U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 AM

1,940 posts, read 7,969,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has invented a breaker panel that can measure power consumption at each breaker, and where it can send you a weekly/monthly report via email (hey maybe it is a wifi client)... that would be cool. By being aware of how and where you consume you can figure out a strategy to save.
there is something like that. i was trying to find you a link for it, but square D's website has been down for a couple of days.

i don't think you could justify putting it in your house; the cost of it is too high to see any return in a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 PM

256 posts, read 790,157 times
how?

why would you see it 'over time' but not right after installing them? look at your historical data (available from poco) for the 12/mo prior to installing the CFL's. That will tell you the truth. You're either saving money or you're not. There is no "break-in" period.

Anyhow, you can expect to save around $10/mo if you use a lot of lights.

Your water heater and hvac will consume the most power. Turn those down if you really need to save some energy.

their is, it all depends on how much you used your lights..when we was painting we used our lights alot. so we see a break, since we arent painting their is not need to use the lights all the time..------> showing the break period for us.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,738,435 times
A CFL will definitely provide the same amount of light as an incandescent (regular) light bulb for less power, the difference being the regular lightbulb also generates a fair amount of heat.

So during A/C season you should save not only on the power that goes to lights (and as noted, it's a small %-age really, almost always less than 10%) and you will save on your A/C as well as it's not "fighting" the lighting system.

But if you use straight electric resistance heat, (still fairly common in the Pacific Northwest) you won't save anything on the CFL bulbs - the heat not produced (electrically) by lightbulbs is replaced by heat produced (electrically) by the heating system.

In any case unless you use a lot of lights, and little other power, or if you have a very high per-kW rate, you won't see a great amount of savings from CFLs. At the same time, the CFLs will almost certainly pay for themselves and more over their relatively long service life.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 7,969,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
their is, it all depends on how much you used your lights..when we was painting we used our lights alot. so we see a break, since we arent painting their is not need to use the lights all the time..------> showing the break period for us.
using that logic, you would've saved money by staying w/ incandescent if the only savings you realized was by using the lights less often.

yes, CFL's use less energy, but the percentage of your power bill that goes towards your lighting is minimal.

as the price of them continues to come down, it will be a more worthwhile investment. CFL's are a long-term savings solution; the reason they put on the box the dollar amount you could expect to save over its lifetime is that if they put how much you would save per month, you most likely wouldn't purchase them.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,709,725 times
I know that the incandescent bulb is being phased out and know that there is a real energy savings with the CFLs but I question if there is any real money savings. Many types are much more expensive and depending upon use may not last long enough to show positive economic results. The next wave of energy efficient lighting is LED bulbs which are terrific technology but are so expensive that it may be decades before they are cost effective.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,430,083 times
I've been pretty happy with all my CFLs. I have one outside that stays on between 12 and 18 hours a day and is at least 5 years old. There have been a couple of anomlies such as flickering or burning out too quickly. I'd say about 5% have this problem. If you threw the package away, you can buy some more of the exact same kind, and then put the old defective bulbs in the package and return them. Works for me!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,615,271 times
We use mostly CFLS I have made the following observations:

1. They cost a lot more.

2. They say that they last longer than incandescant bulbs. This does not appear to be true. They certainly do not last as long as is stated on the packaging - not even close.

3. They do not fit in all light fixtures.

4. They do not work in motion sensor circuits. This is bad becuase in our family (where no one will turn off a light to save their lives), motion sensor circuits save more energy than CFLs ever will.

5. They break more easily than incandescent light bulbs. Again this is probably only an issue in a large and raucus family like ours.

6. People tend to think that it is OK to leave them on all night since they are more efficient.

7. Once you overcome number 6, there is a noticable savings (we switched about 20 incandescant bulbs to CFLs and saw a drop of a few dollars a month after I got people to stop leaving them on all night).

8. If there is some special way to dispose of them, it is not well diseminated. We just throw them in the trash. They usually break when I am removing them anyway and all of the stuff inside them ends up all over my hands so we are probably not polluting the environment, just my hands.

9. The really cheap CFLs in jumbo packs do not save you any money. They do not last as long, break more easily, and usually some of them do nto even work at all.

10. The do not work well outside as porch lights. They simply are not bright enough. They also all dies when it got really cold. Maybe they just all happened to burn out at about the same time. Maybe the cold kills them, I am not sure.

11. Some of them buzz.

12. Some of them take a while to get glowing. The start kind of dim and brighten over time. One kind that we have take a good five minutes or more to get to full brightness. These are specialty bulbs designed to replace can light bulbs.

All of these issues aside, we still use them wherever we can.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-20-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 03:23 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,814,885 times
I jumped on the CFL bandwagon at first, but have since reduced the number I use as the light is just not as good, especially for reading. But they come in handy in some basement rooms, for the outdoor light post and they are ok in decorative lamps i.e. ones with shades. But for overheads or anywhere where significant light is needed, no way.

They are not a total solution, but they have their role and place.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,239,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We use mostly CFLS I have made the following observations:

1. They cost a lot more.

2. They say that they last longer than incandescant bulbs. This does not appear to be true. They certainly do not last as long as is stated on the packaging - not even close.

If you are using them in rooms that you may only spend just a few minutes a day and are turning the light fixture on and off frequently you are killing the bulb life

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 AM

24,718 posts, read 59,615,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If you are using them in rooms that you may only spend just a few minutes a day and are turning the light fixture on and off frequently you are killing the bulb life

We use them all over. Pretty much every room has one or two. ''There are some fixtures that they do not fit in. If they are phasing out regular pbulbs, I need to start stockpiling incandescent bulbs. Do they have a limited shelf life? If I stockpile 1000-2000of them will they last for 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living