U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 10,961,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You are right.

I don't know what makes the difference. Sometimes our stuff is stiff. Other times it is not.

The stiffening must be residue from somewhere

Just put them in the dryer for 5 or 10 minutes to fluff and soften, especially towels. And, gets rid of most wrinkles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,719,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Fabric softener?
When you hang your clothes on a line, they are soft, and smell nice too. No need to run a dryer, which consumes power and costs more money.
I must be doing something totally wrong. I often hang my clothes out to dry, yet never have my air-dried things been softer than my dryer-dried things. Towels, blankets, and bed linens especially. It does save you money, though, to stop using your dryer.

I think one of the best frugal household tips I can think of is just to not spend money on things you don't need. Make a budget and stick to it. Don't eat out - cook simple foods at home. For years my husband and I have chosen to live beneath our means. He makes very good money and we could afford many luxuries and many more conveniences... but we choose not to spend on those things. We live well beneath our means and save the extra. This has helped us to live debt-free and to save and tuck away money as "padding". Our cars are paid for, no credit card debt, no school loans, and we rent a small apartment that is a third of what our housing expenses would be if we were to buy. (Though we have been considering buying now that many home prices have dropped so dramatically recently in our area...) The typical American mindset has most of us thinking we "need" this or that... when you really don't. We can all get by with much less and have more pocket change to show for it.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,269,037 times
I think that the extent that someone wants to go to save, is up to them. we are all in different circumstances. I like being able to save a few bucks here and there. I think that we should not diminish the fabric softner sheet tip. if someone uses these sheets all of the time, cutting them in half really gives them twice as much for their money. You can do the same thing with the olay facial wash sheets! grocery shopping for sales, only buy clothes that are on sale, etc. are great tips. using the local library instead of buying books. deciding if you need your cable tv or not. phone service choices etc. one of the best tips..do you own cooking! also, if you can plant just a small garden, what a benefit. if you only eat tomatoes, put in a couple of plants! turning off lights in the rooms you are not in is also a great saver. using only cold water when you wash laundry.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM

4,663 posts, read 5,907,077 times
I make my own biscuits. I can make 100 biscuits for the price of 20 frozen "homemade". Flour, shortening, a little milk. Stir it up pat it out, cut the biscuits. Bake. Yum.

I wish I could more ways to reduce my electric power bill. Thermostats are set at appropriate temps, we have changed our light bulbs to the florescent type and keep lights off when not needed.
We have unplugged everything that is not in use, to prevent waste there We keep blinds closed during day in summer to keep out heat and open during winter to let sun in. I wash clothes on cold water and use my clothes line when weather permits.

I just do not know what else to do . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,969 times
Electric is a big one, and hard to cut. I use it to pump water into the house, and out of the house (waste water, septic) other than that it's lights, frig and freezer. I keep my freezer full, only go in the big one once a week (and stock the small one on the frig) My stove and hot water are gas. My dryer is gas, although it still takes elec as does the washer, but they are not run all the time. The only thing left for us (unless someone has other ideas) is to put in a windmill to pump the water.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
In the summer I turn my water heater down a notch. I think though you end up getting to a point where your next savings on electricity would involve looking into solar panels.

It's a hard game to play with rates going up the way they do and you trying to cut back.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 PM

1,301 posts, read 4,493,282 times
Purchase in bulk at Costco and split the cost with a friend.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 AM

510 posts, read 912,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Cut down on cable services or phone services.
Purchase thermal lined curtains if necessary (this cut down my heating HUGE).
I can't see it. Once the cold air is inside your house, what good is a piece of cloth ung in front of the window? It may stop the draft, but it won;'t do anything to keep the temperature from dropping due to the cold air infiltration. You might as well just wear a sweater. That cuts the draft and conserves body heat. Thermal drapes are a complete waste.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
I can't see it. Once the cold air is inside your house, what good is a piece of cloth ung in front of the window? It may stop the draft, but it won;'t do anything to keep the temperature from dropping due to the cold air infiltration. You might as well just wear a sweater. That cuts the draft and conserves body heat. Thermal drapes are a complete waste.
I have a large window in my office (was the master bedroom) and in addition to it being in a bad place for strong winds, it made the room cold all the time. I bought a set of blackout drapes, not the cheapies but really beautiful ones, for fifty dollars from ebay. It is amazing how much of a difference they made. I have a small space heater in use when I'm in the room but while its not warm its not cold either.

Yes, do wear layers. One indoor gas heater and a couple of space heaters with sweaters and boots kept me toasty when it was 19 outside this winter.

But the thermal curtains really DO make a huge difference.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,358,554 times
These ideas are great. What i think is even better is its not just the ones who are not "well off" saving. My family may not be well off...but we have been trying to save every little penny here and there, which has brought our family together more.
So thank you for all these great tips...im definitly going to start some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or