U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM

123 posts, read 390,791 times
Default Money Saving Tips

With the economy the way it is it is always good to find ways to save money. For people living in the triangle any money saving ideas would be great. Where are the shopping deals? We started with canceling Cable TV and kept our cable internet conncetion. There is free TV on the internet so we figured why have both.
Some sites:
Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.
Home - Joost
Free Videos Online - Watch TV Online - Free Video Clips | Veoh

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM

115 posts, read 225,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Beat to death, 1000x over and over again.
That was a little rough. There are a lot of people who don't know you can watch tv on the web for free.

I think we should take this thread and run with it. There are a lot of ways to save and get more for less in these difficult times.

In our case it's coupons, coupons, coupons. My wife bought about $200 worth of groceries the other day for about $110! I was so proud!
Did you know that there are electronic coupons that you can apply to your food store card? Apparently, when you scan your card at checkout, they are applied to your bill. No paper to cut out.

Anyone else?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM

415 posts, read 699,018 times
I don't use coupons because I almost never buy brand-name items at the supermarket. I save money by:

* planning meals in advance and then shopping for only the ingredients I need
* utilizing the Angel Food Ministries monthly box of food
* eschewing most prepared food items. e.g. I buy dried beans instead of canned; heads of lettuce instead of prewashed bags; flour, sugar and soda instead of cookie or biscuit mix; etc.
* planning meals around 2-for-1 items advertised in the sales flyers
* getting my boyfriend to take me out to dinner and then always saving half to have for lunch the next day

You didn't think I'd leave that one out, didja?

Last edited by Jenny_B; 02-06-2009 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,083,494 times
If you actually are going to go out to eat this is a great site:
Restaurants.com - global restaurant guide

I get a lot of emails from them with the $25 certificates that cost $10 being 70% and 80% off. So you only spend $2 or $3 for a $25 certificate! When we do go out to eat we take advandtage of these huge discounts.

Last edited by DanielleNC; 02-06-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM

8,112 posts, read 11,107,947 times
One of our money-saving tactics was finally cutting the umbilical telephone cord. We just use our cell phones now.

We've started clipping coupons from the Sunday paper. Not sure we're saving too much, but at least it more than pays for the cost of the N&O subscription each month.

We've eliminated most magazine subscriptions.

We've cut back on the amount we eat out. Used to average more than once a week. Now we average less than once a week.

We've tried to limit "in between" grocery store trips (that always result in more than the one item you went in for).

My wife and I have stopped buying gifts for each other on gift-giving holidays like birthdays, anniversary and Valentine's Day (and put a strict budget in place for Christmas).

We're eating more leftovers. Used to be none. Now we plan a couple of meals each week that we know we can get either a second dinner out of or some lunches.

We've stopped buying beer.

We're watching the thermostat and remembering to turn lights off.

Sheesh, sounds bleak. It's not really. We've just found there are lots of ways we can be more frugal without having too great an impact on our lifestyle.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM

4,846 posts, read 9,700,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
GOOD LORD! Can't you cut out something less important. . . . .like. . . I don't know. . . . .baby formula?

Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,702,708 times
Here has been my plan:

Prior to the recession
  • Eat out 7 times per week
  • Eat really good tasting food, including greasy meats
  • Go to the races
During the recession
  • Go to the races
After the recession (prediction)
  • Go to the races
I don't like change.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
If you actually are going to go out to eat this is a great site:
Restaurants.com - global restaurant guide

I get a lot of emails from them with the $25 certificates that cost $10 being 70% and 80% off. So you only spend $2 or $3 for a $25 certificate! When we do go out to eat we take advandtage of these huge discounts.
Mrs. Jeep has printed some of these, too. $25 coupons for $2 or so is a great deal! We've had some great meals in some pretty nice places for four for about $10. Can't beat that with a stick!

Most of the places that offer these coupons are trying to increase their customer base and in our experience, they try harder, too.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,731 posts, read 14,333,680 times
-on 1 Sunday a month we mass cook with all the dicing, grating done in one big swoop and partially cook a oven full and then freeze for later.
-share subscriptions to magazines with neighbors and friends
-TIVO everything and cancelled netflex-no movies
-consignment store for good kids clothes
-no shots or boosters for indoor cats-premium food for optimum health
-keep one car mostly locked up trying to decide if we can get by with only 1 family car
--we all wear sweater in the house-keep it set at 66 during day and turn it off at night
room heraters for individul rooms at night instead of heating the whole house
-no more recreational shopping
-reusable containers for school lunches and snacks-even milk with little frozen packs
-wash aluminum foil-yes it works
-kids wear clothes at least twice before washing-with most girls they don't really get dirty and there is certainly no body odor- fresh underwear every day
-rare restaurant trips-more COSTCO now
-never pay full retal and always use coupons only if you would have bought that item anyway
-try generic on everything- you'll be surprised
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living