U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,598,412 times

Advertisements

From the Environmental Working Group's list of items tested for pesticides by several independent labs:

From highest level of pesticides:
1. Peach
2. Apples
3. Sweet Bell Pepper
4. Celery
5. Nectarine
6. Strawberries
7. Cherries
8. Kale
9. Lettuce
10. Grapes

(sourced free under Creative Commons license, so free to distribute)

These are pesticides which are not removed by washing or peeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
If people interpret the article as saying "Don't buy produce - save money and buy cheap, mass-produced processed food", then that's a problem. But that's not what it's saying.

Any produce is better than no produce.
The overwhelming majority of "organic" produce grown in the US is grown by the same agribusinesses and picked by the SAME migrant workers as the regular produce. The profit margins are MUCH, MUCH higher.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,603,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Saving a few buck by not purchasing organic produce is NOT a money saver and in no way can it be considered a FRUGAL practice. It's a stupid and potentially very costly practice. You either pay it up front on organic produce or pay it down the line with medical bills, surgery, drugs, PAIN, and diminished quality-of-life. Simply a pennywise and pound foolish idea.
I guess you'll just have to continue to call me stupid then, that is until someone cares enough to send me the extra money it would cost to buy organic for 5 people.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
NicoleJ wrote:
I guess you'll just have to continue to call me stupid then
As stated previously in post #20, there are no stupid people! We all just do stupid things and make stupid decisions from time to time. Of course, saying that something is stupid is merely a judgement, and the only judgement that really matters is your own.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,638,277 times
I do prefer organic produce over regular, but it is not always possible. Buying directly from an organic producer though saves on cost and if it's a great one, will be delicious!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,638,277 times
That being said, I have stopped buying bottled water and now use my own portable metal container in which I put just regular tap water in it when I go out. I've never bought any extended warranty and definitely do not pay overdraft fees anymore!! It used to happen often a few years ago, but now I know much better.

I never download any music: prefer to just go on youtube and buy an album I really want once in a blue moon (hasn't happened in over two years). Or just borrow it from the library, same with DVDs. We just saved a bunch on our car insurance because our FICO score got higher.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM

242 posts, read 1,039,489 times
Default 7 things that aren't worth the $

ORGANIC FOODS are 100% better than non-organic. First the soil has been replenished with the natural nutrients. Crop rotation methods they use, not the same crop is planted year after year in the same place. No pesticides, No herbicides, you know, how you plant a home garden that is organically grown. You also get MORE vitamins and minerals with Organic foods. Conventional farming in the USA is just void of beneficial nutrients that we have with ORGANIC FOODS. It is like saying, do you want to drink clean water ( ORGANIC FOODS) or do you want to drink dirty water ( non-organic foods) Plus there are many foods grown today that are considered UNSAFE because they have been contaminated with so many chemical, grapes, strawberries, lettuce, celery, red and yellow, purple and green peppers, cucumbers , apples and more. From being sprayed so much, there are more, but I cant think of them,right now. and 75% of our foods have been grown with GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS... which needs more dangerous sprays on them.... SO ORGANIC IS YOUR BEST CHOICE to eat and be on the safe side.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,742,894 times
I buy organic and I get it cheap because I'm fortunate to live in an area where the small farm and family farm is supported and promoted and organic is considered the best option for the future.
UT Organic Crop Production
Earth Fare -- an organic grocery chain out of the Carolinas -- sells organic produce cheaper than I can get non-organic at Walmart, Super Target. Organic Gala apples are 99 cents a pound (on sale). Right now they've got organic avacados 10 for $10.
During the season I hit farmers' markets. Thanks to state support, you can find one every day of the week within a 10 mile drive of Knoxville.
Fortunately the hills of East Tennessee have never been conducive to agri-business so family farms have stayed healthy.
The push for small farms and healthy food has to come from the consumer. Connect with a Slow Food organization near you and make changes.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,064,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Or just borrow it from the library, same with DVDs.
Our library is an incredible resource for CD's and DVD's. And... when the libraries have money to buy, they pay attention to what's being borrowed. In other words, the more people borrow them, the more they build the collection.

If you are a regular borrower, I would suggest also donating DVD's and CD's to the library. Something you don't listen to anymore, but is in good shape... and is something that people would value.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,422,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I would never buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer (although huge applianecs I would recommend - washers, fridge, etc.)... I have a home shield warranty that covers my appliances... my pipes, my heater, my water heater, etc. etc...

i break a pipe - im covered, my dsihwasher fries, i'm covered, my furnace doesn't work, im covered..

The extended warranties on gadgets though - not worth it. I bought a computer that a 1year warranty from the manufacturer and they wanted me to buy a 2 year protection plan.. which covered the same thing my warranty covered. lol.
It really depends on what you are buying the warranty on.

For my children's electronics, I buy warranties.

My son's Vsmile was replaced in full once, his DS was repaired by Nintendo and the warranty I purchased from target for $19 is still in effect.

I bought a double stroller from toys R us for $169, they offered a warranty for $16. The way strollers break I figured it was a no brainer. The safety strap broke and some other minor problem happened to, and it was nearing the end of the warranty. So I called them up. They required a letter stating the problem and that's it. They didn't even make me take the wheel off. They sent me a check for $169, which I cashed, all the while the stroller is still in the basement, and though I cannot strap my son in the back (which is made for a toddler to stand up or sit) there is really little need for an older toddler/young child to be strapped in anyway, it is still usable. I was only out $16.

I bought a warranty on our portable DVD player and it broke after 4 months. Now, the reviews for that particular model led me to believe this would happen , but due to the fact that it's plug matched our other dvd player with a battery that no longer worked, and had other features we liked, we bought it anyway with the warranty. I just took it back to Best Buy, the manufacturers warranty is still in effect so when it couldnt' be fixed I got a new one and my warranty is still in place.

Warranty on my dryer proved valuable.

I have had a lot of success with warranties, but you have to pay attention, keep your records, and make a claim when necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or