!!!!!

20yrsinBranson
You'll be suggesting people start thinking for themselves next.............



My grandfather used to call television the 'idiot lantern' and he wasn't far wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top