U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Reputation: 12782

Advertisements

We use CFL bulbs in areas where lighting quality is less important, and LEDs where light quality is important.

We haven't paid for electricity in years (solar panels + gas furnace).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
 
6,401 posts, read 6,522,361 times
Reputation: 9803
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We use CFL bulbs in areas where lighting quality is less important, and LEDs where light quality is important.

We haven't paid for electricity in years (solar panels + gas furnace).
Nice. We're renting a house right now, but if we owned, we'd install solar. In Tucson, it only makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Nice. We're renting a house right now, but if we owned, we'd install solar. In Tucson, it only makes sense.
In NJ, the sun sucks in the winter... if we didn't have all natural gas appliances and furnace, there's no way we would have been able to pull off these low electricity bills.

We actually had a month last summer where we produced less electricity than we used (it was evened out by other months)... due to excess heat that particular month. Our AC is what killed us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 AM
 
6,401 posts, read 6,522,361 times
Reputation: 9803
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In NJ, the sun sucks in the winter... if we didn't have all natural gas appliances and furnace, there's no way we would have been able to pull off these low electricity bills.

We actually had a month last summer where we produced less electricity than we used (it was evened out by other months)... due to excess heat that particular month. Our AC is what killed us.
I'm familiar with the lack of winter sun over there; I grew up in SE PA, and went to school near Hackettstown, NJ. You're doing really well with the solar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'm familiar with the lack of winter sun over there; I grew up in SE PA, and went to school near Hackettstown, NJ. You're doing really well with the solar.
Well, I cheated... I have panels on the living quarters roof, the shed, and pool house. But only the living quarters uses any real power. We rarely if ever use climate control in the pool house. I'm too much of a wimp to make it out in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Ohio
14,348 posts, read 12,626,378 times
Reputation: 19082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Remember that incandescant bulbs create more heat than light. So if you turn on a 100 watt bulb in the summer time, it will take nearly 100 watts of air conditioning to neutralize the heat it generates, so the real elecltrical cost of a 100 watt bulb in summer is closer to 200 watts. Conversely, the equivalent light can be obtained from a CFL at 26 watts. Negligible heat, so let's say 30. About 1/6 of the cost.

I've had a few CFLs burn out, but most have been working now for four years. I get them at the supermarket for less than $3 each. Even if incandescents were free, they would cost more than a $3 CFL after less than 200 hours, which is a month.

My apartment is rather dark, so I would be using 5 kWh a day on lights that are on all the time. Just those would cost me 75c a day, if they were incandescent, not counting the added AC to defeat their heat, so just three CFLs is saving me at least $20 a month. Mild climate months, that is about half my total electric bill.
So....I guess that means in the colder months {most of the time here in Ohio} having incandescent bulbs throwing off heat is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,143,979 times
Reputation: 2677
We are stockpiling the incandescents because any fluorescent can cause headaches and medical problems for me. The flicker rates are never the same and they are dangerous for certain light sensitivities. LEDs also cause me problems. [We actually use oils when the power goes out in place of the LED flashlights and one Halogen we have which are on batteries]

I do not think they save money; I think it absurd to use light bulbs with mercury when the same govt. which wants to mandate them banned mercury thermometers!

There is a movement it Texas to stop this foolishness. There is a bill in Congress over it. [I read they also want to make the incandescents there as well -- as opposed to China]

No CFL bulbs here or anything in the same category like LEDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,227,916 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
We are stockpiling the incandescents because any fluorescent can cause headaches and medical problems for me. The flicker rates are never the same and they are dangerous for certain light sensitivities. LEDs also cause me problems. [We actually use oils when the power goes out in place of the LED flashlights and one Halogen we have which are on batteries]

I do not think they save money; I think it absurd to use light bulbs with mercury when the same govt. which wants to mandate them banned mercury thermometers!

There is a movement it Texas to stop this foolishness. There is a bill in Congress over it. [I read they also want to make the incandescents there as well -- as opposed to China]

No CFL bulbs here or anything in the same category like LEDs.
It's fine to present your concern about mercury in CFL bulbs, but when doing so, you should present the facts in its entirety. A single home-use thermometer contains more mercury than a CFL bulb by a factor of up to 600. So clearly a CFL isn't anywhere close to as bad as a thermometer, and thus, the logic used by the government in this regard has substance to it.

Additionally, LEDs do not contain any mercury so your argument against it are invalid. LEDs don't flicker either.

If LEDs and CFLs both bother you, how do you possibly use a computer monitor or watch a TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,714 posts, read 8,256,996 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's fine to present your concern about mercury in CFL bulbs, but when doing so, you should present the facts in its entirety. A single home-use thermometer contains more mercury than a CFL bulb by a factor of up to 600. So clearly a CFL isn't anywhere close to as bad as a thermometer, and thus, the logic used by the government in this regard has substance to it.
And with that - how often does one stick a light bulb in their mouth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,770 posts, read 18,448,689 times
Reputation: 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
CFLs has mercury and I definitely don't want that contaminating the water supply as it already has...
Your average household thermometer has 100 times the mercury of even the most high concentration CFL. Every study shows that even directly after breakage the amount of mercury released fails to exceed acute standards for exposure. In fact, it barely exceeds chronic exposure so unless you're breaking open CFLs 8 hours a day every day for years on end you've got nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top