U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,115,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post

You should also be aware that CFL bulbs will have markedly different "colors" of light - from a softer yellowish color, to the stark bluish light.
That's good to know, I hate that blue color. When I'm walking down the street in my neighborhood I can see the homes that have that blue light. Gives them an industrial look. I thought maybe it would grow on me over time, but to be honest it doesn't appeal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,172,775 times
CFL's are a waste of money. They take forever to get "warm," most of the time they burn out within 3 months, ect. Next house is going to be all LED's, die Edison bulb.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,710 times
At the moment in the uk we are getting forced to get rid of ordinary bulbs and change over to cfls. I hate them , you cant see properly with them , they can give you skin conditions if you are susceptable , the light is abismal and of poor colour , terrible for anyone over 50 whos eyesight is failing . we are being told they are good for the environment but they have mercury in them which isnt so good for your health , they have to be disposed of by taking them to your council who will make sure they are treated as hazardous waste.. so there goes a gallon of gas for you every time a bulb blows
and if you are unlucky enough to smash one you are told that you should open all the windows in the room and leave the room for at least 15 mins till it clears.
If any one wants to know how good these cfls are then email me and i will tell them all about them . ben5552@hotmail.com

Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,287,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben5552 View Post
If any one wants to know how good these cfls are then email me and i will tell them all about them . ben5552@hotmail.com
Actually I don't need to ask, with the exception of some halogen work surface lighting in the kitchen most of the bulbs in our house are CFL's and my experience is completely different than yours.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
Don’t buy CFL’s, at least not for areas that have frequent short use cycles, such as bathrooms, hallways, garage, or any other area where you would use the light for less than 15 minutes, since they are likely to fail prematurely… Just buy incandescent lights for short term use and areas where breakage may be more likely (i.e. the ceiling fan where you play the WII)… CFL's burn out prematurely for short term usage areas like bathrooms...The better solution is for people to learn to turn off lights and appliances that are not in use… Not using power unnecessarily will save you more money than over-paying for a toxic light source like CFL’s…Buy a bunch of cheaper incandescent bulbs for now, and then wait for LED’s to come down in price… BTW Global warming is a lie in my opinion; and, since CO2 (which is water soluble) is less than 1% of the total atmospheric make-up it cannot be causing the earth to warm (Mars atmosphere is mostly CO2, and there is no global warming there) . Look to the sun, that giant hot thing in the sky, it is responsible for 100% of the earth's warming, and makes the ozone layer (no sun, no warming and no need for an ozone layer)... Remember your Earth science class: Earth’s atmosphere is78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1%.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,710,724 times
I like CFL's. I had them installed in every light fixture in my apartment. I found a place where you could get the high-quality kind (little/no warm-up, good warm yellow light) for $0.99. I never had one fail or break, but I was careful with them during installation due to the mercury content.

I ended up moving out and not being able to take the bulbs with me (as I had in previous moves) Now I'm waiting for a chance to go overseas around Xmas and pick up some cheap LED's before I come back to see how well they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlies View Post
BTW Global warming is a lie in my opinion; and, since CO2 (which is water soluble) is less than 1% of the total atmospheric make-up it cannot be causing the earth to warm (Mars atmosphere is mostly CO2, and there is no global warming there).
There is indeed global warming on Mars, but the atmospheric pressure is very low so temperatures do not get very high. Venus's atmosphere is also mostly CO2 (96.5%). Because the atmosphere is thicker and made of greenhouse gasses, and the surface temperatures are high enough to melt lead (462 degrees C).

The CO2 content of Earth's atmosphere is around 300 PPM or 0.003% and that is sufficient to keep us at a comfortable global mean temperature of 14 degrees C. Increasing CO2 concentrations to, say, 1700 PPM by liberating Carbon sequestered by subducted prehistoric plant and animal matter (fossil fuels) will put us around the same CO2 concentration as the Cretaceous which had a global mean temperature of 18 degrees C, or +4 degrees compared to today. It is postulated by historical precedent and computer models that global temperatures will follow global atmospheric concentrations.

Thus far, the majority of observational data of CO2 and global temperatures indicates that the Earth is warming as predicted.

Quote:
Look to the sun, that giant hot thing in the sky, it is responsible for 100% of the earth's warming, and makes the ozone layer (no sun, no warming and no need for an ozone layer)...
The sun is responsible for the majority of Earth's heat, although internal heat from radioactive sources (80% of internal energy) and residual heat from planetary accretion (20% of internal energy) does account for a small percentage of the global heating. The majority of heat from internal sources is conducted through the lithosphere into the oceans where the crust is thinner.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,611,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
...They take forever to get "warm," most of the time they burn out within 3 months...
Except for the lights inside the oven and refrigerator, all my lights are either high efficiency florescent tubes or CFLs.
None of them take more than a few seconds to get to full intensity.

I had the house built in 2006 and have not changed a light bulb yet, except for one outside CFL that got wiped out by a falling branch.

As far as the color issue, CFLs come in various color temperatures. 2700K is a "warm" light and considered the normal for general household use for both CFL and Incandescent bulbs.

For use where color matching is important, such as photo lighting or art studios, they are available in 5200K "Daylight" or 6300K "Brilliant White".

These cooler, full spectrum CFLs are also used as grow lights.
Their energy consumption is a fraction of what Halide or Sodium lights cost and they don't have the heat related problems.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:45 PM

70 posts, read 156,969 times
Yeah , LED lights consumes less electricity...they are quite cheap to use...

Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maralyn45 View Post
Yeah , LED lights consumes less electricity...they are quite cheap to use...
Wow.. talk about waking up a dead thread...

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 AM

75 posts, read 141,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Wow.. talk about waking up a dead thread...
While we're on the topic of a dead thread I figured I'd give my experience with CFL's. When I moved into my house 10 years ago I bought a handful of CFL's, which I put into my bedroom, the living room and the bathroom. As my incandescent bulbs burned out I continued to buy CFL's as replacements. I am happy to say that I'm still on my original ten year old light bulbs (yes, including the one in the bathroom!). The light is fine, and I've never noticed any type of so called "warm up time" as mentioned by people in this thread. I'm getting ready to move this fall, and am contemplating taking my oldest bulbs with me to see how long they can continue to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living