U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,088,545 times

Advertisements

This is something I should have always been doing but I find as money gets tighter I am planning my errands better. I plan them out like I see a map in my head so I don't go out of my way on that particular day. If I am going up towards Deland then I go and take care of other things on the same day, then on the day I go South to Sanford the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,105,690 times
I wish there was a way to save on dairy products... milk, butter, and yogurt seem so $$$ lately to me. [/quote]

Save the dairy products for your kids. Adults are better off not eating them. If you eat cereal, switch to oatmeal with a little honey, cinnamon or fresh fruit. Try substituting extra virgin olive oil for butter. It isn't cheap but a little goes a long way and it isn't full of sat fat, salt, and hormones.

I'm not a health nut, but the older I get the harder it is to digest some foods so I have been experimenting with eliminating some of these items. Giving up dairy was the best for me personally.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,441,379 times
Work those kids! Whoops, I mean, rather than an allowance, why not set a price on yardwork? If they want extra $$, THEY can return the bottles and cans.

Realistically, my kids are expected to do certain chores around the house, that's just a part of being a family under one roof. My son's best friend is here so much, even HE has chores. But when I want a section of our woods cleared of brush and saplings, they got paid to spend a Saturday doing it. When I want 2+ cords of wood stacked, they get paid if it is done right the first time and in a timely manner. Kids these days need to learn that money does not come from the sky. You have to earn it, so do they. I think it gives them a realistic view of what life is going to be like, and when they have to earn it, they think twice before spending it!

There have been a couple of comments about quilting being the work for zombies, well, I happen to love it. I find it very rewarding to make something from nothing and have it be utilitarian. Yes, it is very time consuming, but when you are snowed in or are zoning out in front of the admitted idiot box, it's a great way to keep busy. I have had relatives request quilts for gifts and have had some that were sold for $100's, so say what you will, but money from nothing is a win in my books!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM

540 posts, read 1,176,667 times
I use liquid laundry detergent that I buy on sale. For some reason, I find great deals at Walgreen.

I stock up when they have the big jugs for $1.99 and then I only use 1/2 a capful per load.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,047,061 times
I have a tip that may seem counter to the ones being offered here.

I say it's a waste of time to clean venetian blinds. It's difficult, time consuming, and you never get them clean. It's better to drop $3.97 at Wal-Mart for a brand new blind. This is especially applicable if you are selling your house.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:35 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,105,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I have a tip that may seem counter to the ones being offered here.

I say it's a waste of time to clean venetian blinds. It's difficult, time consuming, and you never get them clean. It's better to drop $3.97 at Wal-Mart for a brand new blind. This is especially applicable if you are selling your house.
I also hate cleaning blinds. It is cheaper to make some roman shade/curtains for your windows. You can let them down or draw them up and when they get dirty you can wash them again and again. There are very inexpensive sew on findings to create them in any good fabric store.

Last edited by yukiko11; 05-01-2009 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,088,545 times
I am thinking of getting some of that film you put on your windows that shades the house from the sun. Its supposed to keep it from heating up inside which would be good in Florida. Its something I think I can do myself AND it will give me more privacy. I have some nosey neighbors who will def. notice they can't see in my windows and they will wonder why. If I get the shaded kind and not the mirrored kind, it shouldn't be a concern with the HOA that rules my life.
I also have some antiques and am about to hang a very old tapestry that need protection from the sun.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM

26,589 posts, read 53,070,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
I use liquid laundry detergent that I buy on sale. For some reason, I find great deals at Walgreen.

I stock up when they have the big jugs for $1.99 and then I only use 1/2 a capful per load.
I agree, especially if you have a front loader, you only need about half the detergent that they say to use--even of the HE variety!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,749,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Save the dairy products for your kids. Adults are better off not eating them. If you eat cereal, switch to oatmeal with a little honey, cinnamon or fresh fruit. Try substituting extra virgin olive oil for butter. It isn't cheap but a little goes a long way and it isn't full of sat fat, salt, and hormones.

I'm not a health nut, but the older I get the harder it is to digest some foods so I have been experimenting with eliminating some of these items. Giving up dairy was the best for me personally.
I agree with the dairy stuff... my husband and I don't eat it very often. Mostly just ice cream once in awhile as a special treat, but even then we mostly eat coconut bliss which uses coconut milk and is sweetened with agave, not sugar. I like my homemade almond milk better than cow's milk, but my kids drink regular organic cow's milk and eat cheese and they also like cottage cheese and yogurt. We only buy the organic dairy, produced by local dairy farms near where we live. We have found good prices at a local natural foods co-op, so this is good...

Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM

3,832 posts, read 6,196,232 times
I invested a $100 in an Aquasana water filter that attached to my kitchen sink faucet. I bought a six pack of glass ice tea bottles. Drank the iced tea and now used them for my filtered water. I can put the bottle and the cap in the dishwasher when needed. I save hundreds of dollars every year on bottled water and I am not filling the landfills with plastic bottles.

A word of caution: while glass bottles are OK for most adults they are not suitable for small children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or