Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 12:58 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times

Advertisements

Does anyone dehydrate food for food storage and everyday eating? I am new to dehydrating, I started a few months ago when I bought a dehydrator. Since then I have found several things my family loves. I dehydrated strawberries to put in cereal or bake in muffins. We made apple chips, just sliced the apples and sprinkled cinnamon on them before I stuck in them in the dehydrator. My kids can't get enough of those. My sister and I made onion powder, cilantro powder, and few other things for dip and soup mixes.

I found these videos on youtube and the lady has really inspired me. I think my garden will be put to better use this year, fewer things wasted.

YouTube - Dehydrate2store's Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,695 times
I have used a dehydrator to make beef jerky. marinated a lean piece of meat like a london broil, then slice it real thin and let it go all day, it is so good. My brother has also used his to dehydrate fruit like apple slices, real good for that too.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I use my dehydrator a lot. I love it.

I started with jerky - major major savings
When on to fruits - again, some major savings, and got more fruit into our diet
On to vegs - a great instant soup, easier storage than canning jars
I've now done my own boulion, eggs, spices, rasins, etc.
I've also dried some greens (the vines from the garden, crab apples, and other other things) that are in plenty during the season,for our livestock in the winter.

I think my dehydrator has more than paid for itself, and was an investment that really produced "snowball" savings.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
I have, quite a bit. I've done it several different ways. When I had a gas stove with a pilot light in the oven that works for some things. When I had an oil cook stove, I had a rack hanging over it primarily for drying mushrooms, we gathered a LOT of oyster mushrooms. I also have had several electric dehydrators. When I moved from AK, I gave away the smaller ones and kept the big one. The smaller ones had plastic trays and were best for making fruit leathers. The big one is about double the size of the average microwave with a lot of rectangular screens and several heat/blower settings. That's the one I use most, for dried apple slices, diced onions, diced green peppers, some veggie chips, jerky, dried salmon [not as good as smoked, but passable]. It's one of my favorite kitchen accessories.

I should probably also mention that I got all my dehydrators from garage sales or thrift shops. I didn't pay more than a couple dollars for any of them.

Last edited by karibear; 04-07-2009 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We grow garlic and onions, dehyrate both and run them through a grist mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living