U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM

6,810 posts, read 14,586,342 times

Advertisements

We haven't had cable TV for about 2 years and don't particularly miss it. We live in a rural area and can't get broadcast, either. We do have a TV and a DVD player, and we keep up our Blockbuster subscription (somewhat like Netflix, but we can go into a local store to return movies which were mailed to us and we get free in-store rentals, which is much better for renting something recently out).

We had a friend visit last month and it just about drove him crazy to not be able to watch TV.

On the other hand, I still have my $35 a month DSL subscription (through the phone company), which I use for all of my news - we don't subscribe to any print newspapers or magazines, but we do read many on-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM

298 posts, read 624,164 times
I always used to rent a series from blockbuster (instead of following it over cable as the episodes were aired.) Now I watch over the internet. Cable costs a lot and there are other ways to get access to shows.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 PM

821 posts, read 1,759,997 times
cable is not available where I live, I do have a tv antenna that gets a few channels
not had the tv on in ages
not enough time for tv watching

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,998,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
If you're spending too much on pay television, consider firing your monopoly cable or satellite provider and joining the 1% of Americans who watch all of their TV on Internet connections.

So what do you do after you get rid of cable or satellite? Here are some alternatives:

YouTube has launched feature-length programming, plus there's always Joost and Hulu. An estimated 20% of cable programming is now available through the computer.

Firing your cable or satellite provider can save you more than $1,000 annually.

Two friends of mine DITCHED cable television and they'll never go back.

Don't go cold turkey, but see if you can ease your way into it. Also, the lowest level membership in Netflix allows you to get the Roku box and have a huge library of content on-demand.

We cancelled cable and don't miss it one bit.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
We no longer have Directv because its just not in our budget. I'm struggling to just pay the utilities.

We have antennas and have our coupons for buying the digital box so that will bring even MORE channels.

I use the different websites alot to watch programs I have missed, I can watch my soaps and other network programs and I use www.bittorrent.com to download other programs that are on pay channels for instance for free from a torrent site called www.isohunt.com.

They also have series that are on regular TV, I downloaded the first couple years of Heroes and watched them one after another until I caught up with where they were on TV.

I do miss Tivo I have to admit but I just can't afford it now.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
My husband and I are cable-free for about 2 years now. Sure when people talk about some show we kind of look dumbfounded but that's a small price to pay when you talk about all the money we've saved. Now, if only I'm willing to lower my $47/mo Internet cable ...

Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
After working sometimes 50 hours a week, we both like to sit down and veg in front of the tv sometimes with some wine. That's something we won't cut out period.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Cable TV is cheaper than movies. Besides there are some shows we really like "Battlestar" for one and sports/open wheel car racing and the ubiquitous weather channel when they are actually doing weather forecasts instead of telling us tornados are dangerous and floods are a slow death. We already know that.

We do a lot of time shifting and commercial eliminating by using VCR's. TV wouldn't be worth it if we had to follow their schedule.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM

627 posts, read 1,820,913 times
Cut cable TV four years ago, never looked back.
We not watch our favorite TV shows on DVD via netflix. NO commercials or waiting if you want to watch the next episode.
Also, Redbox provides free dvd rentals on Mondays and Wednesdays. Just sign up at Redbox Codes - Get Free Movie Rentals from Redbox | Inside Redbox and get the promo codes via email.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:45 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,761,482 times
We recently got rid of DirecTV and I honestly don't miss it.
I would love for us to be able to get rid of the home phone but we need it for the internet.
Of course we could depend on Wi-fi connections around town but that's a bit too much work and when it's 2am and I need to get a paper done...I want the internet to be available at home.

A lot of times I pop in a movie when there is nothing on our local channels.
I sometimes just turn off the tv and find some stories on NPR to listen to or plug in the iPod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living